Futures fins for new Nano

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Futures fins for new Nano

Hi everyone, just got a brand new 5'8 nano with Futures. I've got some Ando Signuture black stixs really good fins to try. Looking at two other fin sets the new large Captain co Dan reynolds signature fins witch is similar to the AM2 but is slightly more upright with a fuller tip. And the new large Jamie O'Brien signature 3D fins that are released this week. Some Future fin recommendations would be awesome. What's been your magic future fins in your Nano? Cheers
    Last edited by Fitchy; 10-09-2016, 12:28 AM.

I've tried a few different fins on my 5'8 Nano. It's a great board and I find I'm always drawn back to it even though I do have a Evo and recently a Omni. The K2.1 Thruster set seem to be my favourite at the moment, and I'm sure the Kommunity Fins K2.0 are identical. I also had some fun with this board with a set of H3's (not sure what might be a Futures equilivant) as a Thruster, and as a Quad when it was smaller. Enjoy the Nano, I feel it's an under-rated board with all the hype surrounding the new Tomo/Slater designs

Comment

Cheers Twiggy for the advice much appreciated. I was lucky to find this new nano as its not in the firewire line anymore. Looking forward to compare the Nano to my XTR Evo.

Comment

I'm with the firewire fins. Tons of hold on the face and quick directional change in turns and at the lip. One of the best boards I have. Use it as thruster. As quad it has A LOT of speed but it becomes to loos. An underrated fin to an underrated board. Didn't try other fins, never found a reason why.

Comment

Waves have been small for over a month on the Gold Coast So haven't ridden my new Nano yet spewing.

Comment

As a bigger dude (200-205lbs) I haven't yet found a Futures fin that has worked better in my 6'2" and 6'0 Nanos than the BlackStix F8. I'm about to try the Simon Anderson SA4 set in my 6'0 to see how the Nano goes as a quad for me, but San Diego is mired in a brutal flat spell (in December!). Will update if there is anything to them.

Comment

Running the Large Creed Mc Taggart Captain co fins in my Nano and it's taken my Nano to the next level absolutely loving this fin it's the perfect size fin. found the AM2 fins to big in the Nano sense Riding Creeds fins. They are bigger then a AM1 but smaller then a AM2 so it's a medium to large fin. Creeds fins have great drive and release I feel I can over power them more then the AM2, so my turns feel way better. Really enjoying the Nano it's a super fun playfull board so stoked.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Fitchy; 01-21-2017, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Hey Fitchy is that one of your Nano's on Gumtree?
                Where have you been riding your Nano lately? Dbah?

I'm still playing around with fins on mine... haven't really worked it out yet, but mostly think it's due to weak waves not really suited for it ;)
                Last edited by iFX.64; 01-22-2017, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Yeah IFX.64 that's one of my nano's not to worried if I don't sell it just put it up to see how it goes. I surfed 25th ave Palm beach today, had some fun waves and my Nano went well. Also been surfing south straddie with my mate to get some better shaped waves then the shitty waves on the coast at times. South straddie is such a sick wave. Nano is like the Evo if it's 2ft with shape they both go well but if it's 2ft and fat not so good. My captain co Creed Mc Taggarts work so good in the Nano and won't come out.

Comment

Cool, I'd love to go to straddie, but I'm a bit restricted timewise at the moment, plus don't like doing the seaway paddle in the dark ;) (only time I can go these days)

​I was at the alley yesterday morning... had some nice sets coming through, though got too crowded really quick, so paddled down to Laceys where there were only a couple other guys at the time... wasn't too bad, but took my bigger VG out at the last minute rather than my Nano, since it was looking smaller than I'd hoped from the carpark... once I was out though, it was actually better than it looked, so I was thinking the Nano would have been ok.

Are there any conditions you've found it to go better as a quad?

I've been riding it as a quad and quad with Darc Drive... found it to go better with smaller fins too (unlike the VG or V4). I haven't tried it as a thruster yet since it's just been small and I remember with the first Nano I had about a year ago, it was the first board I preferred as a quad... but I'll keep trying different fins (as well as thruster - specially if I get it in some decent sized waves) til I find the perfect combo. I still have a few I haven't tried it with and it might be different to the Nano I had before as it's a size smaller. But I'll keep an eye out for a set of those Mc Taggart's too... I need a few more decent thruster sets as I'm getting sick of swapping my favourites between boards ;)
                    Last edited by iFX.64; 01-22-2017, 08:37 AM.

Comment

I actually don't ride quads and don't change my fins to much because I like to keep my fins and boxes nice and tight, if you change them to much fins start to get wobble. I like to ride non carbon honeycomb, medium flex, balanced alround fins, because they suit a wide range of conditions and don't have to change fins.. I like wider base and thinner tip fins more then a performer type template with a thicker tip.
                      Last edited by Fitchy; 01-24-2017, 01:55 AM.

Comment

My quiver is only the Nano ha ha I sould be getting a flatter rocker board for smaller days I'll keep a eye out on gumtree but the Nano actually goes ok in smaller waves as long if the waves have a pocket and its not to fat.. I do like the rocker in the Nano for the tight turning ability. Looking foward to the new FW models in FST coming out in 2017. I would like another Evo for small days but don't really won't TT or LFT, I would really like to try the Vader one day for its high performance turning ability.
                        Last edited by Fitchy; 01-22-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Hey Fitchy what's your new board that uses FCS2?

I'm thinking about buying your Creed Mc Taggarts for my Nano... you still got your Nano?
                          Last edited by iFX.64; 03-01-2017, 03:51 AM.

Comment

I haven't ridden the Nano much, since every time I took it out I found myself wishing I'd taken out one of my other boards (V4, VG etc) ... so I finally decided to sell the Nano... also partly because it's a little oversized at 5'6 (compared to my 5'8 V4 and 5'4 VG).

I oversized it hoping the 5'6 Nano would grovel as well as the 5'6 VG I used to have, but it didn't seem to - probably due to the increased rocker in the Nano... but anyway, my point is, I took it out this morning for one last surf... but this time I thought I'd try something completely different and threw in a couple K2 twin keels - and for the first time absolutely loved them (tried them in other boards but didn't like them at all) ... The Nano as a twin with the K2s was so much fun I've decided I'll have to keep it now ;)

Comment

Working...
                            X