No announcement yet.

Firewire Teamrider Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though Taj isn't riding FW in this event, the change in equipment has generated a lot of chat from the commentators about the boards. They've just been saying a lot of good stuff about the boards. Every cloud and all that.

Comment

First mid heat buckle? Had to switch boards just now...

Comment

Just saw that! When was the last time that happened to him!!!!

Comment

Not impressed with Tajs surfing on his poly boards. He still is ripping beyond what most of us mortal humans can do on a surfboard, but he looks noticeablly slower. The announcers were saying he looked more powerful, Cmon guys its snapper rocks, not a heaving reef break. I think lightning quick turns look better out at snapper!! Nothing wrong with trying new equipment. Slater is constantly doing that and that has certainly factored in on his success. I think Taj should use Poly boards for more powerful surf to give that powerful look to his surfing. Firewires are just perfect for a wave like snapper!!! Just my humble opinion!!

Comment

Agreed there Hanalei. Hopefully that will not cost him a heat in the future!!

Comment

What FW tech is the stiffest? Do Tajs boards still have that center insert to make them a little stiffer than a normal off the rack board? Couldn't Taj just get a little stiffer set up from FW than he has?

Comment

idk i thought he looked ridiculously good his last heat.. surfing with quickness and power and his scores showed it.. he looks good on the board.. he looked good on the firewires as well... and as for changing out his board i think he might have known the heat was in hand and wanted to save the board for the next heat. or wanted to test out his backup to see how it felt. who knows

Comment

Yeah just watched that heat as the comentators had made quite a fuss about the board change and differences with epoxy boards but neglected one of the major features for me, which is the strength of the firewires. So I had to have a chuckle about that and the timing of the break.

He gives boards hell and has been spoiled by the durability of the firewires and being able to pull into anything and hit everything as hard as he can. Breaking a board in the middle of a heat will definitely have a psychological effect. It has introduced a new uncertantity that will need to be delt with somehow. How long before it starts costing Taj heats?

A confident Taj is a surfing freak and jaw-droppingly good. When he is tentative, flustered or nervous he is, somewhat frustrating to watch because you know he can do so much better.

Anyway I'm a huge fan and would love to see him as world champ regardless of what he's riding.

Comment

^ I agree! I thought he was fast and tore those waves to shreds.
                    Combo'd two very good surfers :)

Comment

Maybe im just biased towards Firewireboards!! LOL

Comment

yeah Taj is surfing great, though I think on his high performance 5'11 he was better at controlling his critical maneuvers, airs and reverses, etc. I think the wider and flatter template he is on will take some getting used to.

Comment

On Surfer Mag
                          photo.jpg

Comment

TAJ wins. must been the boards

Comment

3 finals in a row. 2 on FWs. Taj must just rip!

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                                3 finals in a row. 2 on FWs. Taj must just rip!
                                Indeed!!! the projection he gets out of the bottom turns is just mind blowing!!!.Definitely looking like a good start!!

Comment

Working...
                                X