Any Creeper feedback?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Creeper feedback?

I have been considering this board as a step down so to speak of. Something for our pretty typical Costa Rica beach break days. Chest to head high, usually soft, slow take offs or just about total closeout.

Would love some feedback about experiences and volume from someone who has ridden one. Thinking just a little mor volume than my performance board of around 31l. So maybe a 510 Creeper at 34l. Which would be 1" shorter than my other board. Not truly considering a Groveler, but rather something that gets into waves easier and earlier whne it is soft and hard to get into the waves.
    Think the Creeper should paddle fast, but really hard to know. Maybe a Greedy Beaver is a better idea? Just not sure about that huge nose when it does close out?

Thaks for any feedback. i am 5'10" and 160 lbs intermediate level. Fit.
    Last edited by Gman n CR; 05-23-2016, 03:22 PM.

Hey Gman n CR, Havn't ridden those to boards but I recommend a Tomo Evo timbertek that will be released around October. The EVO will excel in the wave conditions you described, such a easy board to ride you feel like you are surfing like a champ, paddles into waves early and easy, it's so fast you can make close out sections it maintains speed and momentum with tons of drive and glide no pumping. Creeper could be a winner, hopefully you get some more reviews.
    Last edited by Fitchy; 05-25-2016, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks for,the feedback Fitchy.

Evo sounds like a fun board, just never ridden a board that short, 507. Creeper would be a little longer in same volume.

Still hoping someone who has ridden a Creeper. Looks like it may be a fast and stable ride, for smooth short board performance? Eyeing one, but really like to see feedback from someone who has been on one, even if it is Machado himself, ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Gman n CR View Post
        I have been considering this board as a step down so to speak of. Something for our pretty typical Costa Rica beach break days. Chest to head high, usually soft, slow take offs or just about total closeout.

Would love some feedback about experiences and volume from someone who has ridden one. Thinking just a little mor volume than my performance board of around 31l. So maybe a 510 Creeper at 34l. Which would be 1" shorter than my other board. Not truly considering a Groveler, but rather something that gets into waves easier and earlier whne it is soft and hard to get into the waves.
        Think the Creeper should paddle fast, but really hard to know. Maybe a Greedy Beaver is a better idea? Just not sure about that huge nose when it does close out?

Thaks for any feedback. i am 5'10" and 160 lbs intermediate level. Fit.

I've ridden a 5-6 Creeper a few times and its the weirdest board I've ridden. To describe it in a few short words...It rides straight and fast... No matter what fins are in (thruster or quad, I though quad actually dragged a bit), contrary to what you would think. It definitely gives you a DIFFERENT ride. The creeper does paddle remarkalby well, the 5-6 felt like a 32 L board. I don't think I'd like it in pumping surf.

I just don't like the Greedy Beaver.

When I think of Rob Machado and his style, I think of how the Creeper rides for sure.

Comment

creeper review

Very nice board indeed so far. I'm 40 86kgs and a pretty average surfer surfing mainly my local wave which is fairly flat faced and cruisy most of the time and is dominated by longboards and sups so very hard to get waves on a shortboard.

Ok so first off as everyone has been saying.. Seriously where is the 44Litres of volume hiding in this board. When you put it under your arm and feel the rails and even just looking at it it definitely feels like it's got at least a couple less litres of volume. I usually run around 38-42Litres in a shortboard/hybrid and 42-46 ish in a groveller and this definitely feels like it's more like 40-42 than 44 to me. When your paddling it you sure believe the volume is there though... This board paddles great... Possibly the best paddler I have had for the volume though I am used to shorter grovelers and hybrids so that extra rail length might be making some difference as well as the full nose and fairly flat rocker. I might have picked a 6'2" if I were buying new (or not even picked one at all) but a 6'4" popped up second hand and I didn't think the extra volume would be too detrimental in this shape for the waves I surf. Guess I was thinking if it's a like mini mid length that could be really cool and it is very cool :-).

So design wise this is a very clever but also simple board and I really think Rob could be one of the surprise packages as far as sharpers go and i'm pretty sure were gonna see some absolute gems coming from him and. He might not be your first choice or the most hyped shaper buy I would definitely suggest giving his shapes a look.. I'm already thinking about trying an almond butter after just a couple of rides on the creeper as that could be a great board to replace my spitfire or even my rocket V2...

The outline is smooth and blended very much like like a sleek update and shrinking down of a midlength or more 70 inspired outline. I believe this was conceived as a 7'6" or something originally so that makes sense. This kind of design combined with some modern features and concaves actually seems to be coming up as a winning formula for average surfers in average waves lately.. Take the Hypto for example... and off topic.. Yes they have similarities but they are also completely different boards in my opinion.. I have a 6'2" 38 liter Hypto and I can tell you i'm pretty sure that wouldn't work as well for me with 44 liters in it as the creeper does. I think the Hypto is a performance orientated shape that happens to paddle and glide much better than the volume would suggest and is fairly forgiving. The creeper is a fun everymans everyday board that's easy to ride but also just happens to rip harder than you would expect :-) The Hypto is definitely all volume and width up front and narrow and performance out the back where as the creeper is much more balanced and blended spread of width and volume throughout the board. In my opinion the Creeper is a better board for average people in average waves. The HS so far I have ridden and thought yeah that's fun but not really mind blowingly different from other my other shortboards and the Creeper was like ohhh.. This is something different and special and fun :-) Ok off track Hypto comparison over..

The outline has a really nice smooth blended shape to it. Rounded into the nose then runs a fairly straight curve through the middle staying fairly wide through the back and coming into to a rounded but still quite refined semi pulled in Thumb/round pin tail with a wee point to it's tip. The tail is domed off to reduce volume too so this combined with the bottom contours make for better response and hold than you might think.

The bottom contours are really interesting.. It's got a some roll/belly in the nose entry then goes into a bit of single under the chest and front foot then runs a long Vee with double from around the middle of the board all the way back. Laid flat the Vee sits deeper into the water than the rail and runs a flatter rocker line than the rail too. I'm no expert but from what I have seen and read the nose belly should help entry into the wave a little by spreading the water and and cut through chop the single should create a little speed generation under the front foot and start to channel the water into the Double through to fins and the Vee along with the double should all assist with rail to rail transfer and make the board responsive. I believe doubles help with hold too in thicker and epoxy boards. Vee is apparently also good at managing choppy conditions so In theory seems like the best of all worlds for versatility??. I really like the fact that the tail has the Vee running a fairly flat rocker line out of the tail at the stringer/centre of the board but out at the rail the tail rocker is increased, seems like this will give you the flatness and speed but some nice tail curve for your rail turns. Pretty sure this makes the tail roll from side to side easily too. Chris does a good job of explaining this in the video. Its got a really nice overall rocker too and would be pretty versatile in most average waves I would have thought it's got a bit of nose rocker and a little tail rocker and a good long flatter engine section the thickness up in the nose is misleading wehn your on the board as it makes the nose rocker look flatter than it is but it's actually pretty decent in reality when your pulling into waves. The rocker combined with the nice rails and thinned out round tail should see you right in stomach to overhead waves I would say. Not had it in bigger waves yet but but if feels fairly confident and your in early by default by the way it paddles so your not needing to sit in that much of a critical spot to start with..

Ok so ride report. Chest high A frame semi onshore peelers with a bit of shifty peak action. The creeper paddles great.. And I mean great.. Still duck dives ok for 44 litres and a semi wide nose too but not sure how I would fair if i were wanting to get deep under more powerful waves. Saying that I could be on the 6'2" and that would definitely still duck dive well and probably have more even more hold too. I could also be stoked on a 7'6" if I was looking for a nice mid length. I think it is just a genuinely versatile shape and would work in a bunch of sizes depending on what you were looking for. You pull in and it holds a nice long rail turn easily and feels well connected to the wave. Put your foot down and the tail responds and sinks much more than you would expect. You can pull some nice smooth cutbacks front or backside and it's still stable and forgiving and not too sensitive to your foot position. You don't have to be totally over the tail to get it to respond which is great as when you move your weight forward a bit it stats to feel like it's got some midlength style glide ready to be tapped into as well as having some great response off the tail.. This is still quite a little performer really for your average surfer.. I didn't feel like it was holding me back much more than something that might look a bit more racy on paper. For me it works with thruster or quad. Quad position is more close to the stringer than a really on rail retro style quad so set up accordingly. I put 50/50 foiled quads in and felt loose and smooth. Thruster feels a wee bit more direct as they do but I really enjoyed the quad. Fins are personal choice but for me i would be happy with a set of GAM Large in a thruster or a quad. If I had Futures boxes I would likely put up the Hayden Shapes Large in a quad. Others are saying performers are fine so if your looking for a good place to start just put the thrusters you trust in and go from there..

So Summary is the Creeper is quite a special wee board and well worth a look.I think it will surpass most peoples expectations for paddle power performance and wave range compared to what you would think looking at the board.. If you are a longboard and midlength rider looking for a sensible shortboard with performance and that bit of retro glide feeling thrown in this would be the board for you and the transition between your boards would absolutely make sense and if your a shortboarder looking for a fun loose all rounder for small to medium waves it will do that too. Bottom line is this board should put a smile on most normal surfers faces as long as they have the right approach to it. I'm thinking the Creeper should be renamed the Keeper so far :-) Thanks Rob ;-)
          Last edited by lawson45uk; 08-14-2017, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X