No announcement yet.

Chumlee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• picked up the big chum and its waxed up for a surf tomorrow, It reminds me a bit of the potatonator but with nicer rails and a bit more curve in the rocker and concaves. I enjoyed the PN but didnt like the TT so much.
    Just looked at an SKX in the shop and its a very HP shape, the one i looked at was like a toothpick 5'9.
    Going through a few holiday snaps, here is a couple of a very talented surfer.

Comment

• Hey Fitchy have you had a chance to give the chumlee a proper go yet? what's the verdict?

Comment

• Hi Guys.

Ride Report on the Chumlee

So I'm rocking the 6'1" 41.8 Litres I'm 40 86kg and ride mainly a slower beach break with plenty of wall and not usually too steep..

I could write for ages (and probably will :-P but basically the Chumlee is hands down the best board I have ridden in a long time. I have had Sweet and Baked Potato's and loved them didn't get on with the Potatonator or the Double agent. Chumlee is "THE ONE" for waist to just overhead for my local break. Got it Friday and ridden it Friday night, twice on Saturday and again on Sunday and had Punchy head high waves through to crumbly grovelers in the waist to head high range and it just gobbles up the lot..

The Shape takes the best of Potato and Double Agent elements in my opinion and also in my opinion beats them all as a package. I would say the shape is closest to being a thinner, more narrow, longer high performance sweet Potato. The tail and rails are nice and thin and sharp, the Rockers just right and the nose size and volume distribution are spot on. Just enough up front for paddling, thin enough at the back to Grip but still enough surface area and width to fly and I mean fly this thing is a fricken missile in the Helium!!!

I finned up with my Go to Rainbow Cannard Quads (Speed Dilaler) with the cutaway on the back fin.

https://shop.rainbowfins.com/product...d-speed-dialer

They have been the go to fins in all my Potatos for years. Before it was a G1000 rear (that's pretty much what all the FCS2 rears are now) and my regular fins up front like a Parko or a GAM and since changing years ago I have never gone back, faster more hold and still easier to turn... I think the secret is a deep fat upright rear fin in the potatos and seems like still the Chum (though I suspect the Chum is less sensitive). Gives you control without slowing the board up too much with rake..I can absolutely recommend them if you want the speed but also the control and maneuverability. The fronts on these are a H2 without all the extreme cant. Ideal if you want something between your performance fins and something that can be a bit trackey like the spilt keel controllers. Rainbow also do a fin that's a bit smaller than a controller called the Heater if you want to go that way. They have been really helpful over the years and ship internationally too so I don't mind giving them a wee plug on here :-)

First day it was punchy with easy head high sets.. I was really amazed at how much grip and hold it has and how confident I felt taking drops. I am pretty comfy on Potato shapes after riding them for years and our local wave is fairly fat and not very hollow but the Chumlee doesn't slide out like most spuds do on a steeper drop. Second wave I went into a close out straight down and the nose didn't catch at all so that gave me confidence in the board straight away. I would say in slower less hollow waves head high and under it's got almost as much grip and confidence as one of my fatter shortboards like say and almond butter or a rocket for me and you're in that bit earlier too as the potato style designs all paddle great and the wave often just picks the tail up and you're in. I would go as far as to say that for the same volume the Chumlee will be a better paddler than the sweet or baked and still feels really responsive. it's FAST too. Yup fast.. Like really fast.. It's as fast as any potato but you lay a rail down and it's right there with you gripping and turning not sliding out. Nice long arcing rail turns too if you want them and response is there for me too but i'm a pretty average surfer at best.. I found the board stable, easy to duckdive, easy to paddle, easy to catch waves and had plenty of performance for my ability. It's not going to grovel quite like an oversized sweet poato (i.e. like 5 more liters) but to be honest if you have a longboard or don't ride the absolutely marginal crap, the Chum really has you covered in most anything that's really worth surfing upto head high and a bit more if your in a pinch and riding waves that aren't too fast and hollow. Basically I totally agree with people saying if you have a Chum and a decent shortboard your sorted for most waves.. Second day was still fairly punchy and shoulder to just under head high and I had a ball. Fast, turns like a dream, confident getting in makes sections just felt so at home. It's like the potato I always wanted and i'm just as excited about it as I was my first sweet Potato all those years back. Last 2 surfs were in Crumbly slow onshore waves around waist high and the Chum was still on point.. Getting to the stage where you would probably be better reaching for a longboard or an oversized sweet potato but even that wouldn't really have made that much difference..

All up the Chum is magic :-)

Helium gets the thumbs up so far too. Very light which I was really worried about as I like the weight of FST but no downsides to Helium so far. It's extremely fast has a nice flex. Seems like it will be durable the rails are nice and sharp and It feels fine in onshore waves so far too.. Something about the flex has pretty good damping characteristics.. If you tap the deck when it's in the water it's a nice dun thud and you can see the nose reverberating just a little so seem to have some of the poly style characteristics So yeah Two thumbs up to Firewire, Chumle, Dan the Mann and Helium so far best first rides purchase in years.
        Last edited by lawson45uk; 08-13-2017, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Great review!

Comment

• fkn forum!

Excellent work Lawson, top of the class, i did type a reply earlier but forgot to copy!!!!
            It was along the lines of liking the soft flex of helium, it is foreign to me as i have ridden stiff tuflites and LFT for so long.
            But i understand now why guys like PU flex now as it feels more organic [man] ;] and does dampen chatter and bump.
            And like you i dont mind that the chum is not an extreme low end groveller, most of the time i ride waves in the waist to head high range, where my evo used to shine but i think i will enjoy the CL more for its much different ride characteristics.

Comment

• Cheers guys. Yeah they got something right for sure which is really positive for everyone as there has been some not so good feedback on some tech and durability recently so i'm really happy that Helium really does seem like it may be well be as promised the best of FST durability and LFT flex and ride as that's what I really want to see. I was really worried that they would get everything else right but the lightness would spoil it's performance in chop and loose momentum but no not at all it's the fastest tech and board I have ridden and feels fine in choppy onshore so really well done Firewire. It actually flexes less than FST if you turn it upside down and GENTLY give it a little pressure but there is something in it that's giving that really nice damping. Guess it's like fins and suspension... If you can achieve a well controlled flex and return you in the magic zone.. For my local waves and my average ability and the fact that I totally love potato style boards and have gotten used to them over the years the Chumlee is pretty much a quiver killer for like 75% of what I ride and that's a big call for a man with 16 boards that's tried about every Firewire I could get my hands on :-) For waist to head high it's the best thing I have ridden. It looses out by a touch at the overhead and under wast but hey if it did those well it would be a compromise for the 75% of waves I do ride and who wants that... Feel like I can really get into the Chumlee and stop chopping and changing so much now :-) Bring back the sweet potato in Helium I will buy a 5'10" tomorrow :-) I used to ride Tufflites too Evo don't think I could go back to those :-) FST Dom and Rapidfire sweet potato were the game changers for me about 6 or 8 years back and it's been Firewire since.
              Last edited by lawson45uk; 08-14-2017, 06:05 AM.

Comment

• I'm 50yo & 73kg - ride a 5'3 HEVO in good waves, now looking for a groveller.
                Do you guys think a 5'7 CL would be ok & not too big ?
                I was contemplating a bigger Evo (5'6) but after reading this thread...

Comment

• Demoed & bought the 5'7, surprisingly responsive for such a wide board.
                  Bought my new CL secondhand with not a mark on it - so I guess the the Hteck must be holding up ok.
                  Last edited by top; 09-12-2017, 02:41 AM.

Comment

• good score, reports?

Comment

• I'm doing FIFO, only got a few crappy waves on it when home - great paddler & very quick to get up & going.
                      I think it's going to be a great summer board, had it set up as a quad & I usually prefer thruster in most boards I've had, so keen to try 3 fins next time home.
                      Last edited by top; 09-15-2017, 02:35 AM.

Comment

• Well that escalated quickly, just checked back on the site and looks like the old Chumlee is a hit. I like mine so much I've scaled down my quiver to 3 boards and I had 12!
                        It's all I surf in the UK 95% of the time, I did switch the fins upto Von Sol Stiletto quads, felt more drivey through a forehand turn.
                        Deck is still in mint condition and I've surfed it a lot!

Comment

• Just taken 7 months of wax off ready for a surf holiday, deck is mint, there’s the slightest depressions on the deck and I mean near impossible to feel.
                          Picked up a secondhand 5’11 also and use that when it’s really slack, just that extra bit of foam and it paddles super quick and still responsive at 21 1/2” wide.
                          Still feel that the Von Sol Stiletto fins are perfect for this wide tail board.

Comment

• Im really enjoying reading all this, i have missed the end comments. I have an Evo and a new MIdas and all i can think about is when i will ride the chumlee again!
                            Tomorrow im heading south for some real waves so will get the Midas out but i bet i will be looking towards the car wondering how my chumlee would go!

And i am the ultimate evo fan, i have found a new obssession/addiction.
                            Riding my big chum in head high plus waves as a quad really opened up the possibilities for having a 2-3 board quiver, 2 of them being chumlees,[haha] a small one for good waves and a bigger one for grovelling or bigger waves, hows that for confusion?

Really the chumlee has almost endless potential, it paddles insane, goes at warp speed and turns beautifully.
                            I rode mine recently, 6'5 47.7lts in knee high longboard waves, and it was possible, but not ideal. Still it was not far off keeping up with the 8ft logs. So from knee high to 6-7ft faces.
                            The only time it has felt a bit squirrelly was on a steep head high wave as a thruster, as i was going so fast the combination of wide tail and not enough fins wouldnt let me confidently turn it.
                            Since switching to the FW bamboo/carbon quads it has been a revelation, and i never used to ride quads.
                            Those von sols look good deadkipper
                            Last edited by evo maniac; 11-30-2017, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• Sounds like I need to at least give a chum a try ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X