Potatonator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris,
    You mentioned the PN going well in small, steep east coast waves. As you know, these waves are pretty common here in NJ. These are the exact waves that I struggle with a bit. Soft and small the Potato surfs very well for me but it struggles to handle the drop on the 2-3 foot steep and fast walls we get on the east swells that blow up on the sand bars. This weekend was one of those days, 2-4 foot and fast. I actually took out my 6'2 king fish and it went very well as usual. Just angle it and fly down the line. But, i'd like to progress away from my fish, plus, the drops were still a bit sketchy. I should have taken out my 6'2 dominator but during the winter I don't surf as much, i usually put on a few winter pounds and I have alot of rubber on so I feel a bit more comfortable with a higher volume, wider board. Why would the PN work well in waves such as these?Should I stay with my quiver and just commit to surfing the dominator in 2-4 foot waves, or pull the trigger on the 6'0 PN, or is there another better option (el fuego, Addvance, baked potator quad fish) for me ? I'm realizing I may never be a progressive short boarder in smaller waves but I'd like to find an alternative to my fish. Unfortunately, I don't think the dominator is the answer. Don't get me wrong, It has allowed me to do great things in better, bigger waves so I refuse to part with it. To be honest with you I bought the dom to help me surf shoulder high high + waves and it delivered completely. Slow and small the potato has just rocked. Just need that final piece to really make those smaller, faster, steeper sessions fun. To be honest with you, I'd end up surfing the potato and what ever I buy 80% of the time here on the east coast so It would end up being a good investment.( With beach replenishment and alot of east, ese swells, it seems like every time I surf it's either 1-3 foot and mushy or 2-4 foot and punchy). Plus I'm single so right now I can throw so money out the window. Better take advantage of it now I guess. Any feedback will be appreciated. Every FW purchase has been spot on so I know whatever I buy will rip. Thanks.

Comment

Hey Chris any thoughts on potatonator availability around Maine?

Comment

Bumper,
        Mate, the Potatonator is exactly what it says it is.
        It's a cross between a dominator and sweet potato which you have both of.
        The dominator nose married to a sweet potato tail which has been on a bit of a diet. look at the deck pictures I posted...still got that sweet potato step deck too.
        It will do the job it's just a matter of sizing correctly.

Comment

yeah I'm definitely going to pick one up soon. I took my potato out sunday in thigh to waist high waves and it surfed so well. It just flew down the line and I threw a couple of cutbacks, something i've never done in small waves before. It's amazing how much this board has helped me progress. I love how it rides. Likewise, I love how my dominator surfs when the waves have some size and power. Both have done wonders for my surfing in the past two years. I figure the pnator will give me the same stoke factor in medium size waves. Just want to make sure there isn't a better alternative for the waves I surf here. It can be so inconsistent and crappy. I'm pretty much sold on the pnator though. Can't wait to put down the credit card in a month or two.

Comment

I've been having a blast on mine.
            I'm just waiting for some others to chime in who've got one to hear their ride reports.
            Mine is a barrel of fun.
            Surfing my local point at 3-4' today and as the tide dropped and the waves hollowed out the P'nator just went better and faster.

Comment

Good to hear Cuttles, the waves should be OK for the next few days now that Southerly has pushed through. Which fins have you been using?
              I went to Firewire today and had a fondle of a PNator.............I am hanging out for the Baked Potato tho (I know that would leave the Sweet P redundant, doubling up etc). But the 5'5 at 36 litres excites me. I can't help wondering how the refined Baked P would go vs the PNator in head high clean beachies, (OK the PNator better on the points cause of the length).....hey, just putting it out there, that little sucker looks like it could draw some crazy lines.

Oh, The reason why I didnt demo a PNator is that they only had a 5'4.......dont worry I left my number:)

Comment

Great feedback cuttles. I guess thats exactly what i wanted to know. I know the pnator will go well in softer wavea but it looks like it will hold its own when it gets hollow and a bit steeper in 3 to 5 foot. How does the nose rocker compare to other hybrids and fishes? It seems like there is enough when the waves back a bit of punch.

Comment

Yeah guys, i actually think at head hight the potatonator is going to be better all the way. It has a smaller tail so you are able to maneuver a little more aggressively with greater control at higher speeds.

Looking at it from a quiver standpoint, I think the potato and the baked potato would exclude one another while I can envision a quiver with the potato/baked potato and a potatonator.

Cheers!

Comment

Im sold. Ill be buying one soon. Just have to wait till i pay off a few bills. It sounds like a small fifth fin will help out in hollowier conditions. Cant wait.

Comment

yeah the 5th fin is fun. It does slow the board down a bit so in the small stuff, no need, but give yourself a little more wall and the 5th fin helps tie up loose ends so to speak...

Comment

Because you're getting in early due to the floatation and wider tail helping it get on plane earlier late take offs have not been any kind of issue for me on my forehand.
                        I think the v in the nose helps as well.
                        It's a flat nose but so does the dom.
                        The only issue I've had is taking off on a pitching left (backhand) with thrusters fins and the board took off so fast as I got to my feet it literally had me fall off backwards on my arse.
                        Definitely wasn't expecting it and was planning to drop down the face and crank a big bottom turn instead. LOL!
                        The P'nator's a great board. I'm sure that Firewire and going to sell a lot of them.
                        Right now I don't see anyone else with one out in the water.

Comment

Cuttlefish,

I still have not had a chance to surf mine as there has been some good swell around in SW OZ so my new Hellrazor has been getting a good workout.

I hope to take it out for a spin next week sometime when the swell drops off a bit.....can't wait.

Comment

My Potatonator will be in tomorrow or early next week, I gotta ride this potatonator, ahhgghghghhhH!

Comment

yewwwww!!!!

Comment

It's a fun one!

Comment

Working...
                                X