• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I like that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by core personal training View Post
      actually save it towards a hellrazor
      Bingo!

After surfing the 6'2 Hellfire even though slightly less volume than the 6'0 dom there is plenty and it seems to paddle and catch waves as easily. It was 3' onshore but a couple of rip bowls to be had - the thing hoots along on anything with a pocket, tons of speed, floats well over broken water and quicker off the top than the dom - just in the few waves I had. I feel like I know this board already, feels and surfs like a cross between my old Webber Afterburner and a single to double concave bat tail I have but looser. Can't wait to try it in good waves.
      Last edited by Slowman; 01-28-2012, 03:06 AM.

Comment

good stuff mate...wait till you get it in head high or over glass...far out, its the closest we will get to bare foot surfing..total slippery freedom

Comment

hawaiian surfer

Originally posted by hanaleisurfer View Post
          Thats food for thought Chris!! Maybe the Hellfire can be tweaked with a step up version?? Seriously I was really surprised how well the board handled decent sized Hanalei bay, a wave that once it starts getting in the overhead plus mark, can really be a down the line freight train!! FritzKat, sorry to hear that swell didnt wrap into Kona. I know it takes a good strong west swell to get in there. Hopefully you can get that Hellfire in some juice soon. Waves have been going off here on Kauai, so I have been putting on some mileage on my 6 6 Hellfire. At your weight Fritzkat, the 6 4 should be just perfect. I am hovering around the 215 mark, so the 6 4 would have worked for me, but I am a slow paddler!!
          Wus yo height and weight? i just ordered a 6'6 hellfire and i live oahu. i am about 5'10 195, but i like da paddle of bigger boards too even tho i got frenz telling me to go smaller. wat kind of fins u use. i ordered it wit futures. i kinda wanted a step up from my 6'8 surftech predator. i surf 3ft Hawaiian + mostly surf East side spots and north shore secret spots. mahalo, g

Comment

Howzit gkekoa! Im 510 and about 215. You probably could have gone with the 6 4 Hellfire, but the 6 6 should be fine. Im at that border line weight where I could have gone with the 6 4, but wanted the extra paddling of the 6 6. The hellfire likes big fins, especially for guys our weight. You should look at at Panchos, AM2 or Simon Anderson fins.

Comment

good fin choices there

Comment

surfed the hellfire in overhead waves on Sunday it handled it great, better hold than the dom for sure, able to push it off the top and pretty much anywhere on the face, never felt like it was going to pop out.

Comment

good feed back there Slowman

Comment

I tried a the futures Simon andersons futures blue quad set (1st time wit da quads) in 3-4 HI windy surf. i kinda liked da hellfire in wit da quads i was flying past sections and da turns were alright. it didnt handle da drops too well in the dumpy surf. anybody wanna comment on this, i went to a surf shop to chek out da 6'4 hellfire cuz the 6'6 does seem kinda big for me they had both the fst and rf. brah i was tripping out but da fst is thicker all around, heavier and stiffer. da rf bottom seems softer when i squeeze it and is thinner, even the guy at da shop was tripping out. IS that a difference between the two technologies? They say they are the same dimensions but there was a noticeable difference. anyone cheked dat out?

Comment

The chances are if the hellfire didn't handle the drops then nothing else would either and it was really a reflection of the conditions. I find my HF handles the drop beautifully, better than the dom or spitfire, gets to the bottom faster and then bottom turns as hard as I want. I've had it out in almost double overhead and it handles like a dream. After 40 years of surfing I don't think I've had a board that paddles in and takes the drop as nicely. A couple have been close maybe as good but not better.

I also ride mine as a quad with Rusty R2 quads and a very tiny stabiliser fin, much smaller than the knubster in height but similar length. I took the HF out in 3-4' waves yesterday in onshore conditions and it still went very well and handled the drops no problem.

Comment

dont ride the HF too long...its meant to be short...then it fits in any wave no problems..

Comment

Slowman, you should do a write up of the Hellfire vs. the Spitfire vs. the Dominator, would love to hear your thoughts on that?

Comment

Me too!

Comment

Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
                              Slowman, you should do a write up of the Hellfire vs. the Spitfire vs. the Dominator, would love to hear your thoughts on that?
                              Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                              Me too!
                              By popular demand and after only 3 surfs on the Spitfire I think I can cover this.

Spitfire v Dominator

Today's surf was small occasionally shapely waist high to chest high waves. The spit went very well and I had a lot of fun on it. At this size there isn't really too much difference to be felt between the spitfire and the dominator. The spitfire will do a mid face hack a little better and maybe it comes off the bottom a little better in as much as you can go a bit more vertical (maybe). Reos and floaters feel about the same really in this size surf. The differences I think are going to be amplified with size and power where you will notice the extra performance more so. The 1 overhead day I had on it, it really felt good with the extra bite in the tail. Once on the wave it felt a little like the hellfire but it still felt like the dominator on take off because of the flatter rocker.

Spitfire v Dominator v Hellfire

The Spitfire and the Dominator are boards that basically compete over the same turf. It's really a preference of one over the other depending on your tastes, style and maybe even ability. A bit like buying the car with a turbo, if you are not going to drive fast it will never get used or noticed. While the spitfire offers something extra over the dominator they are still very similar. Now the Hellfire is a different story. It really is in another league. It is meant for better waves and a bigger size range. It covers different territory. Again it can still surf waist high waves that have some shape but once above chest height its performance leaves the dominator and spitfire for dead. The extra rocker, combined with the plan shape just makes this board drop into steep waves and turn anywhere you want on them like magic. Added to this, the single to double concave helps this board accelerate off the bottom and give it speed to burn and the tail gives it some nice control at speed. I've written more on the Hellfire in the Hellfire Reviews thread if you want specific details. But as a comparison the Hellfire is quite different to the Spitfire and Dominator, which are fairly similar.
                              Last edited by Slowman; 03-16-2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

great stuff slow man!

Comment

Working...
                                X