Expected performance of various fin setups on Baked Potato

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expected performance of various fin setups on Baked Potato

I'm no fin expert, and was wondering how I should expect these four fin setups to behave differently on a BP:

Futures Controllers
    FRONT FINS:
    HEIGHT: 4.50"
    BASE: 5.05"
    AREA: 18.24"

REAR FINS:
    HEIGHT: 4.53"
    BASE: 3.89"
    AREA: 12.06"

Futures AM2
    FRONT FINS:
    HEIGHT: 4.73"
    BASE: 4.64"
    AREA: 15.98"

REAR FINS:
    HEIGHT: 4.34"
    BASE: 4.07"
    AREA: 12.26"

Futures Rusty
    FRONT:
    HEIGHT: 4.51"
    BASE: 4.46"
    AREA: 15.00"

REAR FINS:
    HEIGHT 3.86"
    BASE: 3.55"
    AREA: 9.93"

Futures MB2
    FRONT:
    HEIGHT: 4.65"
    BASE: 4.50"
    AREA: 15.45"

REAR FINS:
    HEIGHT: 4.22"
    BASE: 4.21"
    AREA: 12.75"

based on my experience:

controllers - fast, retro and fun. Glidey and efficient. Mellow style.
    AM2s - truthfully i think these will be sticky and feel stiff. Not sure they will offer much. if not, try pairing with smaller trailing fins.
    Rusty/MB - probably a bit more free than AM2 due to the slightly more upright shape.

let us know after you have a go.

Comment

i never liked the controllers... i liked the stretch sf4's

Comment

Anyone try a twin fin setup or a knubster in the back?

Comment

I have the MB2 set in my baked potato and it's a fantastic set up for me. I drive hard off my back foot in all waves and on all boards when turning and these fins give me what I need. Having said that, if I'm feeling a little more mellow it allows me to hotdog the wave nicely and just cruise around on the face too. I'm yet to try the controllers, but I"m keen to give them a shot.

Comment

I've been surfing the Futures Rasta Quads recently, and have been VERY happy with them...

Comment

I just picked up a baked today with controllers ( 6.3 and 225-230lb ). People seemed to be really happy with them overall so looking forward to giving them a go!

Comment

Fins seems to be very individual judging only by the forum - tell us how they'll go. Didn't love them in my VD, but could have been the waves, the day, the rider etc. Only kinda objective minus of the controllers is that they are fibreglass and quite stiff - on the other hand they won't loose chips constantly like some honeycomb models...:) give us a ride report

Comment

Used the controllers twice so far on my baked and they are super skatey. I think as I get more tuned into the board they will grow on me but I'm looking for something a bit stiffer for the moment to give me the confidence in my turns. Thinking AM2 or MB2 as I've heard good things on both.

Comment

Controllers have a lot of forward drive, but I am with you aaronj that they felt kinda skatey... I think your skipping is not a poor fin stiffness issue at all (I find the controller really stiff honestly), but of a lack of depth and tip area. I don't have a bp so cannot give you any specific fin advice, but I don't think am2 tech flex are good for the no. I'd rather take mb2s or am2 in honeycomb or a shapers s6, s7 or even s9, all are softer and I think it'll be better to have a medium stiff fin atm in a groveller like the BP.

Comment

I've got the future AM2s in my 6'1 TT BP, they are def the go with that wide wide tail! I usually ride with medium fins (i'm 70kg), but these large fins aren't stiff at all. Looking at getting a 5'11 BP soon and i will put the AM2s in for sure...just waiting on new stock and an answer on the leash plug position! Anyone got a new 2016 BP yet??

Comment

MB2's look good and I know Justo swears by them and being the same height and around the same weight as me they seem like a good more. So, MB2 or AM2 in honeycomb then? Or outside, Pancho / Jordy with controller rears?! Decisions!

Comment

Used jordy fronts and 375's in the rear for clean 1ft surf yesterday and was no good for me. Wish I had put a full set of controllers back in! Next session is jordy fronts with controller rears if it's above waist high but if it's smaller I'm going back to the controllers I think!

Comment

I ended up getting a set of Rasta Quads for my BP, and the board really loves them!

Comment

Originally posted by TallMartin View Post
                              I've been surfing the Futures Rasta Quads recently, and have been VERY happy with them...
                              Agreed. I thought controllers were terrible with the BP. Worked fine with the potatonator. Rastas all the way with the BP

Comment

Working...
                              X