Chumlee Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chumlee Impressions

Well, to begin I'll admit to being a firewire addict as I just picked up the Chumlee two weeks ago, and the Gamma this last saturday. So that makes number 15 and 16 for firewires owned.
    SO, the Chumlee. I was getting a bit bored with the TT baked that i had, so it found a new owner, and i picked up the 44L model, threw a quad set in and immediately paddled out in grovely 2ft lazy surf. The minute i started paddling I knew i made the right decision. Same volume as my Evo, but it paddles faster. Oh, and it feels about 2 pounds lighter. The way it catches waves shocked me. Very little effort, and the responsiveness has me reconsidering holding on to my Evo. Then, on saturday, i took the Chumlee out in some Jose swell in central florida. I used a large fin setup, MR fins with a Merrick rear thruster fin. Couldn't have been happier. I could extend my bottom turns around the long sections in a way similar to my longboard, but it transitions rails with ease off the lip! Basically this catches waves like the double agent, but performs like a more traditional shortboard once its moving. I also like how the Helium build feels softer underfoot, and on the ribs, than the TT. All was going well until my lower back locked up from working on floors for the past couple weeks, but ill recover. Looking forward to getting this and the Gamma out there in a month or so. Unfortunately ill be stuck in the desert for a while.

Thanks for the review, Paragon1. I'm thinking I will get a Chumlee as my summer board next year. Great to hear all the positive reviews of the chumlee and helium on here.

Comment

Nice review. Could you give a more detailed comparison of the CL vs the Evo? Do you think having the CL means you don't need an Evo?!

Comment

Originally posted by samadablam View Post
        Nice review. Could you give a more detailed comparison of the CL vs the Evo? Do you think having the CL means you don't need an Evo?!
        I've only had two sessions on my CL, and i've had my Evo since 2015. I'll start by saying they're two boards built under two different design philosophies. One is speed based, the other is volume/surface area, and the amount of performance you get from either has a great deal to do with your surfing/fitness. I've had some of my best sessions on the Evo, it's stability and predictability are by far the best i've surfed with. That being said, the wide square tail has given me issues from time to time getting it vertical, but it also could've been rider error (most likely case). What i like the most about the Evo is its ability to take off super late, but provide instant acceleration past the section on what most would be a closeout.

The CL, as many have stated, catches waves like the Double Agent did, but the biggest drawback to the DA was how hard it was to turn. Dan Mann seems to have combined the best of both worlds with the CL. Super early on the drop-in, and once its on plane its extremely agile for its portly dimensions. This should be an all-rounder as well, however in fast pitching breaks the Evo will have a leg up on it because...well...hydrodynamics that i can't speak to. The real question comes down to long term durability. I love how the Helium Tech feels, its super light, easily 1+ lbs lighter than my evo, and gives its a lively feel, BUT, it is softer underfoot. How that translates into durability is something only time will tell. I'm keeping both of mine for now since there's nothing like having a well-rounded quiver.

Comment

Thanks very much. Great analysis. Lovely quiver by the way!

Comment

I'd love to know about your physical characteristics (weight, height, etc). I'm 6'5" / 220lbs, and am about to pick up a a 6'4" / 44L Chumlee as I've been looking for something like the Baked Potato with a bit more nose rocker and a longer rail.

Comment

Working...
            X