Cornice fins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornice fins

Been trying to find a demo Cornice since they came out with no luck but out of pure luck came across someone trying to clear his last one to make room for the new Machado and Slater deliveries next month. - The price was ridiculous
    The issue is I am a Futures fan and this one is FCS II so my question is which fins should I use in a wide tailed board like the Cornice?

the shop guy says he is riding his 5'1" with JJF medium and the bigger guys are loving them as quads

any tips?
    Last edited by Goanna2; 03-22-2016, 04:38 AM.

I thought it may be a battle to get any feedback with this board so I succesfully contacted Dan Mann himself. That guy is only too happy to help out!
    He says to run the Simon Anderson Quad for a larger bloke.

Comment

Let us know how she goes!

Comment

Well I've had the Cornice for a few weeks now and you guessed it - no waves! there has been a few but either work or family time hasn't allowed me to take advantage.

1st surf 3ft clean long rides but weak ridden with a large quad set / 2nd surf 2ft onshore low tide slop ridden with a large thruster set.
        it's not really meant for these waves so struggling to get it dialled at the moment but so far I can tell you this much...

-Fast, just fast
        -FST so good to be back on this tech! It just feels bulletproof.
        -Wave count - I have an unhealthy love for my Tomo Vader but when you only get to surf every couple of weeks I need to catch more waves. The Cornice chases down and catches waves from a wide radius. It's nice to get a heap of waves again.
        - Goes from bottom turn to lip in an instant - it's a strange feeling when you have full control but can't feel the rail engage during the transition and I'm super keen to see where it takes me in better waves. I even did a couple of very late floaters and wondered how I even got there.

I got a couple of waves at the end of the 2nd session where I did a couple of forehand cutbacks on small mushy waves and didn't think much of them. When I got out a couple of young blokes came over to have a look at the board saying that it looked like it went really well in such bad waves. I was a little surprised as I didn't think much of the turns but it was still good to get some feedback from someone else's view.

I essentially needed a board to take over from the Tomo Vader when there is a lot of water moving around and a lot of paddling is needed - so far I feel it will be perfect for this.

Cannot wait to get it into some decent waves!!!
        Last edited by Goanna2; 04-20-2016, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Has anyone else experimented with fins on the Cornice? My 5'9" needs to be outfitted, and I am leaning toward a quad setup in Futures's Generation series (the Roberts, Stamps, or F6). I'm typically surfing in sub 6' punchy beach breaks along the Oregon coast where speed is an advantage. However, the board is described as being pretty fast already, so the control that is accompanied by the Generation series might be an advantage (when compared to a Blackstix setup).
          Last edited by jsh348; 06-22-2016, 09:06 PM.

Comment

I've only tried it as a thruster. I tried the Futures Rusty Blackstix and while they were fast and loose with good drive and hold they didn't seem to release well off the top (maybe too much hold). The Futures honeycomb AM2 thruster set made a big improvement in the release off the top while still maintaining the drive and hold.

So far the AM2s seem pretty good but I'm keen to try the cornice as a quad. I think I will just add some quad rears with the AM2 front fins. Has anyone else tried the cornice as a quad?

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Sorry. Posting issues again :-(
                I find the Cornice goes well as a quad and have enjoyed it in a 5-fin setup too. I found the 5-fin setup gives a bit more predictability to the wide tail of the Cornice when waves are pushing through a bit. Having said that, I enjoy the looseness and speed of it as a quad. Feeling the urge to test out some thruster setups again though as it's been a while; have been really enjoying the extra speed the quads give you.

Comment

Dan Mann (via Instagram - cool guy to answer my question hey?) suggested at my weight I try the large Simon Anderson Quad set. It went well but I'm not a quad fan so I put some Mat Biolos large thruster set in and Bingo! it went even better.

Comment

I tried the cornice as a quad using the futures AM2 fronts and AM1 quad rears. It was only one surf but I don't think it was better, it felt a bit stiffer. The waves were also pretty ordinary so I'm not sure. I went back to thruster today in 5-6' and had a couple of good waves which it went really well on and it tore off the bottom and then off the top. I was pretty happy with it. I have been waiting to get some good waves on it and really push it hard and today was a bit of a breakthrough surf on it. It definitely has a higher end than the sci-fi I think. Plenty of paddling today too! At one stage after a really good right it took 20 minutes to get back out!

Comment

Back into the thruster mood again, so had one surf a couple of weeks ago using the Shapers' S9 side fins with a Yu rear and it went really well as a thruster combination. Let's see whether tomorrow will reinforce that feeling.

Comment

So Tezza, can you be specific about the quad fins you tested?

I found the speed as a thruster and quad probably the same. It is certainly very fast as a thruster and on the Futures scale of things there is no need to use speed generating fins. They use a thing called ride number to describe this 0-9 speed control vs speed generation (all new to me as I have always had FCS plugs until the Cornice). The honeycomb AM2s have a ride number of 4.6 which mean it is balanced or neutral as far as speed generation/control goes. They are flat foiled with a nice flex pattern as opposed to the blackstix which have inside foils. This is a "dimension" that is absent from FCS fins but knowing the flex and inside foil (IFT or flat) you can work it out.

Anyway, the AM2 honeycomb thruster set don't appear to slow it down over the a honeycomb AM2 front/AM1 rear quad combination and add more pivot and release. The cornice is fast anyway - very fast.

Comment

Hey Slowman,
                          Yeah, the AM2s are a good fin; probably why it's one of the most 'copied' designs out there. I loved them in my old spitfire but found them a little small and possibly a little too raked for me on some of my later boards. Currently I switch between 2 front fins; the shapers fins S9 which are a deeper but thinner fin and the Kinetix Luke Egan fins which are fuller and more upright but not as deep as the S9. I sometimes also use the MR fins for more hold and control when the sea is churning and the water frothing; on still water days, it feels a little old, stiff and stodgy much like me :-)
                          So I usually view the front fins as my first fins to get right for my boards, being the pivot point and also how much drive, slide and hold I want with that pivot in turns. The rear fins whether it's a thruster or quad setup, I just adjust in size due to the conditions; larger for extra speed and squirt and where you have to push that back foot harder for more aggressive power turns or smaller fins when you want to loosen your board and just throw it around.
                          Sorry; now back to your question :-) I've got the Futures 3.50 and 3.75 quad rears as well as the Shapers Fins quad rear large. I do switch between all 3 depending on conditions and the board I'm riding at the time. The 3.75" ones are probably the all-rounder set.
                          Speed-wise, the Cornice is speedracer and I don't think you'll notice too much difference with a thruster or quad setup on this thing.
                          Speed generation as in projecting off your bottom turn or pumping to race a section I find the quads have a more immediate feedback in response, whereas the thruster is a freer smoother response.
                          With the maturity of a quad setup these last few years, to me, the thruster/quad is like the single/twin comparo of the old days; each have their merits and each give you a certain feel and style of performance; it just depends on what feeling you want on the day as to what you want to ride. That;s why I switch from one to the other every few months.
                          With IFT fins, I didn't take to the V foil fins when they first came out, but haven't tried a V2 foil set yet.
                          Also, I have the 5'5" (thanks iFX.64 :-)) and a 5'7" Cornice and find I prefer the S9s in the 5'5" and the Luke Egans in the 5'7", so size does matter :-)
                          Fins are always an ongoing experiment with every new board but so satisfying when you get a combo(s) that works for you.
                          Wow. Bet you're not going to ask me any more questions are you Slowman? I think I might have scared everyone else off as well with my drawn-out rambling.
                          I don't get out much :-)
                          Last edited by tezza; 04-11-2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Tezza, I don't mind a wordy answer at all! How's your cornice going, I have too many boards and haven't been riding it much, it's on ice for the moment I'll get back onto it when the current "magic" boards need a rest so the magic can regenerate.

Comment

Hi Slowman,
                              The Cornice is still going well; haven't ridden any other board since my last post. With the inconsistent winter waves and my extra winter 'coat', I've been riding the 5'7". Still have it set up and enjoying it as a thruster. Feels almost like a 'normal' board to me now, and still loving it, but doesn't mean I haven't been keeping an eye out for a new toy to try :-) SKX? Gamma? NPJ Duo? Phil Myers' Free Flight?

Comment

Working...
                              X