X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tre
    started a topic How should you size the tomo board

How should you size the tomo board

How do you size the tomo board. Should you use the same volume guidelines as the rest of the boards or do you go smaller?

• nsjoel808
    replied
    Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
    Anyone getting on these yet? Curious how people are finding them for paddling. I'm still juggling between 506 and 504 and need to make a decision!
    Likewise, Im 165. Saw them in the shop yesterday, been anxiously awaiting for feedback from someone on a 5'4 or 5'6
    Kudos for the first in depth VG review!

Leave a comment:

• Slowman
    replied
    Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
    Anyone getting on these yet? Curious how people are finding them for paddling. I'm still juggling between 506 and 504 and need to make a decision!
    I believe mine is in the country but still in Currumbin, due to the floods in QLD things have been a bit delayed, I'm guessing all the logistical resources are being used up to get food and other things to people in flood affected areas in QLD and northern NSW. Won't be long and I will have it.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Yeah keep in mind too, Daniel Thomson surfs at a level where his Weight to Volume ratio is smaller than what it should be for a lot of us. He is an incredible surfer and doesn't need the same buoyancy. when you are in the top .5% of surfers in the world, you view equipment differently.

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    thought this quote from tomo regarding small sizes might help some people (like me) who are contemplating dropping volume.

"In regards to the reduced volume, combining the above design aspects results in significant speed (thrust) increase due to the reduction in drag (both surface resistance and turbulent). The angular tails also help with this. As for paddling?? Obviously there is reduction in paddle power, however in my option I am happy to give up a little paddle luxury for a significant performance upgrade. Saying this, the relative fullness in the front end of many of my designs, allows you to get forward on the board when catching waves and use your feet to kick. Admittedly, my most refined work is not suitable for every riderís ability."

Sounds like the boards have plenty of get up and go, but if you want to glide around the line up and get lots of waves it's probably best to stick to more normal volumes.

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Freaked_Out
    replied
    Hey Big Leigh, how did you find paddling it and getting on the wave, relative to your potatonator?

Leave a comment:

• big leigh
    replied
    I didn't like the board, felt weird and didn't like to turn...maybe I was too big for the 5-10!!

Leave a comment:

• loza welsh
    replied
    Cheers Chris,
    Definately going with you on this one, the Vanguard doesn't seem like a board you over size and i've got a ozzy wrong 504 for when it's super grovel time! in the process of ordering a 502 but won't get my hands on it till March/April.

cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    I feel in your situation, so long as you are stoked to put some effrot into your surfing, you should go with the 502. that volume is closer to the low end, but the board paddles well and planes great. That would be the direction I went. If you are intermediate/advanced, you will be able to grovel it easily as well!!

Leave a comment:

• loza welsh
    replied
    Hi, new to the forum and after some advice.
    Been surfing a Tomo 5'8 19 1/2 2 3/8 MPH copy which is way too big for me, but surfs great, which i usually use as a step up. My go to board is a 5'5 19 1/14 2/1/8 DD . I'm really up for getting a Vanguard but not sure what size to go for, either 5'2 or 5'4. I'm 5'4 145pounds and usually where 4/3 wetsuit. Good fitness and inter/advanced standard. ideal volume 23-26.

any advice would be great, cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Hey Freaked,
    they are fast and the profile of the board allows there to be width under both feet and in the nose which means you can really milk it for added speed in slower sections. I think if you want the board to be your next small wave machine, go with slightly more volume. this will definitely ensure that it makes paddling a breeze, is easier to get up on, and works in a wide range of conditions.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• big leigh
    replied
    By the time I picked it up today swell was pretty wind blown!! I put my quads out of my potatonator in it, it didn't like it... I have set it up as a thruster will try again in the morning!! I can't seem to upload photos from my phone?? I reckon it looks cool but the misses hates it!!

Leave a comment:

• Freaked_Out
    replied
    that be sweet cheers

Leave a comment:

• big leigh
    replied
    I'm going to demo a 510 tomorrow!! I usually surf a 510 potatonator so volume is about 1 litre less!! Will post results..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X