No announcement yet.

Chumlee 1st impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats what i thought, my Large john john fins are stiffer with carbon on the tip to control the flex of the tip. They are more upright which feels fine, they have a wide base and medium tip not to thick and not to thin. They are bigger then your large carvers and FW fins.

Comment

Hey Fitchey, agree, just FW fcs2 sides fins are 15,78 vs 16,00 on the john john, so they are pretty similar - often overlooked set as the middle fin is smaller bringing it to a medium overall size ranking only. One of my favourite fins in fcs2. In general I prefer futures as there is much more choice.

Comment

Hi Guys... Just got my 6'1" Chumlee through and looking at it I can say it's very different to a lot of the other grovel boards. It's the best of the potato's in outline just less width in the mid nose and tail but much thinner, longer, more rocker and a much more refined rails that the Potatos. Its got some Double Agent features in it too.... Having ridden baked, sweet, nator and DA (some in different sizes) I can say it seems like it's got a solid chance of being the best of all worlds for waves knee to head high from just having a look. All the surface area for paddling but all the performance features for surfing.. Cant wait to get out on it :-) ride report to follow... Out of interest I have been on the Rainbow Fins Canard Quad (Speed Dialer) on my sweet and baked for years and love them. rear fins are almost completely upright which I think it the magic of them and and side fins are a H2 without the cant but yeah they just work for me so that's the first set that will go in the chum and go from there. Cheers.
        Last edited by lawson45uk; 08-10-2017, 09:18 PM.

Comment

should be good lawson, my thoughts were double agent like as well, it will be interesting to hear your thoughts in comparison.

Comment

Hi Guys.

Ride Report on the Chumlee

So I'm rocking the 6'1" 41.8 Litres I'm 40 86kg and ride mainly a slower beach break with plenty of wall and not usually too steep..

I could write for ages (and probably will :-P but basically the Chumlee is hands down the best board I have ridden in a long time. I have had Sweet and Baked Potato's and loved them didn't get on with the Potatonator or the Double agent. Chumlee is "THE ONE" for waist to just overhead for my local break. Got it Friday and ridden it Friday night, twice on Saturday and again on Sunday and had Punchy head high waves through to crumbly grovelers in the waist to head high range and it just gobbles up the lot..

The Shape takes the best of Potato and Double Agent elements in my opinion and also in my opinion beats them all as a package. I would say the shape is closest to being a thinner, more narrow, longer high performance sweet Potato. The tail and rails are nice and thin and sharp, the Rockers just right and the nose size and volume distribution are spot on. Just enough up front for paddling, thin enough at the back to Grip but still enough surface area and width to fly and I mean fly this thing is a fricken missile in the Helium!!!

I finned up with my Go to Rainbow Cannard Quads (Speed Dilaler) with the cutaway on the back fin.

https://shop.rainbowfins.com/product...d-speed-dialer

They have been the go to fins in all my Potatos for years. Before it was a G1000 rear (that's pretty much what all the FCS2 rears are now) and my regular fins up front like a Parko or a GAM and since changing years ago I have never gone back, faster more hold and still easier to turn... I think the secret is a deep fat upright rear fin in the potatos and seems like still the Chum (though I suspect the Chum is less sensitive). Gives you control without slowing the board up too much with rake..I can absolutely recommend them if you want the speed but also the control and maneuverability. The fronts on these are a H2 without all the extreme cant. Ideal if you want something between your performance fins and something that can be a bit trackey like the spilt keel controllers. Rainbow also do a fin that's a bit smaller than a controller called the Heater if you want to go that way. They have been really helpful over the years and ship internationally too so I don't mind giving them a wee plug on here :-)

First day it was punchy with easy head high sets.. I was really amazed at how much grip and hold it has and how confident I felt taking drops. I am pretty comfy on Potato shapes after riding them for years and our local wave is fairly fat and not very hollow but the Chumlee doesn't slide out like most spuds do on a steeper drop. Second wave I went into a close out straight down and the nose didn't catch at all so that gave me confidence in the board straight away. I would say in slower less hollow waves head high and under it's got almost as much grip and confidence as one of my fatter shortboards like say and almond butter or a rocket for me and you're in that bit earlier too as the potato style designs all paddle great and the wave often just picks the tail up and you're in. I would go as far as to say that for the same volume the Chumlee will be a better paddler than the sweet or baked and still feels really responsive. it's FAST too. Yup fast.. Like really fast.. It's as fast as any potato but you lay a rail down and it's right there with you gripping and turning not sliding out. Nice long arcing rail turns too if you want them and response is there for me too but i'm a pretty average surfer at best.. I found the board stable, easy to duckdive, easy to paddle, easy to catch waves and had plenty of performance for my ability. It's not going to grovel quite like an oversized sweet poato (i.e. like 5 more liters) but to be honest if you have a longboard or don't ride the absolutely marginal crap, the Chum really has you covered in most anything that's really worth surfing upto head high and a bit more if your in a pinch and riding waves that aren't too fast and hollow. Basically I totally agree with people saying if you have a Chum and a decent shortboard your sorted for most waves.. Second day was still fairly punchy and shoulder to just under head high and I had a ball. Fast, turns like a dream, confident getting in makes sections just felt so at home. It's like the potato I always wanted and i'm just as excited about it as I was my first sweet Potato all those years back. Last 2 surfs were in Crumbly slow onshore waves around waist high and the Chum was still on point.. Getting to the stage where you would probably be better reaching for a longboard or an oversized sweet potato but even that wouldn't really have made that much difference..

All up the Chum is magic :-)

Helium gets the thumbs up so far too. Very light which I was really worried about as I like the weight of FST but no downsides to Helium so far. It's extremely fast has a nice flex. Seems like it will be durable the rails are nice and sharp and It feels fine in onshore waves so far too.. Something about the flex has pretty good damping characteristics.. If you tap the deck when it's in the water it's a nice dun thud and you can see the nose reverberating just a little so seem to have some of the poly style characteristics So yeah Two thumbs up to Firewire, Chumle, Dan the Mann and Helium so far best first rides purchase in years.
            Last edited by lawson45uk; 08-13-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

6'1" Chumlee
              Attached Files

Comment

ha ha, you liked it so much you posted twice!

Comment

All over it mate :-)

Comment

great review lawson, i like my chumlee so much i would like to buy another one, a 6'3 to go with my 6'5!
                    I cant get off it as it has so much range, but as you say if its too small for the CL you may as well ride a longboard, OR you could buy a long one like a 6'5.
                    Mine competes just below 9ft longboards and is so much more fun, faster, flowing turns, and i can stand forward and cruise along like a mal rider.

Comment

Just rode my 5 8 Evo for the first time, coming off my 6 4 Greedy Beaver which ive been riding in everything.

Probably should be patient but even though everyone says the Evo paddles well it was still hard work after riding such a big board previously.

That said it was soo fast, set it up as a quad and maybe a mistake, it flew out in front of me a few times. The waves I did get, i defo made a section I wouldnt even of aimed for on the GB.

Anyways, im all for making my life as easy as possible with the GB but Im trying to learn turns and getting up to the lip but its a big board and quite stiff, hence me looking for another option.

Ive finally moved to the coast so surfing way more (North Devon, UK) but still way to make the most of each session.

So, would a 5 11 Chumlee be easier to paddle / ride than the 5 8 Evo?

I could possibly oversize it at 6 1 which i understand would be huge for me 5 10 / 75kg.

Thoughts?

Comment

Hi Reserves, Stoked for you that you moved to the coast. You are probably going to start improving very rapidly with more water time. I'm also 5'10" and 75kg (43 years old). I ride a 5'4" Evo as sort of a daily driver for average waves and a 5'5" Chumlee as a groveler when waves are seriously lacking in power.

What sort of conditions do you mostly surf? Is it generally glassy and lined up? Or a bit more mixed conditions with windswell and some bump on the surface or chop? Because while the Evo does paddle really well when the surface is relatively smooth, I feel like the shorter length starts working against it when conditions are choppy and you feel like you aren't going anywhere when you try to paddle.

The 5'8" should definitely be big enough for you, so it might be worth sticking with it a bit more. I think if you go with a 5'11" or larger chumlee, you will probably regret it. Unlike the GB, the chumlee (and Evo to a lesser degree) has a very wide tail. So if you really really oversize them, you will end up not being able to turn them in critical sections where you really need to -- like making a bottom turn on the wave of the day, to keep up with the face.

Since you are used to the GB and just looking for something with a bit more performance, I would highly recommend a 6'0" Hypto Krypto. That's still going to be pretty high volume for you and low rocker and longer rail line so it will paddle really well. But it will also let you maneuver much more than your GB. The HK actually has a lot in common with the GB (rocker, tail shape) and really covers a wide range of conditions. I rode a 6'0" HK a few years back when I was more of a beginner and had a lot of fun on it and it really helped me get to be a better surfer. I finally had to sell it when I improved and started surfing steeper waves, and found the need to dramatically drop down in volume. But by then, I was comfortable getting into waves much later (i.e. when they are steeper) so I didn't need the extra paddle power volume.

Anyway, that's just my perspective, based on my own experiences in recent years. Food for thought...

Comment

Hi guys, I recently listened to this podcast that has a great segment on surfboard volume vs. ability level. I think they probably err on the conservative (higher volume) side of the recommendation, but I think it's super helpful as they try to specifically define how skill levels correspond to actual maneuvers and abilities.

https://surfsimply.com/podcast/50-su...h-film-review/

Comment

Chumlee paddles much better than evo.
                            What 11th says is true, wide tails do not turn well on steeper faces, but I find the chumlee so much fun to gain speed and hit the lip or wrap a full carving cutback. It is a different way to surf, as in, not in the pocket, but a lot of fun.

Comment

Working...
                            X