Good V4 replacement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good V4 replacement?

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good V4 replacement?

I originally kept it as a board for bigger days and stuck with a Nano or Evo for the other 80 - 90% ...
    But since selling my Nano and having the Evo in for repairs, I've been using my V4 nearly everyday for the past couple weeks, in pretty much any conditions, and I've gotten so used to it - I absolutely LOVE the board. It's an old rapidfire model, and the thought of losing it to a crease etc really bothers me ;)

I've been looking for another one as a backup for months (in 5'8 or 5'10), but I'm not having any luck since they're not made anymore :(

Out of the new FW range (or at least the currently available models), what do you think is the closest to a V4?

Anyone know if FW are planning on releasing the V5 outside of Japan? and how it compares?
    Last edited by iFX.64; 02-08-2017, 05:19 AM.

Originally posted by iFX.64 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good V4 replacement?

I originally kept it as a board for bigger days and stuck with a Nano or Evo for the other 80 - 90% ...
    But since selling my Nano and having the Evo in for replairs, I've been using my V4 nearly everyday for the past couple weeks, in pretty much any conditions, and I've gotten so used to it - I absolutely LOVE the board. It's an old rapidfire model, and the thought of losing it to a crease etc really bothers me ;)

I've been looking for another one as a backup for months (in 5'8 or 5'10), but I'm not having any luck since they're not made anymore :(

Out of the new FW range (or at least the currently available models), what do you think is the closest to a V4?

Anyone know if FW are planning on releasing the V5 outside of Japan? and how it compares?
    You will be able to special order them, as I just recently did here in South Africa and expect it end of November 2016.

Comment

....or december....2-4 month custom order time right now....

Comment

A few weeks back Tomo posted a picture of V5 Japan edition on Instagram. To that post, user boar...n commented "Need one of these" and Tomo himself responded to that specific comment with this comment: "This is B roll ... I have something far sicker in the works"

So it leaves us speculating about exactly what and when, but it does sound like V5 specifically is not planned for release outside Japan.

That's about the closest thing I've seen from Tomo himself about what might be a follow-on to the V4. Perhaps he is talking about hydronaut?

Comment

Also been trying to track one down, hopefully Tomo was talking about the Thunderbird. V4 shape and Evo bottom just hope it is in FST from the off. My Evo looks pretty beat up compared to FST boards I've had. Peach of a board though, just a shame it bruises like one!

Comment

Since posting this, I've actually managed to find an almost mint condition 5'8 V4 in FST for $350 :)

Turned out, the guy I originally bought the 5'8 V4 in RF from, also had this FST one in storage... waiting in the hope he might one day get fit enough to be able to ride it again (his words) ... I guess he decided that wasn't going to happen anymore ... or maybe he finally found a board he liked better. He was also after a 5'10 V4.

But, after having taken out the 5'8 V4 again... it somehow hasn't been feeling as good as it used to, although that could still have been from the fact that I was taking it out in the wrong conditions (since I was so impatient), or even wrong fins...

However, I've also been borrowing someone else's 5'10 V4 ... and while I'm still waiting for some decent swell to test it out properly, the couple times I had it in semi-decent smallish conditions - it felt absolutely awesome! It felt like THE perfect board for me... perfect size... I don't know whether it was really the extra volume or not, or whether it was just those extra 2 inches that made all the difference?? I still need to do more testing and compare both boards properly to be sure, as I was also using a different fin setup on the 5'10 than what I was using on the 5'8.

Plus I need to see how those extra 3L affect this in a decent sized swell with some power behind it - since the 5'6 VG I used to have, at the same volume, didn't go so well for me as it did in smaller conditions. But then the V4s narrower tail and spread out volume into the nose etc, may change that. After all, my 5'8 V4 feels like a much smaller board compared to my 5'4 VG, even though the volume is almost identical. Funnily enough, the 5'4 VG (25.9L) paddles about the same as the 5'10 V4 (28.8L) - the 5'8 V4 (25.8L) paddles like a bitch ;)

Kind of hard to explain, but the 5'10 V4 just felt like an extension of my body, and it would just do whatever I wanted without feeling wrong in any way... unlike the 5'8 which just didn't quite feel as comfortable and sometimes felt a little weird and out of my control.

Since the guy I'm borrowing the 5'10 off confirmed the other week that he does NOT want to sell it at this stage - I'm hoping if I use the same fins in the 5'8 as I did on the 5'10 that I get better results out of the 5'8 ... just need some swell ... been nothing for weeks :(
            Last edited by iFX.64; 02-08-2017, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Hey IFX.64, The 2nd hand 5'10 V4 FST is still for sale at zak surfboards if you are chasing one. They pack there boards really really well when shipped way better than my nano I received on Friday from a shop in NSW but lucky no damage. Me and my mate surfed Dbah today it was better then I thought wasn't amazing but fun caught heaps of waves funnily. Surfed my Evo with the New Large Julian Wilson fins really liked them.

Comment

Yeah I've been keeping my eye on that board ;)
                just not sure about spending that much on a 2nd-hand board unless I'm 100% sure it's going to be that much better than my 5'8 when I know I'd have trouble getting my money back if I had to sell it on Gumtree ;) specially as I just bought a Cornice that my wife doesn't know about as well ;)

But I'm hoping we get some decent waves this coming week so I can finally compare the 5'8 and 5'10... (maybe Wednesday/Friday are looking interesting based on the current forecast).

If the 5'10 definitely works much better for me than the 5'8, then I'll check if zak still has it... and sell my 5'8 ... but I'm still not 100% sure since we've had such average and tiny conditions since I got hold of these boards.

Comment

Just thought I'd update the final verdict for me and the 5'8 vs 5'10 V4...

Basically, while I love the V4 shape, neither size is right for me... although the 5'8 is the closest, so I'm keeping that one for now, but really needs clean/easy-to-paddle conditions... otherwise I have other boards I'd rather take out (Pyzel Flash, Lib Tech Bowl, Vanguard or Nano)...

But if there was a V4 that was 5'10 (to maybe 5'11) with 26L volume or 27L max... then it'd be my perfect board and possibly the only one I'd need ;)

Tezza's so hooked on his Cornice that he was no longer interested in taking back the V4, so I sold the 5'10 for him on Gumtree for the same $$ ;)
                  Only took one day!

And would you believe, the guy that ended up buying it, actually knows Tomo's dad! He had some interesting stories... I had so many questions I was making it difficult for him to leave ;)

Apparently Dan is back at Lennox at the moment...

Comment

Working...
                  X