Thinking of getting a V4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting a V4?

Anyone contemplating a V4 to give them a bit more of confidence in bigger waves, i just had one of those surfs on my 6'6' where everything about the board makes sense, It paddles into waves beautifully, and if you angle sideways into the wave it handles the steep drop with ease. It will also go straight down the face to lay into a hand in the water bottom turn, if its a shorter peak. But its real beauty is taking off deep and staying high to gain warp speed and then experimenting on how critical you want to turn the board high on the face. There is no where on the wave that the V4 isnt comfortable with. I foam climbed a 6ft section that had come down in front of me and it just rides up and over it no trouble, complete control. rode it with size 7 fins and i loved it, although i said that about my Dom and PN, and they are now gone! But i had genuine concerns buying this board because there was not much positive feed back on the forum, thanks to the guys who steered me this way when i was seeking my Indo board, so stoked, it going to go sick over there! eh Megsy? Next batch of Evos just hit QLD, mine is among them!

I wholeheartedly agree Keith - I bought one in April 2014 for a Ments trip as a step-up. I won't part with it... I have a 6'6 same as you and a 6'4 #tag for general use. I love both of these boards and can't imagine wanting anything else. I hadn't ridden the V4 since September last year but took it to surf Jakes point in Kalbarri for a week in May. I used it every day - it's my choice when the waves are serious but as you describe, it isn't a tank, it's lively and rips!

Comment

Gday piggo, i did read about your V4 on the forum and that gave me some confidence. It would be perfect for Jakes, but i just rode mine in average waves down here in Mandurah. They looked like potato type waves , ugly onshore, weak, maybe just head high. I walked past a few of the old boys who wouldnt bother going out, carrying what looked like completely the wrong board for the conditions. But at the moment its my only board apart from my MR fish, which has gone into mothballs. It still went fantastic, and when i caught a bigger clean double up the board just went insane, 125 metres at 26km hr according to the watch. It was a one off freak wave but the board did its thing, with a little help from me, and it ended up being my best wave in months. That would not have happened on my MR tuflite.

Comment

• piggo
        piggo commented
        Editing a comment
        Woohoo! Maybe that wave will be one of those you remember decades later... lol, the V4 didn't let me have it all my own way at Jakes - couldn't compete with the locals and didn't want to on the big day! On the day after the big day - still a few 6ft sets coming through, I was third in line for a big one and a local dude on the inside says "go mate - could be the best wave of your life". I looked at the guy next in line (my son) and he shook his head - I thought it looked makeable even for me and went after it hard. I really am getting old - both the V4 and I got horribly, horribly smoked - I think I was very close to hitting the bottom and then got dragged along the point right next to all the barnies. When I finally got clear I saw my young bloke in exactly the same spot - he got done on the one behind it lol...

• keith
        keith commented
        Editing a comment
        I can imagine what went down, you go over with the wave and just expect to bounce off the botttom, it is hard to relax and go with it when you know you are heading to the barnacles and urchins. And when the local dude says yours, if you dont take it you wont get another one. It is one of those waves where theres a fine line between pleasure and pain. Good on you for having a go.

I have had mine since last August when I got it as a semi step-up to take to Bali. And to be honest it has never really set the surf alight for me. Today was a day I should have used a different board- it was 2-3 foot. But the V4 went pretty good: fast, free, although lacking a little drive. But I could have used bigger fins. Anyway, as I got out a fair bit happier with the board, I realised that I had previously only ever ridden the board while I was injured. (Nerve damage in chest and loss of control and strengths in my left arm as a result) so it looks like the V4 will get another few chances to shine in the overhead stuff. Hope it goes as well for me as yours does for you guys. On a side note, my 5'6" VG has been a great surf option as it continued to catch waves with ease. As long as there wasn't a big sweep and I could get to the right spot in the line up.

Comment

Hey Sarge how does the V4 compare to the mini driver?

Comment

• Sarge
          Sarge commented
          Editing a comment
          Well I loved that mini driver. Super reliable. The V4 has been not as good so far, (as I said below it is me that has been the cause of this) but will see once I am back in shape and surfing regularly.

I surfed mine again today in 8-10ft face waves, and again it went well on my backhand this time, mine is a big board, 6'6 with a lot of foam in the tail, the foam distribution is a lot different to the Vanguard, and i think it is a bit more sensitive to foot placement, whereas the Vanguard seems to give you more lee way with where your feet are. I would imagine that comparing a smaller V4 to a smaller Vanguard would not be favorable to the V4, as it does not have the same speed or sensitivity, but makes up for that with better paddle power and i prefer having the nose to time lip hits, and i find it a bit like a non Tomo board but with enough speed and performance to lift it above your average shortboard.

Comment

I bought my 6'6" after reading your ride reports keith, just waiting for some quality surf now. what are u finding the optimum foot placment to be after spending more time with the board.

Comment

Gday, Hye, i am going in to order a 6'2 vader tomorrow, thanks to yours and Curleyblokes recommendation. The big volume vader will sit above my V4 in wave size although its 4 inches shorter, i just feel a lot more comfortable riding a bigger volume board in bigger waves. The V4 has a great wave range for me, but at 2x overhead i would feel better with more paddle power. The V4 is going to go insane in the Telos this August. It likes being ridden from the back half, where all the thickness is. My local waves are generally full faced waves and i have based my surfing off my front foot, to gain speed, thats ok for wide nosed boards like Doms and PNs, but resist the temptation to surf the V4 like that, it slows it down. In fact the tail is so thick it is surprising how you much you can put weight on the back of the board and still maintain speed. That is why it has so much control floating up and over whitewater, try it next time you are flying along and the wave shuts down, you can do a reo off the foam.

Comment

I'm going top to bottom in the pocket now on what used to be close out beach breaks for me. Its insane for really really late take offs. I've got it set up with medium reactors and two Darc drives in the quad boxes. Super super drive. Love it.

Comment

• bageldog
                bageldog commented
                Editing a comment
                do you have all 3 thruster fins in plus the 2 darc drive, or just the 2 front fins?

• Peterleo
                Peterleo commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there. Yes all three fins. Plus the two darc drives. Enjoy.

I agree Peterleo, i surfed mine on a left reef slab and made takeoffs that surprised me, but after riding hybrid boards i guess thats what these sort of boards do.

Comment

• Peterleo
                Peterleo commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes mate that's great to hear. Just need some surf now and to get rid of the flu. I'm also having an absolute ball on a Submoon on super low tide small waves. Point's and beachies. Down the line fun machine.

Hey Keith,

I've just seen yours up for sale on Gumtree. I've been umming and ahhing about a new board and possibly a Tomo for a while. Pity yours is FCS2 and not Futures. I have a full Stable of Futures Fins at home and no FCS.

But I think like you've noted on here, it's probably not the most ideal for Perth and Surrounds as we don't get the heavy swells all that often.

Where do you find the board lacks? Where do you think it excels?

Still contemplating....

Comment

G'Day Justo, i love it, but at 55 im struggling to get the best out of it. 42lts is a bit too light on for me, i can do it but for bigger serious waves i need 44-48 lts, Luckily it handles late steep takeoffs beautifully. I rode it at big Leftys, well overhead, low tide and i caught 3 absolute bombs on it, off the bubble then jacking into a big barrel. I was going so fast and aiming for the channel but managed to jam a few turns in along the way. If that was my local, or Jakes, i would ride it every time. But my usual big wave surfs are in Mandurah where its full and shifty. And like i said when its around HH and hollow, the Evo excels. As would a Vader for you. I love having the nose on the V4. I am getting used to the evo but after surfing for 40 years on boards with noses having that reference point to time lip hits is reassuring. So that would be your biggest hurdle, i reckon, with a noseless Tomo. You can adjust, as everyone does, but the V4 makes it easier to surf serious waves, for me. The Evo is not so unlike a short BP, in smaller waves, with its rounded nose. What ever you do Justo, just bite the bullet and get a Tomo, it will be the best thing you have ever done for your surfing.

i

Comment

• Slowman
                  Slowman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  just out of interest Keith how much do you weigh?

Im 95 kg, which is not a huge weight if you are 30-45. But at 55 strength diminishes, aches and joints are an issue, most guys have worn shoulders from years of paddling and others like me who played footy and cricket have worn out knees and hips. Apart from that i feel great! 8 years ago i had a hip replacement, but that has been fantastic, went from unable to stand up to back in the game. I was even contemplating learning to surf regular foot to take the pressure off my right (goofy) hip.
                Rode the big Spit today just to go for a paddle and i think its going to be a winner, paddles great, as it should at 48.7lts, but on the small waves i rode it on it felt lively and not boaty at all. cant wait to get it on some overhead waves. My thinking was that it is a bit like a narrower Potato board, with finer rails, and i think i am going to like it more than the 2 Doms ive had.
                I would have ridden the Evo usually.

Comment

Working...
                X