Baked Potato in bigger, hollow waves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked Potato in bigger, hollow waves

I've been surfing my BP 5'5" in Asia for the last week where we had solid hollow waves in the head high range (6ft), and I noticed some things which I would like to hear your experience of.

The bigger the wave gets, the harder it is to paddle in to it (except for late takeoffs right at the breaking peak). It's like it lacks the lift and momentum needed to drop in to the wave smoothly when it gets bigger. The lack of nose rocker makes it nose dive easily as well. I missed some of the best set waves because of this, and ended up super frustrated and exhausted from wasting all my energy for nothing. As soon as the size dropped down a bit, I could paddle in to every wave with ease (like with two strokes). It feels like, the smaller the wave is, the easier it is to paddle in to with the BP.

So, I'm wondering:

What causes this? I'm about 5'7" and 145 lbs and surf right now in board shorts and a rash guard. Can the 36 liters in the 5'5" BP be too much, making the board not connect right with the bigger waves? Or is it the lack of rocker, making it not fit right in the pocket?

I absolutely love the BP, my I'm having doubts about my choice of size for it. I'm also doubting it's ability for the bigger, more powerful stuff, and will probably have to get a step-up board for that. I actually tried a groms shortboard (not Firewire) which was a 6'0" at 26 liter. I felt like the board was much more connected in the water, making it (surprisingly) easier to paddle than my BP. With the BP with my volume, it feels a bit like I'm floating slightly above the water, not making proper contact all the time, if you know what I mean.

Any insights? Perhaps a suggestion for a new board for the better days? The volume calculator says 24-27 liter for the slightly more powerful stuff.

You need a narrower tail. With more powerful waves, if the tail is narrower it can sink into the face of the wave and use the waves power to push you onto the wave, rather than up and over the back. Also, a bit more length will help the board plane easier into bigger surf.

Comment

In all reality, you and everyone else in the world needs atleast two boards, if not three. Hence why everyone on here talks about having a quiver. It's not a selling point, it's just a fact of life.

You'll need one for small days, one for decent surf and one for bigger surf. The last one will not be ridden much, but is always needed. It should also be an easy step-up from your decent surf stick.

Your Baked is great start, it'll handle the majority of your surfing. When it's hollow, you should have a board that has some rocker, but not so much that you can't generate speed. If it has too much rocker, you'll plow throw the water, actually pushing the water. You want to glide when paddling, not plowing. Follow?

So if you have a consistent wave that is hollow barreling, then look for one that is more performance driven. If the wave is not always a barrel or hollow, then look for an everyday type of board.

Now, the exact model....thats up to you. With all of the different tail shapes and nose shapes out there, that will be your preferences.

Good luck! But definitely get atleast one more board or just deal with the pearling and late drops. I hated being pitched over and over. So I saved and got myself a quiver. It's always changing also, but so am I and my abilities.

Comment

I find exactly the same. In small waves the bp catches waves easily. The bigger it gets, the slower it gets into waves. Very strange

Comment

Working...
        X