FINS for V4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINS for V4

I picked up a used 6'2 V4 for the great South swells we've been getting in Southern California. On my 5'10 VG I have been using Medium size fins so the board doesn't get to stiff. I tried Medium
    FCSII Performers on the V4 and it felt slow without much drive... Should I be using Large Fins on the V4.? I weigh 175 pounds

I found same thing with medium fins, board seemed kinda dead. better with large in my opinion. I'm 6'5 185, also have 6'2 V4. I haven't really figured the board or fins out yet, but I did find it better with bigger fins

Comment

• Peterleo
      Peterleo commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm finding big front fins and small rear quad fins work well and paddle easier. Found reactor tri fins go great normally. But backhand waves performers. Catches waves easier than my VG. I find I get amazing waves but crash on so many beach closeouts. Still experimenting. But I'm not afraid of any wave on this board. Got a mind blowing left yesterday with xl performer fronts and small rears.

The board will die quickly, i have found, unless being in the power source of the wave. If you have built up speed you will have plenty left over for a cutback. It has a lot of nose rocker, one day i will measure the Tomo rockers, VG, Nano ,V4, Evo and post them on here, of course they will only be one size of each apart from 2 Vanguards, 5'8/5'11.
    One of my 1st surfs on my 6'6 V4 i remember racing a powerful overhead wall and proning out as it shutdown and as i headed to the beach standing just ahead of the whitewater, it was like i hit a patch of seaweed the board stopped so quickly, i almost went over the front. But, it is all relative, because the speed at times is mind blowing. And that has been with medium FW bamboo fins, Have not tried it with large size as the board has a lot of hold with its edges and channels. And it has not lacked drive with the medium fins. Have a look at the side on views of the Tomo boards.

Comment

The rails and the channels give the V4 a lot of hold but bigger fins I don't find stiffen things up. I ride the Rusty R2 quads with a Darc Drive 5th fin and it is a loose rocket that surfs tight and has enough hold to do just about anything you want in the most critical parts of the wave.

Going for bigger fins doesn't have to mean added stiffness. You can go for a bigger fin to get more drive but still have plenty of looseness, if by that you mean a very tight turning arc, it's a question of rake and fin tip area. Going for a more upright fin will keep things loose. Fin tip shape and flex pattern will effect release and hold as well.

Comment

I have a set of UL 7's to try out in the V4 so it will be an interesting comparison, the board goes best in head high plus waves so at that size the board should still turn well. Just need the waves to come to the party now.

Comment

My v4 goes a lot better with Fcs ii Reactors. Found performers give too much lift. Crazy fast in ledges. Also have one with Futures boxes. Have tried Rastas quads. Both r good

Comment

I think the larger fins work better in the V4, you go so fast anyway due to the plan shape that you dont need smaller fins for looseness. I am just about to buy a set of FCS carvers large to try. Not convinced on the C Drive fins reviews.

Comment

What do you guys prefer tri or quads on the V4?

Comment

• Sarge
                Sarge commented
                Editing a comment
                So far preferring three fins. More the conditions board has been ridden in - steeper, so I wanted the pivot off the bottom. Preferred fin is the AM2 Tech flex. My "usual" preferred fin in just about every other board is the Kinetic JP5 Carbo tune or Hayden Shapes (HS) large.

Sarge thanks for the input. I have the AM2 5 fin in tech flex and SA 5 fin. Will test those next. Running MB2 5 fin in quad right now. Probably will try all three in quad first, then switch to thruster and see what feels best to me. Just got the V4 a couple of days ago and am still trying to get used to it. Its been a little squirrely on the take off for me. but I am getting it figured out. It is very sensitive and almost feels like there is too much lift on the take off then the speed kicks in as you get your feet set. Its like board is trying to run away from me initially. Once I'm up and riding it is amazing, gains speed so quicky while being so maneuverable. Loving it, just need to get used the new sensation of a Tomo and get it dialed in. The V4 will definitely progress my surfing,

Comment

Good to hear you are enjoying the board, for me i like reading about other surfers experiences with the boards i ride. I agree with the takeoff speed of the Tomos. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you have it dialled, and your feet are in the right spot the waveriding experience opens up possibilities to really improve your surfing. It is almost like learning to surf again with an exciting future of new possibilities on the waves. I have come closer to getting air on the VG and Evo with out even trying, and in 45 years i have never done one. But who knows? it might happen.
                The V4 has a fast and sensitive feel and will take you places on the wave that will surprise you. I dont like quads so its always 3 for me, big ones.

Comment

Working...
                X