Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually i tested a GB but was a longer length, like 6'4

Comment

Thought I'd update this, just took my 6' 4" GB out to Sri Lanka, had an absolute blast on it, it's making me a better surfer for sure. Got a tonne of waves, also took a 5' 10" Hypto but the waves didn't have much push so only tried it once.

I'd possibly go the 6' 6" if I was to buy one again, more waves but probably the same performance. Just ordered a TimberTek Evo in 5' 8" so hopefully improved enough for that.

Also despite saying earlier that I liked it as a thruster this thing goes great as a quad (medium performers), tail loosened up real nice and it became way more skatey.

Comment

Originally posted by apache View Post
        Jorgeags, as though there is wisdom in what pagey says I have gone too big on two Tomo mphs (vd, vg) regretting my chicken decisions. If you do ride 27 L on a normal shape - and if you don't want to go up in volume on purpose (e.g. for slop waves or to gain paddle power) you'll be better off to go 1-2 L smaller than you usual volume imho with the evo. That's a 5'2. It'll surely work in 5'3 though, especially for pure grovelling. For perspective. I'm after a 5'5 for my 195 pounds/88 very intermediate kg at 43 years (there was one for sale last week but someone else - a bad hombre for sure - grabbed it before me; think we need to built a wall).
        Right now I feel I can still try and go smaller, as paddling works fine, and the mphs have tremendous surface, once up they'll feel bigger. In 10-20 years I'll be buying 3-5 L more ;). In the end you'll have to try. Cheers !
        ​hey apache and pagey A fw distributor is selling me a 5'4 TT EVO at $550 usd with pad, regular price is $700, so seems a good deal, but not sure if it could be too much volume?, usually i ride 27 to 27.4 liters for a hybrid, the 5'4 EVO is 29 liters, would it be a good all rounder at that size/volume? I am intermediate, 5'4 height, 144lbs, 43 yrs old, and have no barrels where i live, if the chance comes to travel and surf them perhaps i would use a longer board with a narrow tail and nose probably, EVO would be for ocasional groveling (don't necesarily has to be a good groveler but would be a plus) and the main purpose is for it to work for average waves 2-6 feet, point breaks, reef breaks. I want to improve my turns, top to bottom attack, speed, catch more waves, etc.. i have no skills for aerials or anything radical and don't intend to start trying aerials at my age LOL.

Comment

Jorgeags, I would jump on that Evo deal! Don't stress over a couple of liters. An Evo at your own height will open up its range and catch waves like crazy. Can't beat the price too.

Comment

jorgeags would be very interested in hearing your feedback if you bought that Evo. I am in a similar situation, and am trying to decide between a 5'2 and 5'3 Evo. I usually surf 27-27.5l, but am thinking of going slightly less with a 5'2 Evo. Just don't want to undersize like I have with boards in the past..

I should add I'm 5'7 63kgs 35yo. Good fitness, but been surfing only 7 years, with some gaps.

Keeping things on topic, I also have a 5'8 Greedy Beaver, which I love. For me, this board catches waves like a dream. As long as the waves aren't too fast or sucky (I struggle on steeper drops on it), it's my go to. However as I'm surfing a lot more fast beachies lately, I want the Evo to replace my 27l Activator (basically a Dominator with a pulled in swallow tail).
            Last edited by Phase; 08-09-2017, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Hi Phase i did get the 5'4 EVO, i've only tested in very small surf, like 1-3 feet on a point break, and it did catch a lot of waves but felt a little overvolumed for turning, also on a couple that were faster and a little bigger on a beach break i went very fast during take off so even though i still want to try more fins and find the proper footing and havenīt made my decision yet to keep it or not but most likely like apache suggested it may be better on your regular volume or even one size less. I am thinking of selling it and perhaps get a 5'3 or even a 5'2, I still just want to give it a second try first as for now it seems good for groveler but like someone said there are better boards for groveling. SInce you are younger than me and a couple of kilos less maybe you should be good on the 5'2, it is a very stable board.

Comment

Originally posted by pagey View Post
                Jorgeags, I would jump on that Evo deal! Don't stress over a couple of liters. An Evo at your own height will open up its range and catch waves like crazy. Can't beat the price too.
                ​Pagey, i ended getting the 5'4, haven't had a chance to test it too much, just a couple of days on very small surf, worked pretty well but i need to find the footing, seems it is important due to the wide tail, i am expectant to see how it can work for me in waist to head high with a little more of power since it is quite fast

Comment

Good decision, jorgeags. If it works pretty well in very small surf, you are on the right track. Many people have said that it takes awhile to get the Evo dialed, so don't be discouraged about your footing. Soon everything will be automatic. What fins are you using?

Comment

Now moved to the coast (North Devon, UK) so getting in the water much more

STILL riding my Greedy Beaver, can't get off it, have a new 5' 8" Evo TT which can't wait to try out, just waiting for some better waves and to be a bit fitter.

Hats off to the Gb though, hands down the board I've stuck with the most, catches waves really well and still great fun

Comment

Someone would change an 6.6 add vance for a Greedy Beaver with a similar volume ... Which is more fun in the waves ....
                      Last edited by Paco C.; Today, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X