Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll - What Board do you want to see in the CDB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stylar View Post
    Agree with the 1" increments, i miss out on a lot of boards too. I just don't want to see Firewire turn into another Apple, by innovating and then stagnating with controlled options being available.
    I've pondered how many more boards i would have, if the right sizes were availble. I've even contemplated turning back to the the PU darkside!!! I know i feel so ashamed, please forgive me!!!!

Based on my magic volume of end of 29 to 30 litres. these are the boards available to me

6'5 Artillery 30.2
    6'4 Flexfire 30.6
    6'3 hellrazor 30.9
    6'3 F1 29.7
    6'0 MB 29.9
    6'2 MB 29.8
    6'0 Mini Driver 30.5
    6'0 Stealth 30.5
    5.10 Unibrow 30.2
    5'11 Chubby Chedda 30.9

10 out 19 performance boards. Seems like a lot at first but since owning the hellrazor in 6'3 @ 30.9, an older refined 6'4 Taj @ 29.9 & a 6'3 F1 @ 29.7.
    I'm finding the razor a bit of hit and miss with the volume at 30.9, i can notice it and find the board hard to dominate at times compared to the Taj and F1.
    So I've learned that a board with a longer rail line has to have a max volume of 30 or I'll notice it.
    Where as my 6'0 stealth at 30.5 has become my daily driver, because i can dominate the extra volume to the shorter rail line.

Going with the trend of boards being shorter and wider for overall performance in a range of waves
    the options to me become smaller.

6'0 MB 29.9
    6'0 Mini Driver 30.5
    6'0 Stealth 30.5
    5.10 Unibrow 30.2
    5'11 Chubby Chedda 30.9

So out of the the Firewire brand range I only now have 2 boards available to me, due to the lack of 1" increments, in the range.
    the 6'0 MB would be perfect, but seeing as it's only offered in futures, and me with a stack of FCS is another entirely different argument!!!!
    I now looking for board with a bit more standard hp to compliment my stealth. I'm still not sure if the Mini, Unibrow or Chubby are too similar.
    I am leaning towards the 5'11 CC, but still unsure?
    Just my opinion but I would never get that hung up on volume...there is just so much more to consider. Yes its important and yes for a standard HPSB or Performance Hybrid you can have an ideal volume but there is other issues such as rocker, width and rail profile that are just as important.

Comment

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
      Just my opinion but I would never get that hung up on volume...there is just so much more to consider. Yes its important and yes for a standard HPSB or Performance Hybrid you can have an ideal volume but there is other issues such as rocker, width and rail profile that are just as important.
      I completely agree with you fw-fan. But that 29-30 volume range is based off boards i've ridden and how they performed.
      If I was too hung up on volume, the volume calc(which i know is just a guide) for 90kg @35yrs in advance level is min 31 max 34. Boards in that range (for me) would seriously impact performance.

As well as rocker, width and rail profile, there is also the factor of how the volume is distributed throughout the board.
      With my 6'3 razor for instance there is a bit more foam in the tail area than there is my stealth, which why i have to push the tail just that bit harder to bury the rail.
      Unfortunately i couldnt test the 6'1 razor, and looks like its one of boards like the Bourez that has a lot of volume distribution, that will allow you to ride it under volume if your ability allows.
      I know "Core" with his MB went form thick 6'2 to thin 6'2, and thinks the 6'0 thick which is the same volume as the thin 6'2 would perform better with the shorter rail line.

I have no regrets with my 6'3 razor, if anything the razor and stealth have taught me a lot about what i want out of a board. i just use it for the bigger solid days.
      Again in a perfect world, if the hellrazor came in 6'2 may have been just right, or if added to the CBD, i would have gone a 6'0 or 6'1 with wider nose & slightly bumped up volume.

Comment

ive just lost weight and need to change off the thin MB 602.. 84kg in boardies and i cant bite the rail on steep takeoffs..also not as reactive now..even with the help of more flexy (ea blakstix) fins.. (maybe in winter wetty it'll go again)... similar volume in HF is still knifey and whippet like... same volume in a proV-1 will get me back on a twitchier board... so def use vol as a start point only...the thing with volume is knowing how much of it is going to need pushing into the water... ie.. thin rails, short rail line and/or more outline curve and/or rocker can mean less board in water regardless of overall volume...also curves help initiate turns and getting the foam in...

so proV-1, replace my old perfect flexy, or forget normal surfing and go a vanguard..???

Comment

Is it just me or are all pdf's coming out with no details now? Tried adjusting a Bourez and a Flexfire?

Comment

Hey Suberimakuri, i think you might be opening the PDF with the wrong app. Make sure you are using the latest Adobe reader and are actually viewing it in that program. I bet that solves it...

Comment

FW-Fan, i think you make a valid point on volume, but in my opinion, it plays equally as important a role as all the physical specs you mentioned. Volume really tells you a lot about the DNA of a board and how volume is distributed over the length, width and thickness. Also I would never buy a board that had rocker that I liked, but was 8 liters more than what I normally ride.

It all depends on what scale we are talking. I think you are right +/- 10%, but outside of that, volume really begins to play into the equation.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Chris, was definitely Adobe X the problem. Sorted and viewing now..
                Interesting messing around with adding width and nose to MB but keeping tail similar and trying to keep thickness down.
                Going to be surfing a thick 510 at a left hand point tomorrow in head and a half... possibly too much volume in tail but will be interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  FW-Fan, i think you make a valid point on volume, but in my opinion, it plays equally as important a role as all the physical specs you mentioned. Volume really tells you a lot about the DNA of a board and how volume is distributed over the length, width and thickness. Also I would never buy a board that had rocker that I liked, but was 8 liters more than what I normally ride.

It all depends on what scale we are talking. I think you are right +/- 10%, but outside of that, volume really begins to play into the equation.

Cheers
                  Agree Chris..I certainly wasnt talking 8 litres difference but ..at least for me I can tolerate +/- 2 or so litres from my ideal without it being too much of an issue. After that we are taking boards for specific purposes such as uber grovellors etc. Some of the best boards I have owned have been Stretch Riedel quads where I knew my dims but had no idea of volume..I still don't but they work and thats because of many of the issues I named..but not specifically volume (within reason).

Comment

I like how the other shaper models now have the firewire logo on them as the main brand. Makes more sense to me.
                    Even when people asked me how my stealth went. They'd say "How's that firewire go" instead of referring to it as a "Lost" board.
                    Love the mayhem shapes but i'm not a big fan of the new lost logo either, That backward s looks like a lowercase e, making is read "Loet"

Comment

I'd vote for the Lost shapes (I'd order a mini driver today if I could get it CBD), and I would also love to have the ability to choose a round-tail option in the Alternator & Flexfire. I'd put a custom round-tail Alternator in my quiver in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by mudsak View Post
                        I'd vote for the Lost shapes (I'd order a mini driver today if I could get it CBD), and I would also love to have the ability to choose a round-tail option in the Alternator & Flexfire. I'd put a custom round-tail Alternator in my quiver in a heartbeat.
                        I would totally agree there Mudsak. The Lost shapes and a greater range of tail options on the stock boards like the Alt, MB, and FF
                        A 5,9 CBD alt with swallow tail would be sweet with a 601 Round tail setup up sister.
                        One inch increments would also be great. Some of the lost shapes would be more widely available to the masses, Like the CC.

Comment

I'm praying the Vanguard gets added to the CBD. Otherwise I'm probably going to have to try and get one made locally with stringerless EPS core, carbon rails and kevlar deck.

I'd rather stick with FW tech and Tomo's design than take the gamble with a copy though, so fingers crossed!
                          I'll be hanging on to my 506 for the time being, but I can imagine how mental this thing would be with the dimensions full dialed in.

Comment

i'm dreaming down the line... tweaking my rail volume and edge and also foil taper.... with the 6'2 x 18 3/4 flexy as a base i could make a doosey...!!
                            Last edited by core personal training; 05-12-2013, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Yeah rail volume would definitely be a really good tweak. I can handle centreline thickness but don't like the rails too thick. It starts getting pretty complicated and expensive to implement from there though.

Everyone needs to start ordering CBD boards so more money gets put back into it :D

Comment

The rail vol would be a really cool addition. To keep it simple they could have a drop down list with say 5 different rail profiles. Say full narrow and sharp square soft etc. You could chose the rail and tail type boom your own perfect custom. That would always be on file in the event that your pride and joy every got snapped.

Why am I getting so excited its never going to happen. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X