Vanguard vs HPSB comparison photos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard vs HPSB comparison photos

Although most have probably got to check out a Vanguard in the flesh now I thought this might be helpful for some folks to see a direct comparison between a 5'6 x 18.5" x 2.38" - 28.8l Vanguard and a 6'0" x 18.81" x 2.38" 28.0l CBD Taj.

The photo quality isn't the best and there isn't every angle covered but I think it shows the area, thickness, rockers and foam distribution of the two boards fairly well.

6" less length but with the area in the nose and tail and the straighter effective rail line you wouldn't know it. Despite the small dims it doesn't look or feel like a tiny board.
    At least my deck denting is consistent!

Lower tail rocker and a lot more foam held through there. Combined with the width you've got to be very back footed with this board.

Trying to show the concave here. The VG has a LOT more concave than even the Taj, despite having less rocker.

A couple more in the next post.

IMG_0198.jpg
    This shows the rockers and rail volumes pretty well. The VG has a comparable amount of rocker as the centre of the Taj. It just doesn't have the extra flip in the tip of the nose (because there isn't one) and tail.
    You can see in this shot that the rails are a lot fuller than the Taj with the deck shape being closer to Spitfire than a domed HPSB. That said, the tuck on the rails is pretty much squared off in the tail area and stays hard up to around the Tomo logo and even up to the nose it doesn't go into a softer curve like the hybrids.

Sorry this had to extend into 2 posts, it wouldn't allow any more images in the first.

Comment

whaddya doin' phill...i'm still waiting on my 5'6 and ya post this..!!... YOU MONGREL..!!.. great post though..

WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD, WHERE'S MY VANGUARD

Comment

Will be interested to hear your take on it, Dave. Fingers crossed you get it before things cool down too much there!

Comment

well done. i thought of mine as a 6'6 w/o a nose and a fat tail. when i saw Jamie O'brien ride that bomb at the Volcom Pro w the nose of his board broken off, i told my Uncle,"that's a round pin Tomo"

Comment

• Slowman
            Slowman commented
            Editing a comment
            yeah mine feels like that

That's great to see the comparison between the Hpsb and VG. You can see how you would ride the VG much smaller with the parallel rail outline. I see that Dtl have sold a bunch of them. Have you seen many in the water down your way?
          I am still holding out for a Demo from Granett Reef but I have a feeling it won't be any time soon.

Comment

thanks for the images PRJ.

That deep concave that you mention really helps add "control" to an otherwise flat shape. It elevates the performance while simulating, to some degree, rocker. Its a major contributor to the control you see Stuey and Daniel exhibit in full rail carves on good, steep waves.

Part of the magic for sure!!

Comment

Haven't seen anyone yet on one pmorgan but have heard of the odd sighting.
              It sure is an interesting board to ride. Very fast and fun. I'm looking forward to the day it clicks and I can surf it without having to over think everything and always wondering how the board is going to react... although that is part of the fun.

Comment

yeah. seriously i have found you have to ride it like a HP shortboard with a lot of rocker. back footed!!!

Comment

I've kind of been riding it like the Sweet Potato haha

Comment

in knee high surf? ha

Comment

Haha nah but same sort of techniques and frame of mind, but knowing that it can draw a longer line and hold in a steeper section.
                      The Potato is the only other super back footed board I've really had so I had to channel that!

Comment

absolutley.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this is me exciting the water on Sunday morning. Looks like a VG to me and there weren't any others around!

Comment

is there a pic??

Comment

Working...
                            X