Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hellfire or Spitfire (215lb, oahu east side)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hammerschmidt
    started a topic Hellfire or Spitfire (215lb, oahu east side)

Hellfire or Spitfire (215lb, oahu east side)

Looking for some words of wisdom...I’m interested in getting a board between my current 6’6” alternator (36L) and my 6’10” tuflite quad rusty piranha (48L). I weigh 215lbs (98kgs), 6’0” tall. I’m very fit, I don't have much weight to lose. So I surf mostly east side of oahu and south shore in summer. My 6’10” piranha has been my go to board because it catches everything. I rarely surf the 6’6” alternator, but when I do it’s a mix of elation and disappointment. Disappointment on those days when I’m not catching many waves and get noodle arms too quickly, and elation on those nice wave days when I catch waves with steep faces and turn on a dime! It’s like a rice rocket compared to my big piranha. But I really think the 6'6" alternator is a bit too small.

The piranha however is too much board, I’m progressing away from just cruising down the line aspect and want to cut hard and try to throw small buckets. The piranha is also a problem in heavy surf on the inside, it doesn’t duck dive! So I’m thinking Spitfire 6’4” (41.5 L) or Hellfire 6’6” (39.7 L). I would like this Spitfire or Hellfire to be my 95% board, east side onshore storm surf, clean steep surf, chest high up to 4’ overhead. Also I’m in hot pursuit for my first barrels. Any recommendations/suggestions? Mahalo.

6’0” tall, 215lbs, intermediate skills, 36yrs old, 5 years surfing, 6’6” ALT, 6’10” Tuflite Rusty Piranha.

• Superfreak
    replied
    Hammer, I felt the same way until I rode a 604 spitfire. Im 510 200 lbs and the SF totally changed my surfing. I used to always be middle of the pack but on the SF I am typically one of the top guys in the water. Previously, I had stopped surfing for a number of years due to frustration with my lack of progression but now that I'm riding the SF I am having a blast. Very fast paddler, super easy to get into waves and very stable down the line. Very crisp turns. I keep looking around for a hellfire but then I have these sick sessions where I'm stoked out of my mind and I think, "why would I ever wanna ride something else?" I know I'm riding my SF with a little more volume that most would recommend but I wanted a board I would never have to think "dang, if I had a little more volume I would have caught that!"

Leave a comment:

• Fritzkat
    replied
    Hammer, Sell the 6-10 Rusty Pirahna and get the 6-3 or 6-5 Activator. Youll thank me later... see if they have them downtown yet at alamoana

Leave a comment:

• buzzy
    replied
    True enough. An extra two sessions a week will do far more for our surfing than new fins or a different board.

I'm trying yoga for the first time - did my first session yesterday. I'm hoping it'll help me develop extra flexibility and core strength, and I think it will. I had a sad realisation on how bad my core strength was in yesterday's session - that's what comes from only doing surfing and lifting and carrying a two year old for exercise.

This time of the year (in Oz) my surfing drops down to 2 surfs a week with an occasional mid-week jaunt. It's impossible to get an after work surf in at this time of year and really hard to get in a before work early as well. Basically a mid week surf comes from skiving off work by arriving late or leaving early.

Leave a comment:

• hammerschmidt
    replied
    Thanks Fritzkat. I've decided to hold off on another firewire purchase. I'm sticking with my 6'10" Rusty Piranha and my 6'6" Alternator (which doesn't get much use) for now. I was hoping that a new board could make me a better surfer but I've come back to earth and realize that it's 95% surfer and 5% board, as I've been seeing amazing performances on boards such as Costco's Wave Storm, Hand Made Alaia's, and didn't Kelly Slater surf a wooden door from Home Depot once...?? Hahahhaha. I have to lay off the malasadas at work too, maybe when I hit a lower target weight, then I'll be ready to buy!!!

Leave a comment:

• Fritzkat
    replied
    Hammer, If you surf Goat Island alot. the 6-4HF is a good choice, enough foam under you yet easy to duck dive. I felt the same way looking at the 6-6 HF, I felt it would be trouble duck diving it.
    You weigh 15 pounds more than I, So I cannot say your going to paddle it easier. Comparitively the Dominator is a cruise to paddle into anything, the Hell Fire paddles well, but just a slight more effort due to a slight more rocker.
    the 6-4 HF flies and after having it out 4 times I am just learning to experiment on which fins to use with it. so far tri fin all around and on my backside and any tight bowl barrels. Quad fin for front side fast down the line points.
    I go from 4.4" fins to 4.79" fins depending on the size of the face and steepness.

I judge my boards on how predictable and stable they are in doing any manuver I am capable of doing without falling off or digging a rail.

Leave a comment:

• core personal training
    replied
    thanks chris, that's how i was thinking of it...good to confirm...last 2 questions, is the rail-line rocker the same too, or lower??..probably just looks lower to me in the vid with the fuller foil....and have you got the nose/tail dims??...thats all..i promise..!!....gambling on the thicker 602 as i want it NOW..and dont want to wait for the thinner version...i'm worse than my kids..!!

another thread hijack brought to you by the good people at core industries.... :O)

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    i actually don't have access to retail models of the Michel board.

rail volume is a bit thicker than the flexfire and Taj, but by no means are they super full, comparable to the Alternator. The extra volume gets tucked under your feet and is also partially accounted for by the increased widths (middle, nose, tai) when compared to a FFE, FTJ. Rails are everything you would want in a high performance board.

The board is based on the Taj centerline rocker, but the added width/volume makes the board paddle a little bit more easily. perfect daily driver....

Leave a comment:

• core personal training
    replied
    i'm off the turps these days but 1 dollar cheeseburgers and coffee McFrappe's are doing me in...!!.... any joy on a couple of MB pics yet???...rail volume particularly to compare against alt and my thicker flexy..and is it the taj rocker??...sorry to hassle mate...!!

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    ha no longer a greyhound. i like my heavily malted brews with a brush of hops as much as the next guy...

Leave a comment:

• core personal training
    replied
    only for greyhounds like you chris...!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    back footed during maneuvers for sure, but i think it loads up with speed as you put a bit of weight on your front foot.

Leave a comment:

• core personal training
    replied
    oh and phill is right...this is a back foot board if you ride it small enough....

Leave a comment:

• core personal training
    replied
    yeah mate if you ride a 66 alt then you need to drop down on the HF...probably more than one notch too ...you should be riding it as small as you can go...i ride a 510 and i'm 6ft and 90kg+ at the moment...

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    Dropping a size could be the ticket, but it really sounds like the Hellfire goes when you get your weight over your back foot. Id really try to keep that in mind when using the HF.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X