No announcement yet.

Spitfire Review - 2016 french beach break edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final wrap: I had another last "session" in 30-50 cm weak semi-clean "waves" on both Spitfire and Baby Buggy. They both didn't really work, even my 2 children struggled to get up and ride more than 3m. Sun, clearest water possible, beautiful scenery, worth it. No major rides though, just getting up, driving 5+ m and jumping off on the sand.
    I mainly used the Baby Buggy this time. Though it is a tiny tad slower while catching the wave than the SF, as expected, it did nearly as good as the spitfire in these nightmare wave conditions. Very impressive, great work from Biolos. Similar weight with Carbon wrap, so no effects from construction (FST vs carbon wrap; of course FST feels more durable).

Re-checked volumes on both boards: 34,9L on the SF (feeling a bit less, due to 2 1/2 thickness) and only 33,5 L on the custom 6'2 BB (felt a bit more). Once up the BB felt better on the wave, with more nose and tail curve. But I am forever a shortboard rider so no wonder I prefer this feel to the wider SF feel. Shape feels somewhat more lively, like having more options to get on rail with such a shape, and of course way more upside potential. Anyways.

For flat waves in Brittany and other likewise places the SF got himself a comfy place for now and I'll keep it. Not sure whether I'll take it to Hossegor/Landes, though. The tiny edge it might have over the Baby Buggy on the rare occasions with smallest, flatter, fatter, waves will be more than obliterated by its limitations in steep faces and it's less exciting feel. So I'll probably take BB and my Sci-fi to cover the lower grounds and then I'll have to snorkle on the smallest days or just pump the hell out of the other boards. A guy on the WIRE said you need to adjust your expectations to whats on offer to be in tune with the ocean. There is a lot to it. Despite the super "no wave" conditions it was great fun to be out there, paddle half an hour around rocks, and try to hit the ancle biters. Of course everyone loves a great wave, too :). Aloha!

Comment

No, surely 1-2ft face waves are not capable of pushing an 80kg man along on 35lt board? Its time you bought a sea axe apache! [haha]

Comment

It would not have helped I guess :)
        Besides, I am clearly above 90 with gear.

Comment

Lowering expectations is the key i reckon, on the really desperate days i count 3 standups as a surf, 3 turns as a decent surf in a session, and 2 turns on any one wave as a good surf. The alternative is buying a log and riding 15 waves to the beach standing bolt upright, no thanks.

The other advice i heard recently was not to get annoyed or distracted by anyone else in the water, positive vibes bring you waves? Im not sure but its worth a shot. My evo mates talks to everyone out in the water, and more often than not gets the wave of the day!
          Surfing somewhere like snapper would seriously test those theories!

Comment

Oh dear God why does this forum software keep eating my posts?

Has anyone who is riding a helium spitfire ridden an old FST spitfire and able to give a comparison of the 2?

Originally posted by Montygoesbananas View Post
            Slowman raved about the rusty profile as a quad with nubster, that was ultimately what I tried to copy with my Kinetic Racing X4 quads and a shapers darc drive nubster, so a smaller rear trailer and I really do believe this board is a quad and not thruster. Personally I found this to have a great combo of slide but the nubster helped it hold in a tad more especially for steeper walls on my backhand. It is literally 5 times looser board than the hashtag in my opinion (in a fun way) but that was probably also because I was surfing mine way over volumed in retrospect. Given you will be riding yours at th correct volume you might find the thinner tail means you can get away without the nubster .
            Monty, I still ride this combination, and love it on a fatter wave, though I think my Evo works better on the same waves, but it sounds like the helium spitfire rails and rocker might have been tweaked a little hence my interest in the comparison between a new one and an old one. The Rusty R2 is a sort of balanced all round fin similar to the FCS2 performer, which I found quite uninspiring in the hashtag. The MF1 loosened my hashtag up enough to really do some good snaps. Good drive and excellent release.

I don't think I've ever tried the spitfire as a thruster but I am a little keener to try it now just because as a quad (with knubster) it doesn't get much drive out of little speed turns, probably because of the fullish rails and the quads and it's more of a pumping motion to get it going, I've found on some other boards even though quad seemed faster as a thruster they were better at generating speed from little turns because of the better pivot and release action (for example my evo and vader).

Comment

fkn forum

Ha ha, you would think after 1156 posts it may have been fixed by now, but no one cares obviously apart from us who can do zero about it!

Interesting thoughts on the helium spit, i saw a helium Dom in the shop and it might be the bright white of helium making it look sexier, or they have slimmed it a tad in the rails.
              I think you would find both models surf a fair bit differently in helium build even if they havent tweaked them slightly. I would love to try a helium spit or dom.

remember slow, always copy before pressing the self destruct button! like i just did before it disappeared........

Comment

Is Spitfire still a good go to design with all the options available?
                Who rode FST and Helium verions? Pros and con's? Is Helium strong enougth to foot dents?
                Can anyone compare to a pyzalien?

Comment

Any share?

Comment

Hi HSO I haven't ridden the helium spitfire but speaking to a sponsored guy the other day he said it is one of his favourite go to boards when waves are average and he was raving about helium. I used to have a big FST one, I now have another board that covers the same wave range for me but if it breaks I would look seriously at getting a new helium one. Spitfire will have a lower end range than the Pyzalien which can be ridden in better bigger waves. The Spitfire is much wider at the same lengths.

Comment

HSO, that bar was too high ;). Don't know whether there will be many here to answer theses questions ...

So you'll only get a low answer by an intermediate "spit in fst but not in helium owner"

Spit Design: well, I don't particularly like the spit, and frankly I do think there were and are better designs including Midas, gamma, evo, pyzalien, maybe AB, chubby chedda - it lacks a bit of rocker imho to be a real good all rounder except if you only ride flatter waves, there it's fast

Helium is certainly an upside. It feels softer than fst on dry land in my new gamma - first time use is gonna be in 7 days, so no real experience yet. Pu dents on the flats and flexes under the fingers. Fst never dents. Helium didn't dent stepping on it, very strong resistance overall, so u guess it's gonna be rather closer to fst than pu. Lft does get kneewells, but no footwells. So if you're really looking for footwells - buy a PU :)))). Helium is great though - but I'd personally wait for or get another shape.

Comment

rode my helium spitfire in 5 ft hurricane swell today.. thing is epic.. so fast and wraps with ease.. blows the chubby chedda away.. have had it out in up to about 7ft so far and have had zero issues in the beach breaks i surf..

Comment

Very interesting reports on spitfire here im confused . Kdropin you seem to be riding it in big waves and other people are saying flat face waves not much bigger then 5ft its limit, no good when it barrels. So has the helium spitfire profile changed vs FST Spitfire it must have, or is it just helium. So if you didn't like the FST Spitfire would go and buy a helium spitfire and see if the tech makes a big difference, i probably wouldn't but i haven't ridden a Spitfire. If the Spitfire has gone from a ok board to a brilliant board because of helium, imagine how good the Evo will go in helium when it's released early next year.
                          Last edited by Fitchy; 09-25-2017, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Fitchy you 'can' ride a spitfire in big waves, but it is more suited to fatter faced waves and definitely not taking off under the lip. This clip from a while back with Timmy Reyes was mostly shot on a spitfire I believe and it shows the upper end potential of the board, but Timmy would be on a tiny one (like 5'7") and you notice even though he rides some barrels the wave is letting him roll in and set a rail first (and he's a freak as well). Don't think that the board has changed dimension wise with the new construction, think it just makes it more dynamic and snappy is all but haven't ridden one so take that with a grain of salt
                            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z2B11BOaryQ

Comment

As I already wrote: imho the shape of the spitfire didn't change with helium (maybe it's different with the dominator as the FW insta said something somewhere...), saw both and didn't see anything. It may feel different with helium though. The sunrise review footage showed a classic spitfire in action though, driven by maybe a new lightness.....

Beyond this, there are as many Spitfire lovers as ex-lovers I guess, from observation here I'd say it's mixed (unlike with the evo where most tend to like it or the AB with similarly positive feedback...). So nothing clear HSO. Kdropin loves his so there is love, I find mine a bit dull so there is neglect:))

Comment

I ride my pyzalien 6'2''. would go 5'10'' on the SF.
                                I would like a smallr board, around same volume, just to don't have the need to move my feet back and front. just put them set and change the weigth font to back leg when needed.
                                I have a groveler and a step up. So would be the go to board

Comment

Working...
                                X