Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hydronaut for 2017 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Haven't seen it yet, only saw him loosing to an w ll surfing Adriano with impeccable wave choice and seemingly more committed top turns

    Comment


    • #47
      Had a chat with Daniel Thomson this weekend at the Boardroom show in Del Mar. He said he would like to do a Firewire release of the Hydronaut, but in his words, there is only so much rack space at surf shops so he is limited to working on roughly one new board release per year. Obviously the new Stu board is the one coming out right now, so it sounds like that pretty much covers 2017.

      He mentioned he needs to have a chat with the Firewire folks about the hydronaut (like it's on his todo list). He was musing that maybe (hopefully) in time for the coming winter (northern hemi) he could get something worked out.

      My takeaway was that the best case scenario would be late 2017 for a Firewire Hydronaut, but even that sounds far from guaranteed.

      I didn't ask him about construction since I don't really feel too strongly either way on LFT vs FST or whatever.

      Comment


      • #48
        There's a 5'9" FW hydronaught up on gumtree at the moment for anyone in NSW interested, too small for me otherwise I'd have been keen. Guess it must have been a FW proto.

        https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/shel...omo/1147969249

        Comment


        • #49
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBON...&feature=share
          Something about the skx.

          Cool find with the HN!! Looks super rad! Would be my next board I don't need but still buy if available...

          Comment


          • #50
            Tomo just posted a picture on IG of something he called a #hydroshort. I've heard a few other people talk about this too as a squashed down version of the hydronaut and apparently XTR has just gotten the files on how to build one. Any one have any additional details on this thing? Wondering whether it's just a change in dimensions to pack more foam into less length or if there are any other changes too to things like rocker or tail area. And what sort of waves it's designed for. i.e. still a step-up, but for people who like their step-ups short? Or is it meant to surf a completely different range of waves like the stubby bastard vs regular bastard.

            https://www.instagram.com/p/BURNABcA...rfboards&hl=en

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by 11thstreetsurfer View Post
              Tomo just posted a picture on IG of something he called a #hydroshort. I've heard a few other people talk about this too as a squashed down version of the hydronaut and apparently XTR has just gotten the files on how to build one. Any one have any additional details on this thing? Wondering whether it's just a change in dimensions to pack more foam into less length or if there are any other changes too to things like rocker or tail area. And what sort of waves it's designed for. i.e. still a step-up, but for people who like their step-ups short? Or is it meant to surf a completely different range of waves like the stubby bastard vs regular bastard.

              https://www.instagram.com/p/BURNABcA...rfboards&hl=en
              Yeah saw that, i would've thought a squashed down Hydronaut would be the Omni, but heh what do i know!
              Anyway enough stalling FW, get the Hydonaut or Hydroshort released asap, loads of people queuing up for it!!!

              Comment


              • #52
                I got bored of waiting, so ordered an XTR 5'11 Hydronaut. Stoked!

                Comment


                • #53
                  Well by watching stu at fidji assuming he is on a HN these things need to be ordered smaller/wider. Stu looking absolutely not in tune with his imho and to my amateur eye it seems like there is too much foam in front and to straight of a rail so he looks kinda stiff on it (unlike 2015 in sunset). He needs more curve in his rail line, so shorter/a bit wider midpoint. But maybe someone else knows this better. Meanwhile michel bourez killing it on a 6'2 FireWire pyzel ghost.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Goodfish View Post
                    I got bored of waiting, so ordered an XTR 5'11 Hydronaut. Stoked!
                    I just would of been stoked to get an email reply.
                    I guess since he's hit the big time he hasn't got time for the average Joe

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Those who have the Hydro - what are your initial thoughts? looking for a step up from my SKX - for the serious days

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Love Tomo's new nose curves is this the future. https://www.instagram.com/p/BcQqh35HRyV/?hl=en

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          I guess DT wasn't lying to me earlier this year when he told me the hydronaut was his favorite shape to ride. His Hawaii quiver has 4 hydronauts plus one hydroshort.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by 11thstreetsurfer View Post
                            I guess DT wasn't lying to me earlier this year when he told me the hydronaut was his favorite shape to ride. His Hawaii quiver has 4 hydronauts plus one hydroshort.
                            Yeah he told me the same thing, said over 4ft it's his favourite. He was pretty coy, but said it should be out next year, i asked if Helium, he said probably LFT as don't want it too light for solid surf. Pity Helium would have been rad.....they should make a special super strong helium build with thicker/heavier skin!

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              He was also surfing a Cymatic in firewire lft build in shitty small conditions, after he put his hydrofoil vanguard away. Cymatic has a Nano/Hydronaut nose with scifi tail.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by powman View Post

                                ... i asked if Helium, he said probably LFT as don't want it too light for solid surf. Pity Helium would have been rad.....they should make a special super strong helium build with thicker/heavier skin!
                                Yeah! They already do with the Helium kite boards. They should just use that same construction for the step up boards.

                                I know folks like to argue that it's a myth about needing a slightly heavier board in big waves, but I disagree.

                                True, while paddling and standing and riding, it's not really a big deal. You could totally be fine riding a Helium board in big, step-up conditions. Because the weight difference between boards is totally nullified by the weight of your own body. BUT the problem is the transition from laying down to standing and riding. In my experience at least.

                                When conditions call for a step up, there is usually a lot of water moving around and even on a relatively glassy day, there is simply going to be more texture and wind on the surface near the crest of the wave. When the board is very light like Helium, it gets buffeted around a bit more at the critical moment when you are weightless and trying to land your feet in precise locations on the board. A slightly heavier board just seems to track along better and has a higher likelihood of being exactly where you expect it to be and still trimming along at the correct angle when your feet land.

                                The end result is that the pop-up just feels a lot more smoother and in control. Again, on smaller or fun size waves, this sort of thing isn't an issue. But whenever I decide to grab my step-up, it's usually because I'm near the edge of my own comfort zone and in that situation, every little thing to make life easier is appreciated. And a nice stable pop-up sets things up nicely for the rest of the ride.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X