Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner on potatonator? Good for transition ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner on potatonator? Good for transition ?

Hey all, I'm 17 years old, 155-160pounds, and 5'9, and very fit Consider myself a novice/beginner surfer I started surfing a while ago and loved it! I currently ride foam top boards and mini mals (don't own a board). They are about 8-10 ft. I have greatly improved on my paddling and wave reading so I can catch waves. I can ride down the line and do minor turns(since on mini mal). I surf in Santa Cruz,California and normally the surf is small where I go. That's why I was thinking the potato nator What sizes would you guys recommend for my stats?

Based on your stats, your volume range (in liters) is 36 - 39. That being said, I would recommend a 510 Potatonator or a 505 Baked Potato.

Here is a link to the Volume Calculator so you can see what suites you best: http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/su...olume_calc.php

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

gabe0306@gmail.com based on your stats, a 5'4 Pnator and 5'1 baked potato would be good. If you are not a strong paddler, go one size up.

ALOHA!!

Comment

I'm gonna agree with Josh, or at least up in that area. I think the sizes posted by Hawaiiboi would be great for an intermediate surfer but as you're a beginner coming off big foamies, that extra volume is going to assist you more than inhibit you at this stage.

Comment

• gabe0306@gmail.com
          gabe0306@gmail.com commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds good! IIwas actually looking into a flexflight rightnow. Im looking at a 9 footer,
          What dimmensiins would your recommend? 3 inches thick(@ 69.5 L) or a little less at 60L

• hawaii_boi
          hawaii_boi commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm still a beginner and that's why i recommended those sizes. Gabe, everyone is giving great advice, BUT the only way you will truly know is to demo a board. Please let us know which board and size you go with!

ALOHA!!

At your weight the 60l longboard is still going to be more than enough I'd have thought.

Comment

• gabe0306@gmail.com
          Editing a comment
          I am curious with sizing. Looking into ggettinga Vanguard later on when I get better at surfing.What size would you recommend for me at 5'9, 160-165lbs and fit? TThiswill be for when I reach a low intermediate level of skill

gabe0306@gmail.com you mentioned you know how to read and catch waves. That's one of the most important thing to know and do when trying to get better IMO. You are 17 and 155-160 lbs, you will outgrow those extra volume boards right away and be forced to downsize. i still recommend a 5'4 to 5'6 Pnator or 5'1 to 5'3 baked haha.

ALOHA!!

Comment

• gabe0306@gmail.com
          Editing a comment
          Sounds good ! Thanks man and yeah I now have a 6'6 ADDVANC ill be surfing for a while, then probably go 5'8 Dominator. Ill later on get a 9' Flexflight or a baked potato to add to my quiver based on paddling strength.

Whats your quiver consist of and what are your stats? It could maybe guide me for future reference

gabe0306@gmail.com,
        - 5'8, 170-175 lbs, mid 30s, beginner/adv
        - 5'4 FST Sweet, 5'8 FST Spitfire
        - Future boards: 5'3 TT Baked, 5'6 FST Pnator, 5'10 Unibrow

ALOHA!!

Comment

• gabe0306@gmail.com
          Editing a comment
          Just for knowlege...
          Is there any reallr differences between the miniddriver and the unibrow? Ive seen both look very similar with volume and rocker

gabe0306@gmail.com I haven't had a chance to ride either board yet. However, any board (e.g., Dom, SP, BP, Pnator, Spitfire, etc.) that Dan Mann made with FW has been a success...
        Let us know what you decide on!

ALOHA!!

Comment

Gabe, the Unibrow has the wide point further back with a wider tail section and a narrower nose. The Mini Driver is wide point forward with a pulled in tail. Most of the volume up front. I'd look at the Mini Driver as more of a punchy good wave tube shooter with the ability to surf lesser conditions. The Unibrow is more an everyday board that's I reckon will have a better turning performance than the Mini Driver. The Unibrow will also handle good waves but that's how I'd split the two boards.

Comment

• gabe0306@gmail.com
            Editing a comment
            Does the hellrazor falll into any of these catergories? As far as easy paddle and losseness
        Working...
        X