X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hwork50
    started a topic Dominator or Spitfire

Dominator or Spitfire

So I have a 6'2" DOM and really want a 6'0" Spitfire. They are not cheap new, although a RF DOM 6'0" is for sale in my area and it is FCS. Just so I am thinking clearly is the FST really worth the extra strength? And is the Spitfire really that different?

Just thinking about things.

Brent
    Last edited by hwork50; 04-24-2012, 07:35 PM.

• Slowman
    replied
    I have bamboo flooring, I might not be able to see the boards if I get RF!!

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
    Iggy,

Had did those 2 board compare? FST to Rapidfire? I am sold on the FST tech personally. Buzzy, congrats you will be totally stoked, is that a 5 fin set-up?

Brent
    Found the Rapidfire lighter than the FST, The input-output on the board is almost direct whereas with the FST you get this sort of "cushion" before the "twang" back. I like to call this the "organic"feel"
    I personally like better the FST... but the looks of the Rapid is sooooooo sexy

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    ohhh boyyyyy!!

Leave a comment:

• hwork50
    replied
    You should be fine as that would be the perfect size board for me. I am going to go to Surfride and feel up a couple of boards tomorrow, should be fun.

Brent

Leave a comment:

• buzzy
    replied
    Yeah, I'm ordering this board a little bit blind. I know I can carry less foam than in my 6'4" Dom and 6'8" Alt @ 90kg provided the wave has a little push to it, but the question is "how much less?" The Hellfire definitely carries a bit more foam at the same length. Given it is noticeably wider at the same length (6'4" being my reference point) it carries a tad less foam, suggesting it's quite refined, relatively speaking anyway. I've felt up the 6'4" Hellfire and it felt about right volume wise...I'll just see...if I hate it I can always use it as a trade in on a 6'4" Hellfire. I'm reasonably confident I'll be fine though. I'd love it if I could get that thickness and width Futura in a 6'6" - it'd be almost ideal based on past boards and allowing for the fact I'm fatter and slower to my feet than I once was. But 6'4" should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• hwork50
    replied
    I had the MRTX fins in there with a small trailer and it went really well. Before that I had a tough time on the board, as I think I should have gotten the next size up. Oh well, live and learn.

Leave a comment:

• buzzy
    replied
    Yeah, I expect so. It's brand new, have to wait two months for delivery new, so yeah, it should have the 5 fin boxes. I'll probably surf it as a thruster the vast majority of the time though - if it's soft enough I'm tempted to use a quad set up I'd probably be using the Dom for that.

Leave a comment:

• hwork50
    replied
    Iggy,

Had did those 2 board compare? FST to Rapidfire? I am sold on the FST tech personally. Buzzy, congrats you will be totally stoked, is that a 5 fin set-up?

Brent

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    Had a spit on rapid-fire and got the exact same board on FST and Is my go to board now!!

Leave a comment:

• buzzy
    replied
    Thanks, and good luck! I like FST too - more durable. Only a month and a bit until Futura D day as in delivery day for me!

Leave a comment:

• hwork50
    replied
    Great comments on all of that. I will be saving towards the Spitfire as I am ready to go down in volume. As far as the Futura goes I think it is a great board and wish I would have started with a 6'4" as I started with the 6'2 and would have gotten a lot more waves. Make sure that you look at the volume calculator as there is a difference in the Futura and the Hellfire in size on that for sure.

I personally like the 5 fin set-up of the hellfire and will be doing more surfing on that as I have only surfed it about 3-4 sessions. I just got a SP and love my DOM so much it is hard to switch up unless it gets bigger (4-6 foot).

I am going to stick with FST and will get a 6'0" Spitfire as I am so excited about getting that board. My quiver will have the following boards in it:

5'6" SP
    6'2" DOM
    6'0" Spitfire
    6'2" Hellfire

That will pretty much keep me busy and happy in almost any condition.

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    I agree also about getting the board you want. I bought a 5'10 Dominator a couple of years ago because there weren't any 5'8"s in stock. I spend the next 4 months wondering how a 5'8" would have been until I traded it in and got a 5'8" Spitfire.

Leave a comment:

• buzzy
    replied
    PS I agree get the board you really want. If you don't you'll always have a nagging suspicion you're missing out on something. Having said that Slowman and Chris have both said there's not a huge amount of difference between the Dom and Spit. My interpretation is its probably a similar performance difference as changing FG FCS fins for PC ones.

Leave a comment:

• buzzy
    replied
    Brent, how does the Futura compare to the Hellfire? I have a Hellfire on order and I'm therefore curious, as I was choosing between those two boards.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X