Clear All

• Wandi
    started a topic Morocco

Morocco

What board would everyone recommend for a trip to Morocco
    The Dom always comes away with me but what others would be the goods

• Erling
    replied
    This is the spot they normally surfed at Cap Sim. It was like this for a few days, and the rest was more like shoulder to head size.

Yeah CC and FF would probably be the right ones.... just afraid if the waves don't end up being that big and I would like the speed that the potatonator gives.

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    commented on 's reply
    Not sure about the waves in that area but I'd have thought the CC and the step up would be the right choice. I'd never go back to morocco without a step up now, at least for surfing the points.

• Erling
    replied
    Might go to Morocco in February, north to a place called Cap Sim. Not sure what to expect as I've never been in Morocco, but a buddy of mine was there last year (he's the one I might travel with) and they scored good waves for the entire 10 days. He's on an older 6'4 Alternator that he uses in everything, I think it's got a bit less volume than the new 6'4..
    I feel that I've dialed my quiver in quite good, but that is for the waves I surf here in Norway... so I'm really not sure what boards to bring. Considering taking all three, but might have to limit it down to two as there is not space in the rental car.

My potatonator is my go-to board in almost everything these days, unless it's overhead waves with some power then I go for the Chubby Chedda. Haven't had too many surfs on it though, but the few I've had have been good. The step-up have only been in the water just to see how it paddled, only surfed it once in medium waves. From the little time I was on it I felt that it got me into waves with ease, nice paddle glide... but I don't want to end up surfing a board this big if I don't have to.... felt a bit like turning a Cadillac at times, but it might have been that my back foot wasn't far enough back on the board.

So, what boards to bring if I could only take two? Wish I had a more standard shortboard @ 6'4 or something. 1-1.5xoverheads my where my comfort zone ends, but I guess I might end up trying to surf bigger waves than that based on what I've head about Morocco....

5'6 Potatonator
    5'11 Chubby Chedda
    6'8 Flexfire DirectDrive
    Last edited by Erling; 01-19-2014, 01:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    Yeah that middle third looks very possible. Maybe!!

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    yeah i figured. that perspective makes it look almost doable.

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    Ha, if only! There's about 4 different spots in that shot and a couple of them would be split into sections. I wonder if on the perfect day one has ever gone all the way through...

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    leg burn??

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    Good photo of the area we surfed this day. The second to last day I was there. The next day was even bigger.
    We pretty much went in, caught 1 or 2 waves each and them scrambled back in before we got annihilated. The tide was getting a bit high and waves were smashing into the cliffs and rocks so getting back out the water would have been impossible if we left it any longer.
    Pumping though!
    http://magicseaweed.com/photoLab/vie...4af8f54c4784d6

Leave a comment:

• Slowman
    replied
    When traveling I take the lightest, strongest most versatile boards I have, with a bit of overlap so one board can back up another if I break one. I try to get it down to 2 if that's possible. The weight is more manageable and doesn't make things so tight luggage wise with excess fees. My last trip I took my spitfire and it only had one or two outings and that was it and the HF would have sufficed anyway, in fact I change to it mid-session. I took 3 boards, 2 would have been easier. Hindsight!

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    Yeah I agree with all of that.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    I would say that guys who are heading down their with not much knowledge of the lineups and want to know what to take , think a little longer thicker boards why I say that is the waves are powerful but not often perfect , you need boards that can drive though the lumps and bumps take boards which you trust because you can take some heavy hits long hold downs so know your board . Indo boards may not suit thinner more refined boards for perfect conditions . Thats my take anyway

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    Yeah I agree. In a month it's very likely you'll want a step up.
    Last time I surfed the Spitfire quite a bit but that was in head high killers so could easily have been on another board.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    I am in the same boat as you prjwebb to many boards too choose from . Will be checking the long range forecast and make the call just before I leave will be their for most of Jan so expecting some solid swell at some point . Will be taking two all rounders a Stealth and a Fuego and will borrow a mates step up if required and will take a spitfire but I do not think it may even get wet . The last two times down their I may have required a grovel board maybe only for one or two days in total and the fuego can cover those days.

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    Yeah the Taj is widened out and pretty versatile though.
    I'm going 604R Flexfire for solid stuff, 600Q Taj/CBD for shoulder to overhead hollower or pockety stuff and 510 Mini Driver as an all rounder for chest to overhead slopey points or small hollow beachies if the swell vanishes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X