• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• algorhythm
    started a topic 6'6 Dominator Future Fins for 200lb / 90kg

6'6 Dominator Future Fins for 200lb / 90kg

Hello Firewire forum.

I just picked up a 6'6" dominator with future boxes and need to get some fins. I want to ride it as a quad but don't know exactly which fins to get.

I've been surfing for 1.5 years and was happily riding an older 7'6" flexflight thruster, then I demoed a dominator and was immediately convinced that I needed to buy one, so I got the 6'6" for a bit of extra float and mush power while I continue to learn.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone has an opinion about which quads are best, but I'm just looking for a set that will work in many conditions since I won't be changing them out too much. However, it might be nice to have the option of a thruster setup...

Can anyone recommend something suitable? FS4? FSA4?

What if I wanted to get a set of thruster fins too? Any recommendations?

Are 5 fin sets too much of a compromise?

Thanks in advance!

• Herzalot
    replied
    Originally posted by algorhythm View Post
    The Simon Anderson fins are larger than the medium Stretch set I was trying. The Simon Anderson fins feel like they hold better than the Stretch fins.
    Thanks for clarifying. I have the Stretch large, set up as a quad on my 604. I am taking her out for her maiden voyage in an hour in some pathetic - but uncharacteristically warm - surf. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• core personal training
    replied
    the simons are bigger and some of that is tip area rather than a massive base...because of this they work well in wider tails...just like they would of in his early thrusters.!!..they dont do so well in narrow tails with all that tip...for example, the opposite is the am2's which are larger again, but have most of it at the base and less in the tip, they are free and easy in narrow tails, but can lack a bit of drive in the wider tails.....i like tip area in my fins...its where i get my drive...so i use simons in wider tails and jc's in narrower tails..both templates have medium bases and fullish tips...its good to know what works for you...then go bigger or smaller as required....

Leave a comment:

• algorhythm
    replied
    Originally posted by Herzalot View Post
    Why do you like the SAs better than the Stretch? SAs are smaller? Larger? Were the Stretch large or medium?
    The Simon Anderson fins are larger than the medium Stretch set I was trying. The Simon Anderson fins feel like they hold better than the Stretch fins.

Leave a comment:

• Herzalot
    replied
    Originally posted by algorhythm View Post
    Finally reporting back... I definitely like the Simon Anderson quads better than the stretch quads. They seem to work better with my weight and are loose enough but also hold well. I've been riding them in waves anywhere from 2 to 6 feet, clean or mushy, and they're great. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who needs bigger fins.
    Why do you like the SAs better than the Stretch? SAs are smaller? Larger? Were the Stretch large or medium?

Leave a comment:

• algorhythm
    replied
    Finally reporting back... I definitely like the Simon Anderson quads better than the stretch quads. They seem to work better with my weight and are loose enough but also hold well. I've been riding them in waves anywhere from 2 to 6 feet, clean or mushy, and they're great. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who needs bigger fins.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    hey algorythm, i also think you might look at the Matt Biolos 5 fin set. good versatile set that will give you both a quad and thruster set in one pack. give those a whirl if you can...

Mikeyslice, I am only aware of 1 SF4 size....

Leave a comment:

• MikeySlice
    replied
    I think they make them in "L" Chance. There's so many fins out there it certainly gets overwhelming.

Leave a comment:

• Chance'um
    replied
    So are there two Stretch quad sets, seen them listed as "M" but my set said "L" on the package?

Leave a comment:

• MikeySlice
    replied
    Al - Yeah, let us know how you liked the fins. That board is really good in those conditions.

Leave a comment:

• core personal training
    replied
    i rode a 604 with fcs 7's in fourfin mode...my futures sa4's would of fitted well...but i'd rather go thruster...and ride a 508....6ft 90+/- kg's
    Last edited by core personal training; 04-09-2012, 09:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• algorhythm
    replied
    Originally posted by vowbeachbum View Post
    up to see what quad set u like best.im almost same height and weight and would like to know
    I'll report back in a week or two when I have a chance to try out a couple of sets. I'll probably try out the Simon Andersons and a set of Stretch quads. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    thanks for posting all that good info iggy

Leave a comment:

• vowbeachbum
    replied
    up to see what quad set u like best.im almost same height and weight and would like to know

Leave a comment:

• algorhythm
    replied
    Wow, this is excellent info. Thanks so much iggy. It really helps me figure out which fins to get. I want to get several different sets to feel the difference, but I think I might start with a set of Simon Anderson quads. Luckily my local shop has a fin tree, so perhaps I can demo some others instead of going into debt...

Mikey: 2-4ft mushy beach breaks mostly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X