Chumlee 1st impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chumlee 1st impressions

Today i rode my 6'6 sci fi in overhead powerful clean waves, too big for the 6'5 chumlee.
    After an hour i was hanging to take out the chumlee in something more manageable for a wide groveller so i pulled up at my local to shoulder to head high well shaped walls suited to mals mainly, and chumlees.
    I had my bamboo/carbon FW fins set up as a thruster, paddling out i noticed my arms touching the rails of the board, but it paddled well, and duckdived ok as a set broke on me.
    My 1st wave was a small insider with not much push or wall, the board paddled in well and was stable and easy not surprisingly.
    I have been surfing my evo a lot recently so i was relieved when i finally got a few decent waves the chumlee felt fast, although it is so wide my feet were sometimes out of range.
    I didnt do any major turns, on one head high wave i did a highline pump or 2 and the board took off like a rocket, me hanging on for the ride, i tried a cutback but i was too far forward and blew it
    The board felt very light on the wave and it will take some time to work out how to push it through turns but it felt good on rail, a lot different to a BP.
    My last wave in, i caught 7, i wrapped a nice clean cutback to finish.
    I cant think of any negatives to the board and i really like the feel of helium but i would not get a helium step up or hp board as i think it is too light for my ability.
    I can see myself riding it a lot in HH and under waves but i will be keeping my evo as well.
    I like the fact that the CL is 6'5 in length and i can engage that long rail in turns.
    The podcast with Dan Mann discussing the CL is good for a listen, helium does have a soft flexy feel to it, very different to LFT.

Great stuff Keith looking foward to ride and glide on my Chumlee think the waves are small this weekend again.

Comment

I think you will be very happy with it fitchy, a great cross between a small wave board and a true groveller.

Comment

Nice review evo, keep the helium tech comments coming.

Comment

Cool review and good you had a few waves

Comment

Great review Keith, CL sounds like a sweet board.

I do agree the helium is light which I love, but does get a hairy on HH to OH on the take off if it's offshore. But for me it's half the fun doesn't seem to loose any speed either.

May have to look at CL for those onshore mushy days that are coming

Comment

Any ideas on sizing for me?

I'm 43 years old, 5 10" 170 lbs, low end intermediate.

Guessing it's between the 5' 9" and 5" 11", I used to have a 5' 7" Baked Potato, but went down to a 5' 5", regretted selling the 5' 7"

I have new Evo (5' 8") which goes ok, but my home break is weak windswell, so want a chum lee for home.

Comment

Gday reserves, i have a 6'2 46lt evo and the 6'5 47lt chumlee, the CL with the longer rail and nose [and higher volume] does paddle better for me but not a lot better.
                I think 2-3 inches longer that your evo would be about right, the volume in the CL is well disguised and nothing like a BP or evo for that matter.
                Its design is based around surface area and length so look at those dims more than volume.

Comment

Surfed the Chumlee today in 2ft waves at Cabba beachies. First wave it felt a little stiff but thats because i was coming off my longer thinner 6'0 Amigo. But after i got a few waves and got the feel for it the board went great, really fast down the line and turns great, really responseive of the tail with the low rails holds and engages rail so well. had a few nice back and forehand snaps but most off the waves i was racing down the line close outs. Paddles great, ton of fun and really happy with the first session on it, a keeper for sure. Futures john john large thruster went well. The 5,7 Chumlee size is perfect glad i didn't go the 5'5. Might try it as a quad to, get some jack freestone future generation fins and quad rears.
                  Last edited by Fitchy; 08-04-2017, 10:26 PM.

Comment

hey fitchy, cool stuff! i just had my 2nd surf and it was exactly as you described. i surfed chest to shoulder high walls, the type of waves i used to surf my 6'8 dom or spit in, or lately my big evo.
                    The board went fantastic, easy paddle in, one pump on the inside rail and it takes off. Got one little steep section and wacked a nice reo, really smooth and releases so well out of turns to set up the next one. I got mine at 6'5 to be a flat wave fun board, not so much as a tiny wave groveller. It can be surfed like a normal shortboard even though it is very wide, the pulled down rails really engage with the wave face, perfect for wrapping figure 8 cutbacks. It has similar speed to the evo but the nose allows you extend top turns through the lip. Way better than Doms and Potatoes. So light ,strong and is a must have in everyones quiver.
                    I can see it being the board i ride most of the time, i cant see any negatives as i almost never ride overhead hollow waves.

Comment

Hi Fitchy and FW community, I got some stellar info out of this forum: thanks!
                      I'm on the fence for buying a Chumlee but not sure about the size (5'3", 5'5", or even a 5'7"?).
                      I'm 42, 5'9", 150 lbs and would like to use the board as a groveler but also for steeper reef breaks up to 4'. I had a 5'3" TT Baked Potato, which went great as a groveler but was a bit too floaty at times. How does the Helium Tech compare to TT or FST? Fitchy, since you like your 5'7", what are your stats if I may ask? Also, which size would you experienced Chumlee riders recommend for me?

Comment

Hey Flotsam, im 33 years 6'2 185lbs 84kg. My shorboard volume is around 31L and my 5'7 Chumlee is 32.8L. I haven't ridden a baked patato before but i no the Chumlee is more high performance out of the two. FST and helium i can't tell the difference in feel unless i surf them back to back in one session. I haven't ridden TT always to scared it's to stiff and the timber will crack in the long run.
                        Last edited by Fitchy; 08-04-2017, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Hey Keith, What fin setup is working well for you in your Chumlee?

Comment

Thanks for the swift response Fitchy!
                            Seems like a 5'3" Chumlee might be adequate then.
                            It would certainly be the better choice for duck diving.

Comment

Fitchy, i really like the FW bamboo fins, i bought them for my TT potatonater many moons ago and kept them for my evos, i think the centre fin is slightly smaller than the sides.
                              Have you listened to the Dan Mann wire interview, the guys on there talk about the wide tail grovellers liking quads, but they find that FCS carvers or any raked fin goes well in wide tailed boards.
                              I have the large carvers in my sci fi so will try them next.
                              You have futures? JJF in yours? Do they have much rake? I think the chum could be good with a fair bit of fin area with a stiff flex in the tip for drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X