• Evo: thruster or quad? Poll & Fin Review

How are you mostly riding your Evo?
    Thruster
    39.29%
    Quad
    46.43%
    Both
    14.29%

I thought it was time for a poll on what fins and what configurations people are mostly riding in their Evos. I'm using FCS2 large performer thrusters. After my experience with my Vader (it really seems to go best as a thruster) I found the large performers had the same template as my favourite Rusty R2s and put them it and it has gone great right off the mark, so much so I don't feel the need to look further. Good drive and release and plenty of hold when needed. Though I suppose I'm curious to hear how people find them ridden as a quad.

Comment

Definitely worth having a play with the quad. Feels very very natural in this board. I think that it helps a lot when it's small. That said you do lose a bit of pivot because you fly out of your bottom turn but it's not a huge difference you kind of feel like you're flying all the time on this thing!

Comment

I'm using the new futures large lost mayhem 5 fin ride number 6.7. Good drive, good hold with the carbon runing right up the front of the fin, pivots well and a nice springy tip for release very impressed with this fin and will be staying on the evo. I will be trying the quad I've only ridden it as a truster and it's awesome.
        Last edited by Fitchy; 02-29-2016, 04:47 AM.

Comment

I'm a quad lover. I use the Tyler Warren quad fins: good speed but hard to control in overhead waves (tail slide), very fun in chest high waves. Maybe they are a little bit small for me (I weight 84 kg). I also tried Simon Anderson Large front fins and Tyler Warren rear fins: good drive but loose too much pivot. I don't think the EVO needs a large front fins and small rear fins, but a more balance set up. I want to tried the Mayheim GMB quad set up.

Comment

Currently using the orange performance core Medium AMs as a quad (they are too small for me as a thruster i find).
            About to trial large Carvers as a thruster....
            I'll vote in the poll after I have given the carvers a good run!

(86kg, 182cm and riding the 507)

Comment

Have since voted thruster, still getting ample (similar?) speed and drive but have gained heaps with turns. Staying with the thruster, but keen to trial using the smaller AM (medium) centre fin.

Comment

Ride both, and have a 6'0 and 5'11 (I'm 6'4/235 lbs). Once the board is up to speed it tracks too much for me as a quad, but a standard thruster is just not quite enough fin. Guy at the shop talked me into a set of MR twins with the stub trailer... loosens the board up considerably, and still has all the drive. worth a try if you can get your hands on them.

Comment

Ride my Vader with the s9 from shapers as thruster .... huge fins, doesn't feel like it in the water

Comment

I have the 5'4 Nano, 5'3 Vader which both fit me like a glove.

Got the EVO as a 5'3 because of the added winter wetsuit weight but for the most part, it feels almost two sizes two big while riding.

I ride both the Nano and Vader as thrusters and started with the same with the evo, The board hasn't been magic like the other two.

Recently switched to a quad and voila, it's starting to feel real good.

Now the disclaimer! It might go better as a thruster if I had scaled it properly like the other boards, but because it feels a bit big (classic signs...feet don't feel like they are always in the right position, lots of shuffling, etc. Move back to turn, move up for down the line speed)

But because the foot placement zones are a litte more vague and spread out, I think the quad is allowing me to surf it from less precise foot placement points on the board.

Comment

I mostly enjoy riding thruster setups on most of my boards. The other day, I figured I should change it up and put a quad set on my EVO. Large John Johns in front, MB quad fins in the rear. Holy moly, the board just went into another gear. Super fast and loose. Waves were a little wobbly due to an earlier on shore wind, but the board still felt great. Normally I don't like how quads feel on round house cutbacks, but this setup was magic. Cant wait to try it on really good high performance waves.

Comment

Update on my happy place:
                        Riding the Evo as thruster full time now, with Large front carver's and a rear medium AM.
                        Loving the pressure I can apply to the tail on the open face and still a bit of release there when wanted.

\nnn/

Comment

Originally posted by hanaleisurfer View Post
                          I mostly enjoy riding thruster setups on most of my boards. The other day, I figured I should change it up and put a quad set on my EVO. Large John Johns in front, MB quad fins in the rear. Holy moly, the board just went into another gear. Super fast and loose. Waves were a little wobbly due to an earlier on shore wind, but the board still felt great. Normally I don't like how quads feel on round house cutbacks, but this setup was magic. Cant wait to try it on really good high performance waves.
                          I should give the quad set up a go then. How was the vertical drive?

Comment

Definitely try the Quad.
                            I'm 6' & early 70kg with a few years on the clock.
                            Went 5'6 Evo, a little more, maybe 1 size up than some suggested, but it is the same litre as my Nano with I was having fun with as a Thruster.
                            Played with a number of fin combos with Evo but settled K2.1 fronts and some Small Performers as Quad rears.
                            Just didn't feel right with med Performers and even tried some med Carvers, both Thruster with & quad setups.
                            But with the K2.1this setup really seems just right for me and this board.
                            Even went back to some of the previous combos but returned to the K2.1 quad setup.
                            Funny thing though, I rode the Nano recently again in some good, not necessarily big waves.
                            After that surf I ended up trying a quad again, something must have clicked because it's been a fun board as a quad since.

Have ordered a Omni now, probably won't see it till end May at earliest & will be very interested to sort out this ones setup.
                            Watching with interest the ride reports as they come through.
                            Life's great in Paradise with my Tomo's

Comment

I tried it as a quad this morning, large performers up front and medium reactors at the rear, and it seemed stiffer and lacking drive. Could be the just the wrong combo because it had nothing. The conditions were less than ideal but once I stuck the large performer centre fin back in and removed the quad rears it felt better again. I was hoping for some more speed in the small grovel waves but it added nothing and felt stiff and flat when I tried turning it. I had a similar experience with my vader too, I could pump it much better to generate speed as a thruster because it was easier to release and pivot to start a new line.

I suppose it's a little bit like on a skate board, thrusters give you the ability to tic-tac and generate speed, where (GOOD) quads are more like reverse kingpin trucks that let you keep the wheels on the ground and do these wiggling carves that generate more speed. The problem is some boards as quads don't seem to, as the little turns don't do much to generate speed and they won't release because there is too much fin in the water so you have to finish the arc. The quads that I have that do work (spitfire and hellfire) will let me generate speed both ways carving into a turn and then release and pivot and pump or just keep doing little speed wiggles. As a thruster the Evo seems to give me both options too.

Comment

Working...
                              X