Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longboard Fin Setup

Hey FW crew,

I've noticed that a few of the 8' - 9' flexflights I've seen were built with a thruster fin setup instead of a 2+1. I was wondering what the FW shapers and all you longboarders think about riding a longboard shape with a thruster setup versus a typical 2+1 or single fin?

Also, while we're on the topic, what fin setups does everyone like in their flexflights and TJ's?

The thruster setup makes the 8' ers sooo lively!!!. I have a 9'0" 2+1 and tried it with an adapter for a thruster and it felt really loose
    On the tlexflight I had a 7 with small siebits with the center fin set close so it will give some movement to the tail

Comment

Maineiac,
      lots of people actually go that route. Its certainly better in certain conditions and it has its own performance and sensitivity so the best thing you can do is do some experimenting. Look for a looser, more playful ride when you have a thruster set in the board. But yeah, definitely give it a go!!

Cheers!

Comment

I use a 7.75" cutaway single fin plus QPX sidebites in my 9'2" non-Firewire longboard. I'm an even worse longboarder than shortboarder, but it seems like a good compromise between manoevreability and hold for nose riding. I set the single fin about half way up the fin box.

Comment

ha buzzy good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Maineiac View Post
            Hey FW crew,

I've noticed that a few of the 8' - 9' flexflights I've seen were built with a thruster fin setup instead of a 2+1. I was wondering what the FW shapers and all you longboarders think about riding a longboard shape with a thruster setup versus a typical 2+1 or single fin?

Also, while we're on the topic, what fin setups does everyone like in their flexflights and TJ's?

Hey Maineiac,

Posted a bit of info on this under "I F*cking Love my TJPro.... Check it out.

Basically: I personally love the Thruster set compared to the 2+1. Will never go back on my High Performance LB's. There is a time and place to switch it up but I rocked the FCS HI-1 (Harley Ingleby's $100 set; a lil pricey to experiment I know but...) for the first time at Upper Trestles and loved it. Lots of Drive! Let me repeat, lots of drive going on with these fins. But, if your looking for quick maneuverability, tight pocket speed etc... the Thruster seems to outperform the 2+1.
            When I do switch it up on this board i ride 6" center with PC-3 side bits (some have told me that they think the PC-3 set up is to "drivey" compared to "traditional PG-sides", so I guess I like it that way). Hope this helps.IMAG0271.jpg315068_285504161477489_100000537229693_1128292_2077920423_n.jpg

Comment

yeah Juslivin!!

Comment

You think the HI-1s are fun? They are. Try subbing the center fin out for a v2. Also, the MR-tx sides with a SA25 works really well.

Comment

Working...
                X