One bosrd for everything-hellfire???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tangotubes
    started a topic One bosrd for everything-hellfire???

One bosrd for everything-hellfire???

Hello everybody!

After reading in this forum for quite a while i would ask you
    Guys for a little help. I live in the middle of europe and unfortunately surf only on holidays (2 months a year) travelling is a must - so the north atlantic (canaries, portugal, morocco) is my place.
    I want to travel with only one board and the usual wave height is 1-3 m (mostly powerfull)
    Is the hellfire in size 6.6 with 39.7 l the right board for me?

I am 6.3 tall, 88 kg, and 41 years old (or young:-) average shape but stoked about surfing for 17 years.

Thanks for your help!

Oli

One more thing: i was used to surf a 6.2 quadfish the last years but i struggle when waves get over head high. Surfstyle is more carving down the line with no tricks....
    Last edited by Tangotubes; 03-13-2013, 03:43 AM.

• Tangotubes
    replied
    Lucky man:-)
    Finally i decided for the 6.6 hellfire.
    Just to be on the safe side. But i will wait for the technograin version. Wood is so nice. Hope they come out soon.
    Does anybody have xperience with technograin yet?

Leave a comment:

• core personal training
    replied
    Originally posted by Tangotubes View Post
    by the way: are you getting paid by nev?
    i've been fortunate enough to have Nev take the time since the 80's to refine my boards and always have me on the right equipment...i happily return the favour by giving my time on here...not that i'm an expert or anything...but if anyone wants to know how to gumby the take off then i'm ya man..!!
    Last edited by core personal training; 03-17-2013, 03:18 AM. Reason: kant spel goode

Leave a comment:

• core personal training
    replied
    Originally posted by Tangotubes View Post
    I looked up "deviant":

So a deviant fin is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBczGgww28M

Leave a comment:

• Tangotubes
    replied
    I looked up "deviant":

de·vi·ant [dee-vee-uhnt] Show IPA
    adjective
    deviating or departing from the norm; characterized by deviation: deviant social behavior.
    noun
    a person or thing that deviates or departs markedly from the accepted norm.

So a deviant fin is?

Leave a comment:

• Tangotubes
    replied
    Thanks core!
    That was a really usefull hint:-) by the way: are you getting paid by nev? - just joking, i love his boards too.
    The first new surfboard i bought back in 1997 in biarritz was a 6,10 ripcurl shaped by nev. (Still have it and Love the sticks since then:-)

Oli

Leave a comment:

• core personal training
    replied
    how did i miss a HELLFIRE thread...!!!!!... the hellfire magic comes from riding it so small it dissappears under your feet.. i have ridden my 510 at 95kg plus steamer..(when under volumed you WILL notice the wetsuit sinking you.....) .. if you ride high volume then its fine.... the hell fire is one board you can ride "too big" because the tail rail will still bite in juice for you...lots of guys ride it too big because of age, fitness, injury etc and can still shred on it...if you do ride a larger one then grab a "deviant fin" as well for when its weaker and it will still be a highly reactive board... cant go wrong with it... one of Nev's finest efforts..!!

THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE FIREWIRE/NEV HYMAN/HELLFIRE FAN CLUB.... HEAD SYCOPHANT SPEAKING...
    Last edited by core personal training; 03-17-2013, 01:15 AM. Reason: kant spel goode

Leave a comment:

• surferzach
    replied
    HAHA Buzzy! Well put...I lost 20lbs before this winter (keeping it off too) and I can tell a huge difference from the normal winter slothing lol.

Leave a comment:

• buzzy
    replied
    I reckon the bit of pud most of us put on over winter would be more significant than the effect of the wetty.

Leave a comment:

• Slowman
    replied
    Originally posted by luismx View Post
    Hey slowman! Hows much does a 3/2mm suit affect your float/volume decision making? Ive only ever used boardies and a t-shirt...but im off to portugak this summer and its a must to wear a wetsuit there. Should i over volume slightly or under? Ty
    It doesn't really. I don't notice any difference in the way a board goes when wearing a 3/2...just boardies always feels freer but everyone is wearing a wettie in winter so it's the same for everyone so neutral effect on wave count. Waves have a little more juice too.

As RobinL said I wouldn't be going for less volume because of a wetsuit - you might want to for other reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Tangotubes
    replied
    Hi luis!
    Check your potugal summer thread!

Leave a comment:

• luismx
    replied
    that was really helpful. its just like evey other decision made...one way has its ups and downs and vice versa....

Yea i currently ride a 6.4dom which is a bit coarky and floats me a boatload! im thinking 6.4(36.7L) or maybe even 6.2(33.7L) hellfire or even a 6.1 Unibrow(34.2L) but i guess that itll be more of a ''hold board and give it a good shake'' to make my final decision. all of these are +-6 liters and a wet suit ontop of that...I have absolutely NO idea what size to get... Hopefully I can demo the boards in Peniche....

Leave a comment:

• RobinL
    replied
    I'm no slowman but here in England I surf in a 5/4 with boots gloves and hood in the depths of winter, 3/2 in the peak warmth of summer and boardies and t-shirt when I am lucky enough to travel to warmer climes. So I use the whole range on a yearly basis.
    I have also surfed a fair few times in Portugal.

The key I think is to remember that wetsuits add weight but also float.

IMHO I would go with exactly the same dimensions for your boards especially if it is only a 3/2 you are going to wear.

Yes, the increased weight of wearing a suit (although v slight for a 3/2 these days) will make your board sit slightly lower in the water when you surf you will also float more when you come to ducking under waves. Portugese beach breaks can have decent power and so I would think the extra dig you can get in a rail on a turn and the ability to get under a wave better would make staying the same or going down in volume the best options.

As for going down in volume I think that if you have not surfed in a wetsuit much you will find it (even though suits are getting better and better) more restricting to your paddling power. So less volume and less paddle power may reduce your wave count.

Hope that's useful.

Leave a comment:

• luismx
    replied
    Hey slowman! Hows much does a 3/2mm suit affect your float/volume decision making? Ive only ever used boardies and a t-shirt...but im off to portugak this summer and its a must to wear a wetsuit there. Should i over volume slightly or under? Ty

Leave a comment:

• Slowman
    replied
    I'm 54 and 90kg and have a 6'2 as you can see. Mine goes fine in a 3/2 steamer. I would not describe myself as overly fit but after decades of swimming I think I have an efficient paddling technique and a good feel for the water. I know that a 6'4 will float you but perhaps check the volume calculator and see what it recommends too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X