V4 or Unibrow; I have Dom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V4 or Unibrow; I have Dom

Thanks for taking the time guys. Ive been riding a 6'6" dominator for over a year now in heavy winter Santa Barbara surf and summer Ventura southies. So far I have been very happy with it. I'm 5'11" and 205 pounds. I'm looking for a serious step up board for the winter season that is fast approaching and I'm looking at a unibrow or V4 for overhead to double overhead waves. Probably will have lost another 15 pounds by then with the frequency I am in the water now. (Daily)

My only issue with the dominator is that I feel it's actually too big a board for my size and skill level (intermediate+) It is definitely not as snappy as I wish it would be and getting on rail feels like I'm turning a dumpy diaper at times. Ass end slides out on me sometimes as well. Currently have a Futures Vector II thruster set up that came with it.

Definitely appreciate the speed and paddle power; but I can literally put down three hour sessions with 15+ waves and be fine the next day. I'm looking to be a tad more wrecked after. Pain don't hurt.

I've been browsing through these forums and so far I've seen a lot of similar threads comparing the Ubrow and V4 but nothing about too big a dominator within the mix.

So my question is this: Should I just get a shorter Dominator 6'-6'2"? a 6'2" Unibrow? or 6'2" V4? For firewire boards, I definitely feel that 6'6" is way long for me.

I'm demoing boards tomorrow in Huntington Beach, so I'm LITERALLY open for anything.

Yeah your Dom is def too big for you. Uni is just a better, more refined Dom, not ideal for big waves, but a great everyday board. V4 ideal for the big stuff, prefers clean faces though. Uni and V4 would make a good quiver, they don't overlap too much. For your weight and ability prob a 6'2 Uni + V4 would do the ticket.

Comment

The demo crew today didnt have a V4 or a Uni, so I had a blast on a 5'9" Evo. Perfect for the shore breaky 2-3ft conditions. So many decisions to make. That was a fun little session.

Comment

Hi red, I am in a similar weight range (90 kg - at 6'4), int+, I was on 39-43 L until last summer and had similar experiences (tail slides, feeling slow on turns) on a Dom-like board. With some feedback from the forum I went down to 33-35 L ending up on a VD and a # (5'8/6'2). It bit more work to paddle, but you are saving on the duckdives and performance potential is way higher. I think powman is spot on with the volume for those 2 boards. The v4 is/was on my list for a step up, too at that size. If you dare, you may add a # to the menu, mine is amazing over 2', though in 4/3 neo and beyond 200 pounds and for bigger waves you may consider a 6'4 instead of the 6'2. Good luck !

Comment

There is a 6'0" V4 FST I found on craigslist for $500. I wonder if that volume is too low though.

Comment

Though i went down a lot in volume without too much issues and though I have briefly considered the idea of maybe going even lower towards 32ish L for high performance on a HP shape (like the VD, the slab, the JS Monsta ...) the 6'0 V4 is a small toy. 😶 From my VD and VG I know that Tomo shapes do work if under volumed, and Deon from this forum appears to ride the V4 at a ridiculously low volume and it flies but this will definitely throw your in a really HP world or limit you to really good waves in my very limited personal opinion - maybe some of the v4 experts can chime in on that one ???

Comment

Ya, I'm leaning towards bad idea. I think I'd be stuck with a board I'd never use. I'm looking at maybe an Evo and a V4 for a two board quiver. So I should probably get them perfect.

Comment

Im 200 pound and have the 6'0"V4 in FST. Have always found it to paddle fine, although I have never really gotten on that well with riding it. Had always felt it didn't pick up waves as well as I felt it should have. Just got back from Indonesia having ridden it in almost DOH and 18 sec interval swell and found that with the extra swell energy it paddled in fine every time. Had an absolute blast on it in the waves it was designed to go well in. Having second thoughts about selling it now, but I kind of need to.
                Last edited by Sarge; 10-04-2015, 04:07 AM.

Comment

The V4 works very well in 1.5 to 3x OH clean waves.

Comment

FST or LFT? everything I read says LFT will snap in hollow conditions. But maybe they are just incredibly unlucky.

Comment

• justo
                      justo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've not ridden a V4, but am familiar with the different techs available.

The LFT will ride better. Ultra light, super responsive, and a great feel for the wave. FST has a more organic feel, slightly slower to react, a little heavier that LFT but a LOT stronger.

For my small wave boards, I generally go for RF or LFT build, but for medium to large I only look at FST. LFT/RF/WRF has about the same strength in the bottom and rails of a conventional glass board, though the deck is much stronger. FST is easily double the strength of a regular board. The beltings mine have taken without even a compression ding are amazing.

V4 , Dom and Evo conversation? Those 3 i can cover but not the uni. V4 and Evo cover everything the Dom does and more. Except possibly the extreme bottom end, under knee high, but its not made for that, unless you had a smaller one, and then you would struggle to catch them.
                    You could ride a 6'6 V4 and it wouldnt feel anything like a 6'6 Dom, where as a 6'6 Uni probably would, but with a lot more snap and performance.
                    I am very impressed with my LFT Evo, so much so that i just ordered an LFT spitfire, i like the flex and lightness of LFT and have found it much stronger in compression strength than PU boards.
                    Cant go wrong with the V4 Evo combo. My Dom is going for trade on the spitfire, which im buying cos i havent ridden one yet. FW addiction, nah, not me!

Comment

It's board hoarding 😉 Know that feeling - from a friend LoL - eying a pyzel step up, some other pyzel or JS shapes and a Spitfire or short round for the bottom end And waiting for new Tomo shapes (V4/evo breed......)... Boards are magic 😇

Comment

Board whore? i think that sums it up, new Tomos are coming no doubt, seems to be more standard nose models like the Death Star on the way, already on the Japan site.
                        Love to ride a RNF as well. Hopefully Cuttlefish has found time to give his a good thrashing and will add some more insight.

Comment

Tomo is going to shape wings on the next board for added "lift" cuz it will seriously fly

Comment

Working...
                          X