No announcement yet.

Slab vs HS Love Buzz vs Chubby Chedda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the video is awesome, the pyzalien on sale is squash tail. So the Gipos is the board i like most, feels a little overvolumed for me, maybe because it is so wide, but very stable and quick, even to 5 feet, though it is difficult to make drops on beach breaks.

Comment

Jorge, that helps a lot BUT confuses me even more ;)

you got some pretty decent shapes from a (slightly oversized) 5'6 groveller, an allrounder with some upper end in the right length/volume (7s) and good rocker and another small wave allrounder from Xanadu. Unless you hate one of these (so you know what to avoid) or they are all too big now, there is no need to get another board at 27 L and even more a small wave allrounder at the same volume like the chubby (even though it's a great board).

Taking it around : If I take it that (1) you want to go lower in volume (2) get an allrounder (3) with more performance while (4) you felt the slab with a bit slim
      and you are (5) really interested in a FW board

then I'd say get a 5'8 Amigo. It's smaller, more HP, fst epoxy (so lighter) and a squash tail, user friendly, large range. Less nervous than the slab, an 25,x L epoxy has more float than PU. It will compliment your pintail slip stream and you have your Xanadu and fart knocker as grovellers. If you want less volume for small wave HP surfing then you could eventually look at a size smaller (!) chubby as allrounder. Don't think the pyzalian fits in there. :)

Comment

I way preferred my hashtag to the FW chubby chedda I demoed for several days. The chubby actually has a fairly low nose rocker (especially compared to #) but quite a lot of tail curve, which I found slowed it down a fair bit although it did turn well. I would go amigo or # over CC, or wait for gamma or stubby bastard to be released and get helium tech
        Last edited by Montygoesbananas; 07-06-2017, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Monty have you made a decision what your next board will be?

Comment

sorry for the confusion apache, i should have given more detail, i no longer have the fartknocker, i love the xanadu gipos in small waves, it is fast and relatively manueverable (i think i could have even gone 5'6 instead of 5'8) but anyways works well even up to 5 feet, as far as the 7s slipstream i havenīt used it that much but notice i have to be more careful when applying force with the back foot (i don't consider myself heavy footed but perhaps being used to the other shapes that have wider tail) i have noticed that sometimes i put too much pressure on the back that slows me down, anyways it is not as fast as the gypos and a bit harder to turn and slower, perhaps i need to ride it more but that's the input so far in regards to the slipstream 7s in 5'9, so havenīt decided yet if i want to keep it or sell it.
            ​My concern with the 5'8 amigo is about being able to catch many waves since it only has 25.2 liters (fear of undersizing in volume). So the amigo is easier to ride than the slab? Why don't you like the pyzalien? Or is it because the volume i mentioned was bigger? 27 liters for the 5'9.

Comment

by the way what size you think would be good in my case for an EVO? should i go to my lower volume range (25-26) or something in the middle like 27? I remember Apache mentioned sometime that maybe drop 1-2 liters from my middle volume range for an evo?
              Last edited by jorgeags; 07-06-2017, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Good morning Jorge,
                It's funny (but a very common fact in life) that with any bit of information the situation assessment changes.
                With what you wrote about your gypos and slipstream I get a completely different picture than 1 mail before. :)))
                1. You're covered for really small waves with the gypos
                2. You have a better wave board with definitely hp features, the 7s, but instead of feeling limited by it being too big, you experience (like with your test drive slab) that it's slower than your gipos and trickier.

So in fact you look for something in between, less HP (=slow) than your 7s, but a bit more HP than the gypos. Fully understandable.

Seen in that light your choice of boards (mail above) is still a good one, the CC is good "middle ground", so is the pyzalien and to some degree the Amigo. The amigo is the most HP and if you struggle a bit on the 7s I'd rather recommend CC or pyzalien, 26-27,5 L range.

As to the evo: alternative shape, fun, fast, allrounder. Size it 1-2?L lower than a normal board. Could be a fun choice too. Only downside it's LFT - or go TT.

As for pyzalien: if you want more drive and slide of the back foot go square tail, for better waves - more hold go swallow.

You can't really go wrong either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Fitchy View Post
                  Monty have you made a decision what your next board will be?
                  No still going back and forward between SKX, Monsta box or stubby bastard. They are all so close dims wise I don't think I can really go wrong with any. Realistically it is still another 2 months off (tax returns anyone!) and I am going to demo the Monsta box before then as well. The SKX is probably what I would like most of all, still a little concerned on LFT though. If it 100% had the thicker helium deck skin on top I wouldn't worry. Would love to give helium a go as my FST boards have always been so good, so stubby definitely a contender, and the Monsta box well parko rides one as his groveller say no more.

Comment

I mentioned the EVO because i saw one almost new at 5'3 (27liters) for $490 but considering that it is LFT (have heard it is not very durable) and since the volume is on my middle to upper limit then I suspect it would work more as a groveler (an i want more of an all rounder that can handle also overhead and a bit above), so then probably the CC, pyzalien or amigo (more hp) are the best choices considering all what you have said :)

Comment

What do you think of the Nano? Does it require to be a better surfer to really enjoy it? Because size range I believe a NANO 5'4 or 5'5 would be on my range. If so probably, then CC or Amigo are best bets

Comment

the problem with the amigo sizes is that i can only pick a 5'8 at 25.2 liters or a 5'10 at 27, i remember Apache you recommended not getting something over 5'8 or 5'9 due to my height, and 5'8 may seem on my low volume range

Comment

Well I ride my longest non pure step up at 6'4, and I know >6'5 there is gonna be a lot of board in front of my 2 feet to turn. This said I am 6'4-5 tall. I am quite lean / tall, so a shorter / stronger built man may ride a longer board than his height (think Adriano de Souza) but there is an upper ceiling. I believe it's 2-3'' above your height, maybe 1-2'' more on a pintail. It's just a general thought, but if you want an allrounder it's not meant to be too long - or you end up on a step up for 8ft+.
                          So you must choose a shape with more volume like the CC or omni or evo or pyzalien - or go a bit HP and a bit lower in volume on the amigo :))) (or custom order one a tad thicker at good length loosing the FST FireWire magic but getting correct dims in return / the old FW conundrum of missing sizes....)
                          Last edited by apache; 07-10-2017, 02:14 PM.

Comment

thanks, that is great reference Apache, my options are reducing probably a 5'8 CC or drop volume with a 5'8 Amigo, or if i can get a second hand Evo or Nano, even a Lost Short round, i saw a 5'6 with some good volume

Comment

Working...
                            X