If I have a BP, do I need a Chumlee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I have a BP, do I need a Chumlee?

[posted this as a reply to another thread, but figured I might get my question answered more directly if I started my own]

I'm a 6'5", 220lb intermediate surfer who is in love with his 5'11" 47.3L Baked Potato for its ability to do "performance grovelling" around Santa Cruz, CA. However, I'm looking hard at the Chumlee as a marginal step up. I'm torn between the 6'1" 42L and the 6'3" 44L versions. As context, I picked up 5'10" 39.3L Evo on Craigslist, and really like it for mid- to large sized waves. However, it had been through several owners and was pretty beat up when I got it, so I bought a new one at 5'11" 41.3L (at 48, I'm not getting any younger)... and hated it (I'm going to sell it). The extra volume makes it feel unwieldy, and I find I get hung up in the lip on take offs far more on the 5'11" than I do on my trust 5'10". Thus, I'm leaning toward the smaller version of the Chumlee. However, the other side of my brain says that for a groveller it is seldom a bad thing to have more foam. Thoughts? I'm also curious as to how the Chumlee rides differently that the BP, given that they are supposedly both designed for 1-4ft waves. Since I have a BP already, do I really need a Chumlee?

Below is a breakdown of my quiver by volume:

TimberTek Baked Potato - 5'11" (47.3L)
    FST Unibrow - 6'8" (42.1L)
    LFT Evo - 5'11" (41.3L)
    FST Unibrow - 6'6" (40.4L)
    LFT Evo - 5'10" (39.3L)
    LFT Vanguard - 5'11" (39.4L)

Yes, i think you do need a chum![ well, not really, you have so many boards already!]
    But i have evo and chum and i prefer the CL, even though mine is a mini mal at 6'5.
    I got it for long slow walled up waves i ride to compete against sups and long boards.
    It is not for small short walled beachbreak waves obviously, i would like to have a short one as a groveller as i think it has more performance than the evo [in small waves] with its low sharp rails and very light and snappy tech.
    I had a 5'9 BP as a demo for a few days so i know how they surf, CL is way better. Much easier to pump rail to rail to gain speed and will snap tight turns on the face of small waves.

Comment

Thoughts on sizing?

Comment

I think either one (6'1" or 6'3") would work for you. I feel like the CL has a pretty big sweet spot in terms of sizing. People have posted very positive reviews on this forum for volume/weight ratios ranging from 0.38 to 0.5. I've ridden the CL in two different sizes and can see why that is.

But in your case, I think it would make the most sense to get the 6'1" in terms of slotting it into your quiver. That way its not overlapping too much with your baked and will definitely give you a bit more range. You could pull out the baked potato as a long board substitute when the tide is high or waves are otherwise mushy or soft and grab the CL for all around small wave shredding when you have a bit more shape or steepness to the waves.

But if you find yourself stressed out over which board to bring every time you are loading up your car, it might be time to trim down the quiver a bit and simplify things :-) Otherwise, as long as you don't have a wife complaining about 7 boards in the garage, rock on man!

Comment

Does your answer on sizing change if I say I'm going to sell the 5'11" Evo?

Comment

I've been curious if people typically size up their grovelers compared to their everyday shortboard. I typically ride a volume to weight ratio of about 0.42, and am considering a chumlee for next summer. I'd be on a 5.9 or 5.11. Probably depends on intended use. The 5'11 would put me 3 to 4 Lmore than my daily driver. According to the wire podcast a lot of the firewire guys like their Dan Mann boards about 3 L more than their normal Shortboard. Food for thought.

Comment

Volume in grovellers that require more rider input, like the CL, puddle jumper etc, performance grovellers, should be at the higher end of your range.
              The lower rails engage in the wave easier than a potato and allow more agressive surfing.
              Often overlooked is age/fitness levels, younger with more strength can ride lower volume with ease.
              You have to sum up how you surf, and how much you want to sacrifice ease of paddling for performance, and take in to account the waves you will ride it in.
              I am 57, 95kg, 6'3 and would ride a 6'3 CL in similar waves i surf my evo.

Comment

looking at your stats and boards again, and the fact you hated the bigger evo, go the 6'1 CL. Otherwise it will overlap your BP if you go bigger.
                The CL can be ridden more as an everyday shortboard despite its huge wide tail. [btw, 48 is not old] ;]
                the other thing that is different is the helium tech, being so light and snappy it will be way different to your other boards.
                Last edited by evo maniac; 10-04-2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Id say 61. if your performance volume ranges 38-40 (makes sense at 220lb, I am 64/195lb on no less than 33,5 L) youd be looking at a CL 3 L higher. You dont want to match your height AND you do surf Santa Cruz so your waves do have punch, its not Florida.

Comment

hey apache, been surfin? i was watching comp in portugal and it looked more manageable.

Comment

SD_Dan, I think it really depends on where you are going to be surfing the groveler. But generally speaking, if you are already at 0.42, I don't think there is much reason to go higher volume than that The lower rocker, outline, tail shape, and volume distribution of a groveler will do enough to make the smaller waves seem like more fun.

But, if your plan for riding the groveler includes really soft waves like Tourmaline, Cardiff reef, 15th St Del Mar, Swami's, Pipe's, or any other break that tends to have a large distribution of long boarders around you, then you could easily go up in volume. Like 0.45 or even as high as .50 with no problems. To some degree, the same would apply if you are surfing different breaks but want to surf in less than ideal conditions like very high tide and onshore/mushy days.

On the other hand, if you are surfing breaks with a bit more steepness (and mostly shortboarders around you) , then I think you would have problems if you went over 0.42 on a short, stubby, wide tail board.

At least that is how it works for me. Perhaps someone who is better at man-handling wide board and is really good at transferring weight way back for carves could get an over-volume groveler to go better.

Comment

Thanks for the advice 11th. I think the .42 would do just fine too. I'll have to grab one to try at the next demo day in San Diego.

Comment

I ended up messaging Dan Mann for recommended sizing. He recommended a 5.7 or 5.9 for someone with my height/weight.

Comment

He is a funny lad riding HIS higher in volume than his other boards but recommending going smaller :)))). I think 11thS is on the money with his remark about spots. At your weight you could go 511, too, and make a 59 work as well, but if you want to replace your BP somewhat I guess 511-61 makes more sense as a pure play groveller.

Comment

crap forum

haha, yeah that is funny, basically he is saying that ALL your boards are not right for you. Did you tell him you enjoy riding a 47lt BP?

Anyway, i think apache is right and 11th, depends on the waves and how you will fit it in with your other boards.

As a sidelight to this conversation i swapped boards with 2 guys today who wanted to try my mini mal CL in weak chest high waves.
                              The waves were populated with mostly other surfers on 9ft longboards. 1st guy i swapped with had a PU greedy beaver copy, but only 39lts, way too small for me, he is about 75kgs so my 47lt CL was way too large for him, but he was impressed with its speed.
                              2nd guy had a 6'4 TT spitfire, and the spitfire felt like a tree branch to surf!
                              He was ripping on the big chum and did not want to give it back, he has watched me twice from the beach on it and commented on how fast and flowing it looks on the wave.
                              He was going straight to the surf shop to buy a 6'3 chumlee, haha, i couldnt stop laughing as he was cursing me for ruining his finances, and straining his relationship with his wife!
                              He got back on his spitfire, caught an ok wave, paddled back and said it felt slow.
                              Chumlee will do that.
                              He also has a 5'11 BP
                              Last edited by evo maniac; 10-07-2017, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X