X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jarendell
    started a topic Unibrow critique

Unibrow critique

Here is my unbiased assesment of the new Unibrow.First I'm 62 with >50 years in the water.5'10",170lbs and in good shape thanks to a friend Sal Ropero that owns an intense fittness center that caters to our local surfing community(Gabe Kling etc.)Recieved a 5'9" from Blue Sky Surf Shop and I've been using a Futures Stretch quad setup.Waves have been from chest to just over head with some surface wind to cut it up.The board paddles well into the line up and is easy to push under despite being 2.4" thick.Catching waves by paddling or by the quick tail push down is easier than any other board I've used its size.Comming down the face even in steep conditions was smooth and consistant.Turns both frontside and backside were sharp and had no problems pushing it on rail.Off the tops were square and cutbacks were effortless. Most impressive however is the instant and sustained speed.All together I feel this is another stellar Firewire/Dan Mann collaberation and highly recommend it to any one thinking of taking the plunge.

• Phill
    commented on 's reply
    My favourite technique :D

• dg5301
    replied
    Originally posted by garek007 View Post
    What did the OP mean by "quick tail push down"
    There's another term for it that's escaping me at the moment, but what he's talking about is the technique where you get a quick burst of speed from a sitting position by grabbing the front of the board and sinking the tail, then as you lay down, the board squirts forward as it pops back up. It can give you quick acceleration as you start to paddle, or you can even use it for a no-paddle takeoff in some conditions if you time it right.

Leave a comment:

• garek007
    replied
    What did the OP mean by "quick tail push down"

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    hey Csarqui,
    Yeah well i have been spending a little time back on the east coast to help with an ill family member and the Unibrow came to me right as I was heading back so I took a size that was a touch less volume than my 508 Dominator which I absolutely loved as my small wave board on the east coast.

The 510 Unibrow has been awesome here, but yeah if I lived somewhere that I didn't wear a thick wetsuit or I was constantly on waves at 13 second periods or better, i would be on the 509. Here thought the 510 has been perfect for me, but I could ride either.

Really versatile board!

Leave a comment:

• walkingdisaster
    replied
    Originally posted by cucuson View Post
    So here's my take on first surf of uni 5'11 w am2 techflex trifin set up. Chest to headhigh 75-100 yrd rides reef in semi-clean surf. The Uni paddles great cought any wave I wanted , at one point I had to slow down as the boys in the water where giving me the stink eye cause I was catching so many waves. Quik get up and go and very responsive in turns ,does S turns with ease very solid top turns & sooo fast I was making sections that a lot of the other boyz wherent making. Cant wait to try it in overhead surf. Very solid and fast board!!! Im in love!!!
    Good to hear more positive reviews. I'm currently waiting on delivery of a 5'8, none in the country at the moment so looking about another week or two before I can get my hands on one. Which doesn't matter now anyway as I pulled the intercostal muscle in my rib cage while bodyboarding on Saturday and even breathing hurts. Prob out of the water for at least 3-4 weeks grrrr.

Leave a comment:

• csarqui
    replied
    Interesting that this thread ended up here. It took me a while to find it.

Hey Chris, how do you like your 5'10? You and I are about the same size and weight, and live in the same area. I'm used to you going a bit smaller than me on the sizes. I'm considering the 5'9, but noticed that you went with the 5'10. If you could do it over again, would you do the same?

Leave a comment:

• cucuson
    replied
    So here's my take on first surf of uni 5'11 w am2 techflex trifin set up. Chest to headhigh 75-100 yrd rides reef in semi-clean surf. The Uni paddles great cought any wave I wanted , at one point I had to slow down as the boys in the water where giving me the stink eye cause I was catching so many waves. Quik get up and go and very responsive in turns ,does S turns with ease very solid top turns & sooo fast I was making sections that a lot of the other boyz wherent making. Cant wait to try it in overhead surf. Very solid and fast board!!! Im in love!!!
    Last edited by cucuson; 04-21-2013, 09:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RobinL
    replied
    I uploaded some pics earlier in the post that show the rails. No substitute for feeling them though. There wasn't much difference between the 510 and the 60 in the rails to touch, maybe a little thicker in the tail. However, they feel less responsive to surf. I think because the board is sitting on the water more than in it this has a greater impact than I expected.

Leave a comment:

• madprof
    replied
    Originally posted by RobinL View Post
    Wise words from buzzy. I also think the 511 would be good for you if you want it to paddle well and your usual boards are 30l. i also found the 60 Dom too big so went for a 510 Dom. If they had had the 511 UB on the shelf I would probably have gone for it.
    What do the rails feel like on the 600? Are they quite full? Think I'm going to have to slog it over to one of the shops and have a look at them more closely. It's pretty hard to tell on the web.

The best benchmark I have is Sam Lamiroy (uses 511) who seems to have the same Dom & HZ as I do.

Leave a comment:

• RobinL
    replied
    Wise words from buzzy. I also think the 511 would be good for you if you want it to paddle well and your usual boards are 30l. i also found the 60 Dom too big so went for a 510 Dom. If they had had the 511 UB on the shelf I would probably have gone for it.

Leave a comment:

• RobinL
    replied
    Most of my board are 33l. I test rode the 510 and it surfed brilliantly. However, I went for the 60 because I wanted it to grovel well and also because I don't get in the water much. I think it depends what you want it for and how good a paddler you are.

Leave a comment:

• madprof
    replied
    Originally posted by buzzy View Post
    You'll know what volume is good for you. Go with whatever works for you. My UB is the same length as my Dom with my Dom being slightly over volumed and the UB perfect. The slight over volume means the Dom has virtually no bottom end.
    Good point about knowing your own volume. I think my ideal volume is actually a 5 11, which sits between the 5 10 & 6 00 models that are available in shops here...d'oh!

Leave a comment:

• buzzy
    replied
    You'll know what volume is good for you. Go with whatever works for you. My UB is the same length as my Dom with my Dom being slightly over volumed and the UB perfect. The slight over volume means the Dom has virtually no bottom end.

Leave a comment:

• madprof
    replied
    According to the volume calculator I should be on a board between 30-33lt, I wonder if it would be a mistake to go for a 6' 0 Unibrow for the extra foam given most of my boards are about 30lts? The idea is to get a decent all round board and a good traveller with a bit more paddle power. The concern is if I get the 6' 0 UB will it be too much of a fun board feel? That's what happened on my first Dom, went 6' 0, sold it and cut 4 inches off it...

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X