5'1 or 5'2 for daily driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'1 or 5'2 for daily driver

I've been surfing a 5'2 Evo which is too big for my 5'7 / 148lb / 67kg + 3.2 wetty.

Feels like the 5'1 VD might be too much of a drop but 5'2 is only 1.6L drop.

Very tempted to try the smaller size but as a DD it might not be enough for our washy breaks. We get powerful surf but lots of water movement.

Anyone care to comment? If I was to get another Evo it would probably be 5'0 but it's a different board to the Vader.

I'm 32 average ability but have surfed my entire life.
    Last edited by Ben_E; 03-28-2016, 07:10 PM.

If you have trouble posting please feel free to PM me, any feedback appreciated.

Comment

What waves would you want to use the vader in - as opposed to your Evo ? I like my VD but it's not your best friend in shifty beach breaks on bigger days as -imho - it is harder to duckdive and not a better paddler than any standard short board in these conditions. On clean breaks and waves it paddles great (!) and gets in early in any wave. Size wise I'd see you on 5'1 or 5'2 being an INT - or smaller if you're better :))

Comment

Originally posted by apache View Post
        What waves would you want to use the vader in - as opposed to your Evo ? I like my VD but it's not your best friend in shifty beach breaks on bigger days as -imho - it is harder to duckdive and not a better paddler than any standard short board in these conditions. On clean breaks and waves it paddles great (!) and gets in early in any wave. Size wise I'd see you on 5'1 or 5'2 being an INT - or smaller if you're better :))

Totally agree... Long paddles in current with bumps around is not very fun on a VD, especially an undersized one - which I have! It feels like you're paddling with seaweed in your leash (which I literally did yesterday when riding my Evo and it's not fun). Apache has his at a good volume for his weight. My personal opinion on these boards is to go with your normal volume range for good waves but the bottom end of it if you're intermediate, and to do the same but then drop down one size if you're int/adv. I'm 80kg and I have a 5'5 VD at 28.8 and it's hard work to paddle around but I can get waves on it fine. Super sensitive and fast. Will probably ride it tomorrow if we get some clean waves with size!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am going to move the Evo on, and this Vader will be my all-rounder. I don't grovel much but we don't always get perfect conditions - bit of wind, current is normal.

BD that's a guild factor of 0.36 which puts me on a 5'2. I'm actually leaving towards the 5'1 though. My usual volume is 24-25ish.

Comment

To be honest I don't know if guild factor really works with these designs because that system is built off of conventional shapes. My board goes up to my mouth and that seems to be within the range that Tomo recommends. Chin to nose height - chin if you're good nose if you're shit! haha

Comment

Off to the shop today to take a look, I've got my Evo with me to compare. I just wonder if a 1.6L reduction will be enough and whether a 3L reduction will be too much!

I've tried several times to post updates to my other thread in the Evo sub-forum but just can't get it to work.

Comment

Got the 5'1. Feels small! Pretty paddle fit at the moment, but I have my doubts!

Comment

Originally posted by BallsDeep View Post
                  To be honest I don't know if guild factor really works with these designs because that system is built off of conventional shapes. My board goes up to my mouth and that seems to be within the range that Tomo recommends. Chin to nose height - chin if you're good nose if you're shit! haha
                  I went with mouth level on my first one (5'6" @ 30.5 L) and then sold it after 9 months to move up to a 5'8" (33.9 L) which is just above my nose so I must surf worse than shit ;) I used FW Forum GF averages as well as the chin to nose height recommendation quoted above, and some input from my local shop ET Surf to make my initial selection. The 5'6" was too small, a pain to paddle, and required clean, juicy and shapely corners. I had my moments on the 5'6", the best was at Rincon when I took off at the indicator, made it through the river mouth section, and sailed through 2nd point. It was an epic day with 4 - 6 foot faces. I also had many frustrating days where I would bog the rail or put too much weight on my front foot, stall the board and crash and burn. After working a lot this winter, not surfing as much, and gaining a few pounds I found the 5'6" wasn't enough board for the waves I regularly surf, my age, weight, and skill level. The 5'8" is a huge improvement, I had great sessions this past weekend in San Diego. It's much easier to paddle comparatively, and it seems to paddle better than my 5'7" Evo at same volume (33.9 L). It flies out of the gate and is very maneuverable. I'm much happier with this size.

Ben_E good luck on the 5'1". It seems small, but I hope it works out for you.

I'm 42 yo, 192lbs/87 kg, 6'0" tall, surfing for 30+ years, and surf southern California.

Comment

Thanks for the perspective DC

Paddling is fine. Duck dive is great and a vast improvement on my Evo (to be sold) which is 3L more. Catches waves easily. Fast board, need more time on it for a better assessment.

I have been monitoring other peoples GF on Tomos. Pros are riding 32-33; most regular shortboarders riding 34-35; and others against the "go small" brigade 36+
                    Last edited by Ben_E; 04-08-2016, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Now I know why people say go small on these boards. Picture heading to hit the lip vertically and effortlessly rotating the board 180 degrees. Never got this on my bigger Evo.

Paddling into waves is close to my Evo so there doesn't seem to be a big advantage on going bigger with these shapes. Paddling is fine now I'm used to the smaller volume and duck diving is a breeze!

Just got back from a surf in knee to chest, onshore slop, but still with power off a sucky reef. The board grovels as good as any HP-ish shape and I'm not sure about the fuss for clean conditions.

The big question I'm facing right now is what boards for a Tomo quiver?

Comment

Oh well. That's that then. Didn't last long. Back to the local shaper for a board that's more suited to local conditions. I did really like the board though.
                        Attached Files

Comment

😞 that's a bummer.
                          Just in case you're not over the shape - there is a 5'1 in FST kite version (they go up to 5'5 ....)....

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_E View Post
                            Now I know why people say go small on these boards. Picture heading to hit the lip vertically and effortlessly rotating the board 180 degrees. Never got this on my bigger Evo.

Paddling into waves is close to my Evo so there doesn't seem to be a big advantage on going bigger with these shapes. Paddling is fine now I'm used to the smaller volume and duck diving is a breeze!

Just got back from a surf in knee to chest, onshore slop, but still with power off a sucky reef. The board grovels as good as any HP-ish shape and I'm not sure about the fuss for clean conditions.

The big question I'm facing right now is what boards for a Tomo quiver?
                            Hey Ben...
                            I'm 148 lbs and 5'6". I usually ride a 5'2" Vader and it worked so well in any condition. But there were times when it felt like I could go a little smaller with the board. Before it broke, how well did the 5'1" go?? Was any part challenging or overall was it a good size? Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

Comment

Working...
                            X