X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Edge
    started a topic Spitfire fin opinions.

Spitfire fin opinions.

hey guys, I own a 5, 11 spitfire and a 6, 0 lost stealth model firewire. I've been playing around with fin options and was hoping to get some feedback on what everyones favorite future fins were for their spitfires. Quad and thruster set ups. Right now i've got the rob machado thrusters and the v2f4's as quad. Mainly surfing waist-chest high florida surf. Anybody have any killer fin set ups they've really enjoyed on the spitfire? I've been looking at the wct tech flex rtm's from Futures, thoughts? any help would be awesome!

• C0111N5
    replied
    Just my two-bob in regards to fins...

I'm on a 5'6" Spitfire, I currently have a set of new quad Elevons in, which seem pretty good. Had this setup out in 6ft+ solid beach breaks and they held very well. They also kind of smoothed the ride out, wasn't doing much turning though on the 5'6". I think they work better at speed as I get a bit of tail slide when in small punchy surf, nothing major, pretty fun if anything. Don't drive as well as the Rusty's below but that could just be me.

Also use the Rusty 5 fins as a quad, which I think I will swap back to next surf. Good hold and fun to drive (drive better as a quad). Might have to get a Deviant fin and try with this setup. Have used them as a thruster setup but don't seem to be as fun, not as fast.

Also tried the Controllers once, which I leave on the Potato usually, as previously mentioned they are quite restricting so I wouldn't suggest going there.

Hope that helps : )

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    good stuff prj. good insight there.

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    Ok, fail on the surf so I'll get this reply going.
    First PC5. The way I look at PC5 is they are an all rounder to work for the widest range of people possible. Nothing drastic. Not too upright, not too raked, just a solid medium size fin that will work in nearly all conditions and boards but maybe won't give you an advantage in any.
    The K2.1 on the other hand is a lot more upright with a smaller rear allowing for quick direction changes and tight turns and plenty of release. The downside, is it too much release for you? That's something you won't know without trying them. I think for me, I drive quite a bit off the front foot and feel like I need a bit more rake in the fins to hold the tail in and the k2.1s would nearly always release on me. Fun when you want them to but if you want to wrap right round into a roundhouse it's very hard when the fins release.
    That's probably down to my technique but I get on my better with the K3, especially on shorter boards where the extra rake makes up for the shorter rail line.

Between the SF4 and K2.1 quad, I didn't notice a huge performance difference. Just a slightly different feel. I had the SF4s in glass flex and the K2.1 in PC though. I think maybe the SF4 in PC would have a little more drive. Both sets offer good release as a quad.

My preference was always quad for smaller, racey, hollow waves and the thruster for everything else but I can imagine the quad being a great choice in softer, weaker stuff too.

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    I've used those sets a fair bit. I'll try and write something helpful when I get back from this dawny attempt. So prob in half an hour..... Ha

Leave a comment:

• core personal training
    replied
    2.1's to me at 85-90kg felt looser and free-er with similar hold/drive to the 5's...never needed step up fins...this was in "nevs" 6'2-6'3-6'4's with narrow tails and lots of rocker...loved them...want them in futures with the nice stiff base...that would be perfect..!!

Leave a comment:

• Alex Edge
    replied
    Erling, I'm wondering the same thing. If you get some feedback let me know!

Leave a comment:

• Erling
    replied
    What would be the best setup for a softer wave?

Still haven't found the right thruster fins for my 5'8... the ones I've tried have had good amount of drive, but felt a bit too stiff, PC7 and Scarfini Hx3.
    Going to try out SF4-quad the next time, and then the PC5-thruster on a day with good waves.
    Think that maybe quad is the way to go (for speed) if the wave is softer, but still have some nice sections that make me want to use the spit instead of the sweet potato.

How does the quad SF4s compare to the K2.1s?
    And how does the thruster K2.1s compare to the PC-5 ?

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    No spring or anything. It relies on water pressure during turning to push the fin to either side. When surfing you're on either rail pretty much the whole time so the fin doesn't need to rest in a central position. It's always matching your engaged rail's fin cant. The hinge is a kind of barrel mechanism. They are well worth trying out, especially in wider tailed hybrid boards I reckon. They really tighten up your turning radius and fluidity through turns by reducing drag. A secret weapon when the waves are smaller!

Leave a comment:

• Slowman
    replied
    Originally posted by iggy View Post
    Since the deviant changes the can't angle as you turn, that means that there is way less drag on the board while performing turns, making you come out of them with considerably more fluidity and speed. That's what I meant with the kick.
    Fritzkat the central hatchet on the souls releases off the top pretty nicely as well.If you local shop has a fin tree available I invite you to try them and experience how much fun they are

[ATTACH=CONFIG]274[/ATTACH]
    I can't quite tell how it bends, is that a hinge or some kind of flexing device? I've seen the video clip and can see it seems to be self centering or have some kind of spring return mechanism, but never close up enough to see much, so wondered if it really was a hinge.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    yeah, snappy backside hardware.

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    Totally agree

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    i think if i'm surfing a predominant left (back hand) that's when the deviant goes in. i find it works really well for surfing tighter back hand.

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    Well the deviant is pretty much on the board most of the time. The time is not is generally because is on somebody's board getting tested.
    When I want to get a bit more vertical I put the deviant, it allows you to tight my arcs quite a bit and when you have fast sections as well.
    My local conditions are quite consistent so sphere it depends on the mood but when I get to the East Coast then is when I can actual feel the difference

Leave a comment:

• Danga
    replied
    Do you leave the deviant fin in all the time or do you change? If change why?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X