X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tallkook
    started a topic 6'8" Dominator in good waves

6'8" Dominator in good waves

Wondering if anyone has the 6'8" Dominator and how it goes in better waves. Clean 3-5 foot east coast Australia. I'm 196cm and 90kg low intermediate surfer, who loves a bit of volume. I have the opportunity to get one 2nd hand for a great price. Thanks.

• cuttlefish
    replied
    Reading through the thread Tallkook, I knew you'd be fine on the 6'8".
    Anyone who's accustomed to riding McCoys (yourself, Buzzy and I) know exactly where you're coming from.
    Others who haven't ridden them are shocked that we can look at the higher volume Firewire's and go "look normal to me" because you have to see a McCoy in person to appreciate the amount of foam used.
    Where does everyone think Dan Mann got the idea for a dominator from?
    The nugget DNA is as obvious as the nose on your face.
    Just that Dan used a more conventional bottom countour and the lightness of Firewire technology to create a board that has appealed to more than a heavily glassed, thick, convex bottomed McCoy ever will.
    Thing is Geoff knows how to make thick, boaty boards that work quite well, especially in hollower waves.
    This goes against the widely held belief that wide thick tails will spin out when used in larger hollower waves.
    Hence the recommendations to go a lot shorter and consequently thinner (otherwise you'll spin out and die...chuckle).
    I've ridden the 6'6" Dom in dredging head high plus Gold coast barrels and had no issue with the wide tail holding while using MR TFX's and a trailer.
    My mate who's a lot lighter than me has used his 6' Dom exclusively on Mentawais and Lakey's peak trips with no issues at all.
    Last edited by cuttlefish; 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tallkook
    replied
    Righto, a couple of months in on the big ole Dominator so time for one last update. I've had it out in everything from small mush to clean overhead swell and I'm still stoked with how the board goes. I've got it set up as a thruster with PC7's and it just flies. The bigger it gets the better it goes for me. I'm used to massive volume from riding the McCoy's, so I'm not finding the volume much of an issue except for a poorly timed duckdive or two. Bottom line is, even at 608, the Dominator is fast and loose and heaps of fun. Huge wave count and lots of fun equals satifying surfing in my books, so I'm loving it. Awesome shape. Off to the Maldives in August and it will be the first board packed.

Leave a comment:

• surferireland
    replied
    Yeah Tallkook - the dom is one of the greatest board designs ever. Get in the water as much as you can and it'll keep getting better.

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    Enjoy buddy!!!! give her some hours!

Leave a comment:

• tallkook
    replied
    OK I've had the 608 FST Dominator for a couple of weeks now and had the chance over the last couple of days to try it out in reasonable conditions. I have surfed it in just overhead wave faces and can report that I had a lot of fun. It catches waves with very little effort and I had no problem with decent bottom turns and cutbacks. It seems fast and very loose for it's size and I think it will serve me well in most of the conditions I encounter. I have surfed it as a thruster and a quad, with the thruster setup working best for me so far (I've never surfed a quad before, hence my preference I suspect). Anyway I'm happy, but you were all correct, I could easily handle the 606 and it will be on my hitlist next time I'm due for a new board. The 608 was cheap and it's heaps of fun so I'm stoked. Thanks to all for their comments and help.

Leave a comment:

• buzzy
    replied
    Look forward to the update. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• tallkook
    replied
    OK so had the first surf on the 608 Dominator this morning. Waves were tiny and closing out so not the best testing ground.

As everyone has been saying, it's a lot of board, however the volume felt very familiar after surfing the McCoys. Super easy to paddle and catch waves on and for the limited rides I was getting it felt very agile. Looking forward to getting it out in some better waves to put it through it's paces. So far, it is promising but the jury is still out.

Will report back for those interested after a few more surfs this week. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• tallkook
    replied
    My thoughts exactly buzzy. 604 Alternator sounds way too small for me and my abilities. My McCoys are 606 and 604 but have huge volume at 3 inches thick.

Don't get the 608 Dom for a few days yet but will report back when I've had a couple of surfs on it. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• buzzy
    replied
    Chris, my call is that at that weight at Tallkook's age coming off a super meaty McCoy nugget @ 7'2" a 6'4" Alternator would feel way too small.

I'd love to hear though how the 6'8" is coming along.

Leave a comment:

• tallkook
    replied
    Was that directed at me Chris?? 604 Alternator sounds way too small for me and my abilities. I like the idea of a hybrid rather than shortboard shape. All the hype about the Hellfire has me interested. I reckon the volume calculator has me at about 45 litres (considering I like volume), which is why I'm not too concerned about a 608 Dom.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    have you had a look at the 604 Alternator?? might be a bit better for your weight?

Leave a comment:

• Ben
    replied
    Dom for 95 kgs and 184 cm intermediate?

Hi all,

Great post, not trying to hijack the post here, just want to hear the opinions for size on the Dom for my size and skill, as the discussion is touching base on the height x weight vs Dom size too. I am 35 yrs, surfing for 5 yrs, surf 2-3 per week, my physical condition is good, though gained a couple of kgs since my days with pro windsurfing.

I am now on a 6'2 JS Blackbox with 34.7 liters, feels kind of small in volume. I also have a performance 6'6 19,5, but will less volume, made by a local shaper, but that is kind of the same too little volume, hence I am not the typical Brazilian skinny type surfer :-)....

I can catch waves in good conditions, but timing-wise I am often late for the local hollow beach break surf, I am a strong paddler, however I feel that I sit a little deep in the water. I was considering the Dom 6.4, as it will be significantly larger then the JS i have now, I am worried about the volume, hence can I still duck dive in bigger surf and shallow beach breaks, which I often surf here in southern Brazil. for a second board I am considering the Alternator in 6.8, for the more 'perfect' hollow waves we sometimes get here.

Do you recon that this will be a good combo, and what about the size of the Dom and Alternator for my abilities and size? thanks

Leave a comment:

• core personal training
    replied
    get out there iggy..!!!

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    Buddy enjoy!!!.Me I have this in front of me and can't jump just yet. I reckon the sweet potato or the Dominator will go insane here403177_10150423535481571_565031570_8664506_351384053_n.jpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X