Potatonator: small wave assasinator?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys

So what has the better paddling ability, the Dom or the Pnator? I know that wider nose boards plane and paddle better but what are the drawbacks?

I found my dominator always worked better on quads. I used AM2 Techflex for fronts and Simon Anderson SA4 for the trailers. As I'm 95kgs, I found the Anderson fronts just laacked a bit of drive. So I'm not sure if I should you that setup on a Pnator :(

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie View Post
      Ok sounds good. and what size would u think for my weight and height?
      If you are on the intermediate skill level, 5'8"-5'10".What's the smallest board you've ridden?

Comment

Originally posted by jon_bro View Post
        Hi guys

I know that wider nose boards plane and paddle better :(
        There's an argument waiting to happen!
        If you're comparing same size P'nator and Spitfire then a P'nator will have more foam and will paddle better.
        If you're comparing a P'nator and a Spitfire in the same litreages the P'nator will be shorter which should make it be every bit as manouvreable as the Spitfire in 2-5' waves.
        The extra thickness throughout the P'nator will support your weight more than a thinner Spitfire which will keep your board from bogging in smaller waves.

Comment

Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
          There's an argument waiting to happen!
          If you're comparing same size P'nator and Spitfire then a P'nator will have more foam and will paddle better.
          If you're comparing a P'nator and a Spitfire in the same litreages the P'nator will be shorter which should make it be every bit as manouvreable as the Spitfire in 2-5' waves.
          The extra thickness throughout the P'nator will support your weight more than a thinner Spitfire which will keep your board from bogging in smaller waves.
          Comparing a 6 4 Dom to a 6 2 Pnator. Wouldn't mind goin down to a 6 Pnator but I ride a sweet potato 5 8 and love the extra volume. In a log heavy line up I want max waves rather than 2 for the 2 hours I'm out haha. I know the SP nose is full and planes nicely but I want something I can lay a bit more on rail. And have taken my SP out in solid 6 beach break (got told I had some brassy ones being out in that swell) when I should have taken my Dom. I just like getting on waves early as poss but 3 foot is the limits of the SP for me. Hence why I think the Pnator will suit heavier guys who want a 6 6+ board.

Need to know where I can get a 6 2 Pnator in Sydney too :)

Comment

I'm 173 lbs 5-10 riding 5-4 sp. lovin it but need more hold on bigger days.
            been red lining sp in 4 ft hawaiian( i know wrong board but sooo fun)m5 sides w/ sf4 backs for bigger days.
            Tried 6-4 dom and did not like it. way too big.
            so, will a 6 pn at same volume as dom feel too big too. would like more volume for summer time crowds paddle power but dont want a boat either. will 4 less inches make a big difference in maneuverability vs dom, or should i get 5-10 pn which has same vol as my sp?
            to the guys that have sp and pn, do you lose alot of maneuverability when you size up 4-6 inches to the pn from sp?

Comment

Comment

Hi guys, found this thread after almost deciding a 6'5" el fuego would be the right board for me, i had a 6'4" dom but didnt like it, found it hard to paddle compared to my other high volume boards, namely a webber minifish, my groveller.
                Cuttlefish has my attention with his grommet like stoke and now i think i want a Potatonater.
                I am 52, 95kg+, 6'3" and i used to be advanced but have regressed to beginner, although i would like to think i am still in the intermediate class.
                I am looking for a board which paddles well and is fast off the mark, the waves i want it for are mostly fat wally waves that are not steep. Sometimes a section pops up that i could do a top turn but its mostly cutbacks. I would not want a board that fits in the barrel cos that is very rare around Mandurah.
                I can relate to cuttlefish and his sore hip as i have a metal right hip and bad knees. But i have surfed my brains out for 38 years and hope to do so for as long as i can.
                There are so many good boards out there and forums like these are invaluable to find the right ones, any suggestions?

Comment

Have you looked at the Potatonator, Sweet Potato and Addvance?

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
                    Hi guys, found this thread after almost deciding a 6'5" el fuego would be the right board for me, i had a 6'4" dom but didnt like it, found it hard to paddle compared to my other high volume boards, namely a webber minifish, my groveller.
                    Cuttlefish has my attention with his grommet like stoke and now i think i want a Potatonater.
                    I am 52, 95kg+, 6'3" and i used to be advanced but have regressed to beginner, although i would like to think i am still in the intermediate class.
                    I am looking for a board which paddles well and is fast off the mark, the waves i want it for are mostly fat wally waves that are not steep. Sometimes a section pops up that i could do a top turn but its mostly cutbacks. I would not want a board that fits in the barrel cos that is very rare around Mandurah.
                    I can relate to cuttlefish and his sore hip as i have a metal right hip and bad knees. But i have surfed my brains out for 38 years and hope to do so for as long as i can.
                    There are so many good boards out there and forums like these are invaluable to find the right ones, any suggestions?
                    Addvance would be my call!!

Comment

Keith,

I have surfed a few spots around Mandurah i.e.. surf beach/avalon and i think either the 6'2 or 6'4 Potatonator or the 6'6 Advance would be the go...........probably lean towards the Potatonator?

Comment

Keith,

I have surfed a few spots around Mandurah i.e.. surf beach/avalon and i think either the 6'2 or 6'4 Potatonator or the 6'6 Advance would be the go...........probably lean towards the Potatonator?

Comment

Hi Keith,
                          I reckon Iggy's pointing you in the right direction.
                          I've also gone down the mini-fish route a few years back. I first owned a 6'er but wanted an easier time catching waves and after talking to Greg Webber tried a 6'3" demo for a couple of weeks.
                          I found where the mini-fish excelled was in hollow waves. The double barrel concave loved a sucky wave and the speed was crazy. But it's downfall for me was in fatter waves where it would slow right down.
                          I've also owned the 6'6" Addvance and used it as a shortboard replacement rather than a groveller/longboard replacment.
                          The 6'6" planes nice and early (fish-like) and it's tail allows easy carving cutbacks when teamed with good fins. I could still do vertical snaps on better waves.
                          Haven't had the pleasure of surfing the 6'10" yet but would dearly love to. I'd say you'd be happy with either. At my/yor weight the 48 litre Addvance would float you just above belly button level. The sweet potato at 51 litres floats me at just bellow belly button (board level underwater). The 6'10" would be floating you at waistband of your boardies (unless your Harry high pants).
                          Depends upon how much duckdiving the wave you surf has you doing. You'll be able to easily duckdive the 6'6" but will have an easier time catching waves on the 6'10".
                          Your time to pop up will be good on both Addvances and later takeoffs aren't an issue because even though it's got a wide nose it's got late flip which prevents pearling.
                          It will be planing early and the 6'10" will be a better bet if you have to deal with any crowds.
                          I am with you on be a little non-plussed by the dominator and riding the 6'6" dom and the 6'6" Addvance back to back in 3-4' sucky beachbreaks which were often close to closing out had me happy I'd chosen a 6'6" Addvance as opposed to a dominator.
                          The only reason I've now got a 6' sweet potato was to get maximum glide over fat sections at my local beachbreak where it will break, then back off, then hit the shorey.
                          It was a choice inbetwwen the 6' sweet potato and the 6'10" Addvance and I chose to have a crack at the sweet potato out of curiosity.
                          If it doesn't impress me enough it will be sold for a 6'10" Addvance.
                          Hope this helps. Any questions...fire away!

Comment

woops, double post.
                            I think the internet connection in Byron is on weed or something....it's sloooowwww man!
                            Last edited by cuttlefish; 03-18-2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Hi Keith, I'm very similar to you, around the same weight, and with double shoulder reconstructions. I have a 702 ADDvance and it is my go to board coming back from longboards. I also have a Sweet Potato but havent yet had a go on a Pnator but has a similar tail to the SP. I think the P-nator which will be a lot faster and skatey but also harder to catch waves and more technical to surf. If you are about catching waves the ADDvance makes life ridiculously easy. I can cut back my 702 and a 610 would be better. If you don't have any trouble catching waves and feel pretty confident with a sub 606 board, the Pnator may be the way to go. It is probably a choice for you.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Keith,
                                I'd be looking at a 6'4" at least if you do go for a p'nator. You will get better glide than on a 6'4" dom but it's not a glide monster. I find my 6'2" very easy to generate speed.
                                Both the experienced staff (both competent surfers...one very, very good) at our local surfshop are non-plussed by the dom. Both older guys like us. The better of the two has ridden it at a local point that can be super fast and was not impressed by its speed (Sorry dom lovers).
                                Just read your dominator thread and if you've got a 6'10" mollusc you'll probably be happy with the 6'6" Addvance unless you crave every wave then it's the 6'10"/

BTW I've demoed a 6'5" El feugo and though I tried hard to like it because I should as I like those kinds of lw rockered, wide nosed boards...I hated it. Found it difficult to catch waves and generate speed on the waves.
                                One thing you could try with the dominator before selling it.
                                Put a pair of MR tfx's and a trailer in it.
                                Personally I liked it much better than as a quad which I felt lacked drive.
                                Last edited by cuttlefish; 03-18-2012, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X