Sci Fi and Evo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sci Fi and Evo

The waves didnt come to the party so a comparison in chest high waves was always going to favor the Evo. I paddled out 1st on the 6'6 45lt sci fi, the waves when they came were hollow reef break peelers breaking close to exposed reef. So it is not the type of break where you can confidently paddle hard into a wave and not have the possibility of ending up on the rocks.
    I am, and always have been, slow to stand up, i have had a hip replacement on my front leg, and i am around 95-100kg's, so you get the picture.
    The sci fi did not paddle in to the waves well, it felt like it had a lot of nose rocker, but as i said, a younger fitter surfer would not have the same troubles.
    I was surprised at how well the sci fi went when i was on the small waves, it was fast and lively and my last wave on it i surfed out on the face to give myself room and cutback to wrap it around and hit the lip, figure 8, on a waist high wave. I havent done that in a long time!
    Happy with the turn i went in and swapped to the evo, my board of choice in these waves, 6ft 44lts, it immediately felt more familiar and paddled better even though it is slightly smaller.
    Catching waves was much easier as it would glide in to the waves with less effort, and that would make me much less nervous about the rocks so i could concentrate on surfing the wave.
    Although i did my best turn on the sci fi the session on the evo i felt more involved and connected with the waves and board. I also noticed the evo was better surfed with my back foot right back on the tailpad, it can be surfed quite aggressively with a wide ish stance. Next time i will ride both in HH and over waves to compare.

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼 Keith!
    Personally I usually don't feel too much difference while catching a wave on different shapes (except for the MPH - they catch easier), but there are huge differences in the get go moment after getting up. That's when I bog my Vader's or spitfire's nose, misdirect my DFR in the wave face, misplace my weight on my sci-fi or (in weak waves) MB or mistime my first 2-3 pumps on any shape. If this zone is past the drivier and the more foregiving shapes shine more.
    #, MB are top (on the appropriate waves), then comes the sci-fi, and after that it is work in progress, with DFR, Vader and spitfire all not yet figured out or more tricky to ride well.
    That's why the # often shines (if waves are not took weakish), because I do less of the aforementioned mistakes at the early stage and it's really predictable later. And the same holds true for the MB for better, OH waves.
    Now the Sci-fi is in the better half of my quiver, and manouvers are more exciting, and it surely is drivier than # or MB, but especially the pumping bit with a correct weight distribution is trickier to do and some manoeuvres tend to end a ride while on my other shapes I might do a less convincing move but I can link it to the next move. Of course it is a matter of experience and getting used to, too, with a newer shape.

So it totally makes sense what you describe about your Evo and your sci-fi. That's why I am flirting with the idea of an Evo as the more foregiving shapes make for longer rides. Really looking forward to your next test.

Comment

I dont usually have so much trouble getting in to them, but these waves were very unforgiving, with no easy entry, so as you describe, that moment when you have just caught it and it bottoms out, and its a scramble to get your feet and line right, with the evo, because it is so stable on takeoff, you dont have to adjust as much to set your rail and work out how to compose yourself for a turn.
      The V boards are similar with their straight rails, they paddle(knife) in and catch waves with calmness and blistering speed. i am surprised you have had the odd problem with the vader. On the vanguard i had i dont think i ever messed up the 1st few metres of the wave, it was further along where i was going so fast i didnt know what to do with it!
      The evo has some aspects of the V boards in that it planes well into waves but is a lot more forgiving if something pops up like a boil/buckle backwash etc. Or your weight /feet, is/are not quite right.
      That 'softness' of the evo dulls the extreme speed experience you get with the V boards and to some extent the excitement of the sci fi, but as Fitchy has found on his, you catch heaps of waves and ride them for a long way, because the board forgives your slight stuff ups, and enhances your strengths. Say you are good at doing little rebound reos at the oncoming section, with the evo you can push it hard at the foam and waft the fins free with control. It can make us average surfers feel like we just got an 8.33 to win the heat, or whatever deluded thoughts you might have! just get one apache...

Comment

Exactly what I meant in respect to foregiving / well-known shapes!
        As to the Vader bogging at get go: I never had trouble getting into the wave on anything above 1,50 m or waves from 1m on with some push, but with really weak/small waves even the Vader need one or two short pumps and that's when it bogs. If I manage / dare to do a bottom turn first it's less of a problem as the Vader climbs easily back on a weak shoulder. But in truly gutless stuff I usually go sideways with 1-2 pumps before trying to bottom turn or do anything else as usually those waves run away and don't offer enough time/power for a proper initial turn. Much easier to do with some (any) kind of nose. A super small Vader might possibly work though as the rail will probably bury in and allow for pushing - due to low volume. But even my 5'8 is too large for that.
        I'll sit and wait for an Evo to come along....

Comment

Keith you are spot on with a 8.33 ride on the evo for a intermediate. that's the feeling I get on the Evo like I've never had on any other board. You feel like you are surfing like a champ, were ever you look and want to turn the Evo will take there with heaps of drive and back foot punch on a nice shape clean wave. That's why I ride the Evo 90% of the time and will never leave my quiver unless Tomo comes out with something better. Apache can't wait until you get the Evo you will be on a winner.
          Last edited by Fitchy; 11-04-2016, 05:12 PM.

Comment

DSC_3686.jpg !!!!!!!!!!
            That brings a smile to my face Fitchy, you are dead right, me and my omni/evo mate have a friend who lives in Hong Kong and surfs big wave bay, a crap beach break there.
            He is mid 50's like us and was never a very good surfer, bit kooky style wise. He bought an outer island 7ft pintail to ride on his indo trips, which is fine, nice board for 8ft G land, but we steered him on to a 5'11 evo, he sent me a pic of him on it in the Phillipines, my god, i could not believe how good, he and the board look. he also loved it at Cloud 9 for barrel riding. It is just such an easy board to surf well on, irons out kooky styles and helps you do nice controlled turns at speed.
            an evo will come by and knock on your front door sometime soon apache;)
            Last edited by evo maniac; 11-24-2016, 09:47 PM.

Comment

That's awesome Keith your mate loving the Evo and surfing the barrels over there. Hopefully I'll go on a surf trip next year, if I do I'll take my FST Nano because if it's higher wave range. Surfed my Evo in clean 1- 2 foot waves today, waves had ok shape on the bigger sets. The Evo went great, it was barely 2ft but just having slight curve and shape I could crack 1-2 turns out on some waves. Amazing board I never get sick of.
              Last edited by Fitchy; 11-05-2016, 05:34 PM.

Comment

First I'll sell my SA Mollusk, then ill think about the Vader and then there might be an Evo. It is weird, i still exactly recall the moment i bought the Mollusk in october 2010, surfing my Jordan Fish back then most time and sometimes my Hybrid Type 6'10 Nev shape. It felt so small then and yet it was faster, slicier, better, smaller than all my other boards. And now it looks and feels like a boat and i cant imagine at all going back surfing it.

Comment

6'10 nev that's amazing Apache it's crazy how the quiver changes. I've been surfing for 17 years for 14 years i rode performance boards 6'1- 6'2 18 1/2 to 19 wide and under volumed. I didn't even no my volume what ever felt good under my arm and looked cool I got. Didn't no anything about fins what ever was the best colour I got. Thanks to people like you Apache and the internet I no everything about surfboards volume and fins what's going to best suit and improve my surfing. Good mate I surf with who was overseas for 2 years who come back I've been surfing with the last six months. He said to me how much my surfing has improved that made me feel so good noing everything I've learnt and no in the last 3 years has made a difference. It's so awesome being on this forum talking boards and surfing with a good bunch of people and funny nicknames like BallsDeep sorry BD. I Also rode the crabby FCS 1 pugs for 14 years that I kept breaking and repairing got on Futures 3 years ago and thought what the hell was I doing on FCS 1 all this time. FCS 2 is a major improvement but I better not speak to highly I might loose a fin like a lot do.
                  Last edited by Fitchy; 11-06-2016, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Sci Phi Action
                    Harbor Days on 5'7" Tomo Sci-Fi Slater Designs Firewire, 10/20/16, Deforest Cooper - Oceanside, CA

Comment

https://youtu.be/nhHblLNGT7c
                      Another one. Good rider, low volume side, ideal sci-fi conditions.

Comment

hehe funny you should mention that Fitchy, I've similarly found these forums (and you guys on here) have helped me in a huge way... learned a lot and improved a lot... my surfing and the boards I ride have changed so much, just in the past year... surfing nearly every day has also played a big part in that I guess ;) but this after nearly 30 years of riding just standard HPSB thrusters ranging from 6'1 to 6'4 (and other than a little experimenting with a finless board in recent years) - my surfing was pretty stale... and down to maybe only going a few times every few months if I was lucky... started going a few times a week for fitness... perfect timing last summer as we had probably one of the most consistent summers ever (probably why I'm so depressed now ;) ) ... it was good nearly every day so kept going more and more til it was every day and I started buying and selling a few FW boards and started getting into the forums ... though in my case I found the opposite - I'd been riding boards with too much volume all those years and ended up dropping 4 - 7L instead (not that I knew anything about volume 18 months ago or even using fins different to what the board came with)... kind of kicking myself for not doing it sooner ... better late than never I suppose ;)

Comment

Yeah IFx I also got so much out of this forum, to understand differences of shapes AND preferences. Also dropped a lot of L coming onto it though I most honestly say I wouldn't have been ready for it 3 or 4 years earlier still going though fish and big shortboard shapes. I would have needed other boards like a DOM like 10 years ago, to shortcut a slow learning curve on either too thin/small or minimal type boards but back then they simply weren't on the (European) market.

Now we're living in great times. Stoked for you you can surf that often - cherish it and throw in your reports. ;)

Comment

Well, unfortunately the every day thing has dropped right off as of late... partly due to a 2yo highly spirited little crazy man we have that has decided that 4:30 - 5am is a good time to wake up and cause mayhem (the only time I'm usually able to go for a wave) and a newborn who I usually take care of for the 3am feed (sometimes while putting a wetsuit on ;) )
                            But also the fact that it's been nearly dead flat for the past couple months with only a few days here and there with anything remotely worth going out in :(

really hoping for some decent swell soon as I'm starting to lose my mind

Comment

Such a great read and review IFX.74 and Apache so happy for you guys and your right Apache we are living in great times love my quiver so amped to surf so much passion for surfboards like never before. Is hard to believe 3 years ago i didn't no anything to what I no today so so stoked yew.

Comment

Working...
                              X