Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quad fins with stabilizer fin (some might say knubster)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad fins with stabilizer fin (some might say knubster)

This last weekend in Sydney we got a nice little pulse of swell. Which gave me a chance to try my new dominator in some reasonable waves. Friday was about 2-3' and Saturday afternoon was about 5' and Sunday morning before the NE came up we had clean 6' (somewhere south of Sydney) and maybe slightly bigger on the bombs.

Saturday was a really nice surprise as it was a very light southerly. Southerlies are badness usually but this was just puffing every now and then and the conditions were glassy and only half a dozen of us on the whole beach! Uncrowded waves on a Saturday afternoon - a real delight. The crew had persevered with the morning's 2-3' and gone home and the NE swell built all afternoon. If you're not getting this, it was bloody good! For me especially, as I decided to make a little stabilizer fin for the 5th fin slot on my dominator - if Kelly does it, it must be good, right? So I gave it a try, all those concerns about the dom not having enough drive and pivot and surfing kind of flat were put to rest. It just went insane, on rail turns, vertical in the pocket and more speed it seemed than with just the quads.

Here was my first attempt, the "slug", a GX cut about 3/4" trailing back down to 1/2"...
    121220111517.jpg
    It really made the board go the way I wanted it to. I always felt that quads need a little bit of something down the centre to give them something to pivot off, a double concave gives you a ridge which does the trick and I think the centre vertex (pointy bit) of a bat tail helps too. The dominator being a single concave needed a bit of help and this seemed to work well.

The next day, Sunday, we had some clean 6' waves early in the morning and I'd decided to go for a more refined looking stabilizer fin more like the knubster shape though only half its height at 1". This one was an MR TX trailer fin which I cut down and foiled. Perhaps just for the aesthetics. Here it is...
    121220111516.jpg
    It is hard to say which one works better but I'm thinking the first one despite its cruder looks, either way they both work very well. I have a feeling the first one is a tad looser because it is a little bit lower and the highest point is further forward. One thing's for sure - I'll be keeping the Dominator!
    Last edited by Slowman; 12-12-2011, 01:57 PM.

• luismx
    replied
    going on my dom + Hellfire/unibrow :D

Leave a comment:

• Slowman
    replied
    yew, saving that for a technograin spitfire?

Leave a comment:

• luismx
    replied
    DSC_3347.jpg

My home made Woodster! :D

Leave a comment:

• Slowman
    replied
    Jus, looks good to me, looks roughly the same as my placement using a cut down FCS MR TFX fin.

Leave a comment:

• jus
    replied
    knubster.JPG
    My Futures attempt at a fifth fin on hellfire - I just cut it to match futures box so not sure if it is forward or back of where and FCS version would sit. Anyone have any ideas about the placement

Leave a comment:

• Huyseman
    replied
    Originally posted by Slowman View Post
    Those fins look like solid fibreglass for certain and I don't think the K-flex was fibreglass, more some kind of rubber/plastic. I was going to say PG5s but they don't even have a logo on them. Hard to say but the template looks similar to me...
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]905[/ATTACH]
    I believe they are prototypes - here's a screenshot of Kelly changing his fins in US Open

Screen Shot 2012-08-03 at 5.26.28 PM.jpg

Leave a comment:

• DGR
    replied
    I am enjoying my nub on and off on my spitfire. I am riding with MF1 fronts and SXQ rears(shapers version of gxq). Without the Knub I find this set up super fast and fun.
    With the nub the board definitely feels slower and a bit draggy, especially noticeable in fat waves. In powerful waves though I really like the feeling through top turns, it sort of helps you push back into the wave faster. While slower than just the quad it is still and looser and faster than a thruster. I will keep using the nub in preference over the thruster for more powerful waves on the spitfire in future

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    the other thing to note is that just putting any quad set in with a knub won't equal the same thing on all boards. Notice how far back and how close to the stringer Kelly's trailing quad fins are. That creates a much more thruster like feeling than something like a potatonator which has the trailers a little further out towards the rail.

It will take a little experimentation to figure out which quad set works best with the knub i feel.

Leave a comment:

• Slowman
    replied
    Those fins look like solid fibreglass for certain and I don't think the K-flex was fibreglass, more some kind of rubber/plastic. I was going to say PG5s but they don't even have a logo on them. Hard to say but the template looks similar to me...
    306.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    They are the FCS Prototype fibreglass material I think.
    When Kelly won his 7x title FCS released 3000 Fibreglass k2.1 sets so you could try and track some of those down.

Leave a comment:

• Huyseman
    replied
    Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
    Fibreglass K2.1s rather than Performance Core I think.
    I think you were right :)

Screen Shot 2012-07-31 at 3.30.37 PM.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Huyseman
    replied
    Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
    I don't think so... ;)
    The fiberglass K2.1 have the white circle and the model written

K2.111.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Huyseman
    replied
    Does anyone know what fins are the blue ones - not the K2.1 as shown in the other picture..

kelly-slaters-5-fin.jpgslater-nubster-462.jpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X