X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mkg
    started a topic OK , So what's the "real deal"

OK , So what's the "real deal"

I don't want to start what apparently turned into a b!tch fest on the old forum but, whats the real deal with the de-lamination/crease issue or is there a " real " issue.

I know that dimpeling in the foot area is normal even on a 4 + 6 deck but delam and creasing is new to me . I haven't had a new board since clark went out of business so I'm intersted in the longevity of the new cores and glass durability.

I just put a deposit on a new dominator ( arbor Koa ) totally stoked then found the issues on the old forum and now less stoked and more worried . I don't want to pay a premium price and wind up with delamination / crease issues.

Like I said , I don't want to start a pissing contest but I'd like to know what the real scoop is before it's too late.

Mike

• iggy
    replied
    Yeah thanks buddy!!!! they do love back

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    thanks for the good words magnet.

Leave a comment:

• Magnet
    replied
    I've been riding FireWire for 3.5 years now in Nz, Fiji, indo. One of them (alt 6'8)doesnt even have a ding or dent and it's been thrashed !! Mostly fst just one rapid sweet potato. No delam issues, no breaks great boards - only complaint for me, is the bigger hybrids ( over say 6'4) would love to see rails a bit more foiled. The deck rail bevel on the sp seems to work great. Have put lots of mates onto FireWire and none have had issues. Like anything tho, treat em with love and they'll repay you in spades

Leave a comment:

• Fritzkat
    replied
    mkg, no delams in my firewire collection of 3 that is one year old now.

I have dinged them and got out of the water, dryed them out for 2 weeks before repair.

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    Words of wisdom Fritz!!!.Thanks

Leave a comment:

• surferireland
    replied
    Consistency of shape is awesome, also availability is great. Still love the durability of the FST construction.

Leave a comment:

• Fritzkat
    replied
    My take, I have see delams on all types of boards PU, EPS and firewire etc.. mostly because of a pressure ding caused by a surfing misshap. Also, leaving any board in the Sun or in a hot car/truck bed/ boardbag (yes even if it is in a protective bag, they get hot especially in direct sunlight.) any of them, all boards will cook and cause premature failure on the weakest points. Banging them up in big surf stress, doing arials, reentries, Even a car surf rack straps tightly bound against the any type surfboard will case stress on the contact points. No Board is indestructable and can survive all the torments. Why do you think the pro's all change their equiptment so often, going through as many as 20 to 30 boards a year. They cant afford to have one break during their heat after the pounding they give the boards. If you surf hard core everyday, your lucky to have a board last more than a season maybe 2.. then you are either doing repairs or moving on to a new board. I know regular non-pro surfers that go through 4 boards a year. I have been lucky to make my boards last 3 seasons and with repairs, as long as 11 years as long as I treat them right... I switched to firewire last January 2010 and changed my boards this year as I found the best shapes for myself in the conditions I surf and enjoy. Its been keeping me in the water longer catching more waves than ever before with the quiver I have chosen. The one thing about FIREWIRE I like is the consistancy of the design and technology, especially with the shapes rocker, rails and bottom contours. Are they more Pricey, you bet, about 40% more but 100% worth it. I have had custom PU's done and no way did the shaper replicate my last shape to my specifications. I ended up selling the boards after 5 sessions at a loss time and money.

Leave a comment:

• mkg
    replied
    Originally posted by buzzy View Post
    I use PC7's as a thruster on the same board at the same weight and like it. I have some controller type quads from Indo Fins which I still haven't tried out but if I get a 1-2 foot and mushy day over the next few days I'll use them and report. IO just got my stitches out and itching to get in a surf before I'm landlocked for a week over Xmas in Melbourne Australia.
    Buzzy , I would love to visit Austrailia some day . When and if I ever make a bucket list Austrailia would be #1 and #2 .

#1). Snorkel GBR , I've always wanted to do that.
    #2). Grander Black Marlin release .

Funny thing is I grew up in a small town on the east coast of Florida called Melbourne Beach.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    Try the controllers as quads for the smaller stuff and the AM2 for thruster configuration (tech flex)

Leave a comment:

• buzzy
    replied
    I use PC7's as a thruster on the same board at the same weight and like it. I have some controller type quads from Indo Fins which I still haven't tried out but if I get a 1-2 foot and mushy day over the next few days I'll use them and report. IO just got my stitches out and itching to get in a surf before I'm landlocked for a week over Xmas in Melbourne Australia.

Leave a comment:

• mkg
    replied
    Iggy, It's nice to get "lost" for a period of time but it's good to come back to the beach.

I weigh 200 right now I expect to lose 15 pounds or so . The surf in Florida is mostly sandbar breaks although Sebastian inlet is only 30 minutes away it's kind of a baby wedge . The jetty angles to the southeast so any east or northeast swell causes the waves to bounce off the jetty and create a wedge of incoming wave and the bounced wave .

Mike

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    Hey Mike hapy to hear!!, welcome back to civilyzation... Although sometes I wish I could loose myself for a while.
    As far as fins are comcerned, grab a set of thruster and a set of quads. What's your weight and where would you be surfing the board mostly?

Leave a comment:

• mkg
    replied
    Slowman , I'm jumping up and down to get moved and can't wait to get back in the water.
    Don't get me wrong I'm stoked to have this board ready and waiting for when I pull into town.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Slowman
    replied
    MKG, I've been riding epoxy construction boards for years and heard all the problems but seen none and I have a lot of friends with epoxy boards too. I wouldn't travel with anything but epoxy boards, due to the extra strength and reduced weight. I'm new to Firewire but it feels and appears as solid and light as any expoxy construction I've used. I still have PU boards too (sometimes because that is what the shape you want comes in) and they are noticeably heavier and on the whole tend to dent and get deck depressions more easily.

Anyway, you've bought it now, you won't regret it, just go ride it when it comes and have fun. I'm a bit of a bargain hunter but once I find a bargain I resist looking around after I buy...chances are you will find a better bargain and make yourself unhappy. You're kind of doing the same thing, after you've made the decision no point looking for things to cause doubt and ruin what should be satisfaction.
    Last edited by Slowman; 12-19-2011, 12:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X