X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris
    started a topic Potatonator

Potatonator

As the name implies, the POTATO-NATOR is the result of gene-splicing the SWEET POTATO and the DOMINATOR. With a longer rail line and less girth than the POTATO, and a slightly pulled in nose similar to the DOMINATOR, the POTATO-NATOR is meant to be ridden 4”-6” longer than a POTATO, and approx. 2” shorter than the DM. The double concaves are softer than the SWEET POTATO and while the overall rocker has been increased slightly to enhanced performance, the low entry rocker remains which makes paddling a breeze. Designed primarily for 2’-4’ surf, the POTATO-NATOR will hold its own in 3’-5’ as well. Fin placement is optimized to be ridden as a quad, but don’t be afraid to throw in a small, knubby trailer fin to help this hybrid 4-finner come alive in new ways. Splice and dice it up!

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/qu...id=potatonator

AVAIL NOW

• Chris
    replied
    benny i think they would work fine, so long as that fin suits your style!! I know there are some folks out there who have used them, so chime in!!

Leave a comment:

• benny81
    replied
    Has anyone tried MR TFX fins in the PN? Some on ebay at the moment with the trailer fin, not sure if their worth a shot, maybe the fronts with sf4 back fins??

Leave a comment:

• damo666
    replied
    Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
    The annual Firewire sale at Currumbin HQ last weekend has new boards showing up on Gumtree and Ebay now.
    Definitely, there's heaps of them on ebay at the moment!

Leave a comment:

• kdropin
    replied
    how much to ship to us? ha

Leave a comment:

• cuttlefish
    replied
    The annual Firewire sale at Currumbin HQ last weekend has new boards showing up on Gumtree and Ebay now.
    There's an ad on Ebay for a "potato" which is actually a 5'8" FST potatonator with FCS plugs.

Leave a comment:

• Fazza
    replied
    I take my Razor and the PNator to every surf now.......its been a good combo for me. Mostly the waves in SW WA are reasonable punchy even when small so the PNator works really well. Had a few good surfs on the PNator in hip to shoulder high crossshore/onshore wind waves.

Leave a comment:

• kdropin
    replied
    Originally posted by Fazza View Post
    KDropin,

Do you find that there is a bit of wave crossover with your 601 Razor and you 508 Dom?

I did exactly what you are thinking about doing....sold my 508 Dom and bought a 506 FST Potatonato. I found that there was a lot of crossover between all three boards and i was not riding the Dom at all. Anything 1-5ft gutless waves i surfed the PNator and anything else with a bit of punch i could surf the Razor. For me the optimal range for the Dom was shoulder to head high and anything a bit smaller it was not as fun as the PNator. I have surfed the PNator in hip to head high waves and had an absolute blast.

All 3 are fun and have their place so it is a hard call......you may find a bit of crossover between the Spud and PNator, but if the waves have a bit more of a takeoff the PNator can handle the drop well.
    funny thing is i havent ridden the razor yet! waves have been weak and terrible and i had a broken finger for what seemed like forever it wouldn't heal.. anyways i surfed the dom the other day and waist plus weak swell (as we usually get here on the east coast usa) and was wishing i had my spud which i didn't bring.. but it got me thinking that the dom really has lost its spot in my quiver now that i have the razor from what i've been hearing can handle stomach+ as long as it has punch.. my friend surfed his nator and loved how it went in said conditions.
    i was thinking if i had a nator in a 5'8 would be so much better for the waist/stomach/chest conditions that are 7sec period weak waves. it b the same size as my current dom but would work better in the weaker wave.. 5'6 might be too small for the weak stuff.. i like my spud in the really small stuff. the dom just didn't want to go at all the other day and was frustrated.
    its a tough call for now i might just bring my spud/razor combo to every surf and c how it goes.. money's a lil tight

Leave a comment:

• benny81
    replied
    Yeah my ELF is just collecting dust these days, dont think i'd use it again untill I went on a trip somewhere with good waves. I dont need a good wave board either as we dont get good waves. So PN for me covers a lot of conditions

Leave a comment:

• Fazza
    replied
    KDropin,

Do you find that there is a bit of wave crossover with your 601 Razor and you 508 Dom?

I did exactly what you are thinking about doing....sold my 508 Dom and bought a 506 FST Potatonato. I found that there was a lot of crossover between all three boards and i was not riding the Dom at all. Anything 1-5ft gutless waves i surfed the PNator and anything else with a bit of punch i could surf the Razor. For me the optimal range for the Dom was shoulder to head high and anything a bit smaller it was not as fun as the PNator. I have surfed the PNator in hip to head high waves and had an absolute blast.

All 3 are fun and have their place so it is a hard call......you may find a bit of crossover between the Spud and PNator, but if the waves have a bit more of a takeoff the PNator can handle the drop well.

Leave a comment:

• kdropin
    replied
    man i;m thinking about selling my dom for a 5'8 nator

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    Wave flat today so I did not have the chance to try the 5'6" potatonator.
    I'm expecting the RF to be a bit stiffer in the sense that the input-output will be more direct. Also the RF will be lighter than the FST. In my case I appreciate the extra weight

Leave a comment:

• benny81
    replied
    Originally posted by iggy View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]856[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]857[/ATTACH]

3hrs sesh on the new potatonator 5'8".Board freshly waxed before starting and well, looks like it will need rewax.
    First impression you feel the extra volume right away while paddling and sitting on it, but its so well distributed that it does not interfere at all once on the wave. Rails seem massive and tail wide,to as much as I thought, which helps a lot on weaker waves.
    This board sits perfectly in between the spitfire and the potato.
    Went first in the water with a set of SOLUS. Conditions today were pretty weak on our wave. Wave pretty green and not too steep. First off the bat that wide tail makes it sit on the flat water pretty nicely. You feel right away the benefits of the extra foam on weaker days. First wave down the line of to a roundhouse throwing quite bit of water (on the weaker wave), BAM!!! right back in. Despite the bigger tail, that V off the tail mixed with the "hatchet" of the SOLUS makes it pretty maneuverable allowing to fit nice little snaps in really tight spaces. A set I will use on fun runny be achy waves. Would want a bit more drive and hold on bigger conditions. Couple of waves and switched for the ELEVONS
    Now these ELEVONS are all about speed and drive. Right off the bottom turn and it's like you stepped on the gas pedal of a car. Tons of control and nice arcs. Lines are not drawn as tight as the SOLUS but still close. These will go on any wave where speed is needed to go through sections.
    Is to be note as well that like its cousin the potato, this board needs to be surfed with the back foot all the way back the tail pad. The beauty of it is that the wider tail is complemented with a V off the tail so maneuverability does not suffer, having a superb small wave performer.
    Will surf this thing on anything between 2-4ft not too hollow, guaranteed enjoyment. Happy I went with the 5'8". Tomorrow I'll jump on the 5'6" RF but the extra foam of the 5'8" does not get on the way at all.
    Can't wait for tomorrow to take it back again!!!.Now fun time is over...back to work to make some more pesos like this I can get more toys!!!!!;)

Hey Iggy

How did you get on with the RF version? Did it feel much different?

Leave a comment:

• benny81
    replied
    Yep super fun board! Cant wait to get some SA2 Quads for mine.

Wouldn't mind trying out a 5'10 in the weaker waves, especially if it still performs well.

Surfed mine today but twanged my back and cut my foot on the groynes so getting dosed up incase of waves first thing tomorrow! Other than that it was fun in very bad waves.

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    IMG_7577.jpgIMG_7578.jpg

3hrs sesh on the new potatonator 5'8".Board freshly waxed before starting and well, looks like it will need rewax.
    First impression you feel the extra volume right away while paddling and sitting on it, but its so well distributed that it does not interfere at all once on the wave. Rails seem massive and tail wide,to as much as I thought, which helps a lot on weaker waves.
    This board sits perfectly in between the spitfire and the potato.
    Went first in the water with a set of SOLUS. Conditions today were pretty weak on our wave. Wave pretty green and not too steep. First off the bat that wide tail makes it sit on the flat water pretty nicely. You feel right away the benefits of the extra foam on weaker days. First wave down the line of to a roundhouse throwing quite bit of water (on the weaker wave), BAM!!! right back in. Despite the bigger tail, that V off the tail mixed with the "hatchet" of the SOLUS makes it pretty maneuverable allowing to fit nice little snaps in really tight spaces. A set I will use on fun runny be achy waves. Would want a bit more drive and hold on bigger conditions. Couple of waves and switched for the ELEVONS
    Now these ELEVONS are all about speed and drive. Right off the bottom turn and it's like you stepped on the gas pedal of a car. Tons of control and nice arcs. Lines are not drawn as tight as the SOLUS but still close. These will go on any wave where speed is needed to go through sections.
    Is to be note as well that like its cousin the potato, this board needs to be surfed with the back foot all the way back the tail pad. The beauty of it is that the wider tail is complemented with a V off the tail so maneuverability does not suffer, having a superb small wave performer.
    Will surf this thing on anything between 2-4ft not too hollow, guaranteed enjoyment. Happy I went with the 5'8". Tomorrow I'll jump on the 5'6" RF but the extra foam of the 5'8" does not get on the way at all.
    Can't wait for tomorrow to take it back again!!!.Now fun time is over...back to work to make some more pesos like this I can get more toys!!!!!;)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X