Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked with Controllers/Rastas fins?

Hi,

I see lots of mentions of people using controller rears with different front fins. Anyone use the full set of quad controllers on their BP?
    Or how about Rastas in the front with Controller rears?
    I ask coz I'm getting a 5'1" BP this weekend and I currently have a set of each of these fins. Wondering should I purchase other fins too.

cheers.

Supposedly the controllers are excellent in the BP. Not tried them myself, but keen to give them a go.

Comment

• Peterleo
      Peterleo commented
      Editing a comment
      Got a set of twin fins from shapers in Australia. $40 reduced from 99. They r the driviest fins out. There like the Rasta quads which I've got. But for 40 instead of 180. There green and black checkered with a smiling face on them. There not concaved and there solid glass. found them less skatier than rastas for heavier surf. More down the line. As of August 2015 they eere $40 on there aussie website. Yu.

I use both the controllers and Rastas in my baked spud and like them both. 80 % of the time I use the controllers. controllers are good for down the line and speed, Rastas are nice and loose in the rear and sometimes Slide out on bigger waves but lots of fun. Yet to mix and match them but I'm sure it would give you something in between

Comment

Thanks Justo and Jd. I'll stick with what I have then and see how I go. Really looking forward to getting this board.

Comment

Youll be stoked needles those are great fins i have never tried controllers but love my rasta quad! Would like to try controllers actually! I always go back to rasta quad plus darc drice center fin in my 501

Comment

Excellent, thanks Nelson. I had the rastas with the darc drive in my PN and that was perfect but when the waves got that little bit bigger/steeper I was getting a bit of chatter when setting up to go vertical. Controllers with no darc drive sorted this problem.
          I'll try it out with both sets and let you know how it goes. Unfortunately not much surf at the moment here on the Illawarra coast. Not even a grovel wave!!
          I picked up the board last Sunday. 5'1" TT. What a sweet looking board.
          Last edited by Needles; 06-24-2015, 06:28 PM.

Comment

It is a great board! I havent really tried bigger fins or controllers but have messed around with the sea shepherd twins and stuff. I think it would do a bit better in bigger surf with more fin as its so wide in the tail but i only really crack mine out when its 1ft anything bigger il ride my MD unless its really fat. My BP is a lot more volume than my MD im considering a 504 dominator too for when the waves are small but have enough grunt that you dont want to be tussling with nearly 30L of volume on the sandbank. But yeh when its just small little piddlers this board wil get you out and ripping all over the place with the rastas in.

Iv experienced that chatter before the same in my MD using the rasta quad and machado thrusters when going really fast. I think its possibly to do with the inside foil on those fins and how flexy they are. Got the JJF thruster for this reason havent tried them yet but theyre a lot stiffer and flatter super thin and light too plus a slightly larger template so hopefully will go well in the juicier stuff.

Comment

Yeah I suppose you're right. Well that's where the controllers come into their own I suppose as they're rock solid.
              Well, let us know how you go with those JJF's. I was hoping to make the BP my 1-3 ft board as I'm used to surfing my PN (in all conditions) which is also 30L at 5'6". The PN catches waves at will and I wanted to basically get a smaller board without sacrificing my wave count. That's when I started to look at the BP 5'1". Basically the same volume..

I've never surfed a BP so I'm nervously awaiting. I'm hoping it's maneuverability and performance is similar to the PN and although it's a half an inch wider it is 5 inches shorter. Hope it doesn't give that crap fat board feel. From all the comments I've read on this site and elsewhere, it appears to be quite responsive and surf similar to the PN having the same pulled in rails and V concave thing going on. Looks like there's a big period 3ft swell coming for next week so that should give the board a good test with the controllers. Should be fun!!

Comment

I surf my MD in 2ft+ if its good.

The BP isnt so good at foam climbs and just doesnt feel as nimble 29.3L vs 25.3L. It really depends on the wave though this morning was lovely little 2ft barrels MD lapped it up no toruble catching waves or gnerating speed and much knifier hold in the face. For sure couldve ridden the BP but mightve got smacked in the face with it a few times and wouldnt have made so many tight little drops and tubes.

Its winter here though and although it was 2ft (aussie so around shoulder high) it was a good swell and the banks are lovely.

I need to try the BP with some more fin in it. Dunno how the JJFs will go in that more thought of them as a good wave fin for my MD. Are controllers targeted at small surf? Maybe the JJ fronts with some big quad rears and darc drive would go good.

It ought to feel pretty simialr to the PN itl just have a bit more glide and lift i imagine.

Comment

Ha you don't want board in the face, that's for sure. Around four months ago I got it twice on the chin in the same session and still have a bump there. I'm thinking it might have actually chipped a bit of bone. Not to worry, still alive.
                  So you like your MD. What size is it?
                  In regards to the controllers, I'm not sure if they're specifically aimed at small surf although I have been using them in all sizes of surf with the PN for the past few months and have no complaints. Even in knee high the board is fast and doesn't lose speed through turns. Not as fast as the Rastas, but nearly. As far as I know they're designed for wide tail boards and heavier surfers. I'm not heavy at around 70Kg but find the controllers great. I do however focus on my back foot doing all the work. My primary reason for getting them was for larger/hollower surf to stop sliding out. They do the job.
                  Well if you have a spare $180 I would highly recommend getting a set of controllers. Never heard anyone complain about them. Only good things.
                  A good combo could be the JJ's at the front and controllers in the rear. No darc drive needed I'd imagine.
                  All guess work as I haven't got out on my BP yet (hopefully tomorrow) but as you say it's a similar ride to the PN and I reckon that combo would work very well with the PN.

Comment

Im about 70kg too but am slightly heavy for me at the moment so maybe a bit less when iv been surfing/training a lot and eating well.

My MD is 508 its a wicked little all rounder! The controllers look great must be a lot more drivey and locked in so might hold better in bigger surf (hard bottom turns is where i found the most problems) the BP has such a wide tail that it should be able to take a lot of fin. If we get some small surf soon i might do a bit more experimenting maybe twin keels plus quad rears but that is LOADS of fin....

Comment

I managed to get a few sessions on the weekend and this morning. Mainly 1-3ft high period and clean. Started off with just the controllers but found I wasn't getting the speed that I would have with the PN. That surprised me as I presumed it would faster. Anyway I then mixed it up with the rastas in the front and controller rears. I think this worked better. A bit more speed and was still able to turn hard with no sliding.
                      It's a fun board for sure. In my first few waves I was digging the nose on late take offs though. Just a matter of getting used to it. Swell set to be 3ft all week so I hope to have it dialed in by the end of the week.

Comment

Yes I know what you mean with the weight back. Have had a week of surfing it nearly everyday and it gets better with each surf. I took out the rear controllers and have it with only the Rastas now as a quad. They've been perfect for the waves we've been having, 1-3ft /knee to head.
                        For anyone that may have the same problems that I was having, I was saying that I thought the board was slowish but I realized my front foot was back too far and so I wasn't really getting the speed down the line. I think it was back because I'm used to seeing a certain amount of board in front of me. Just edging my foot forward a little while finding my line sends the board flying.
                        Goes vertical easy and just is a pleasure. As you say Nelson it really shines in the tiny stuff.
                        I was a little wary after my first few surfs and wasn't feeling the love like everyone else on this forum but as I'm sussing it out I'm really starting to love it. Yewwwwwwww

Comment

(Futures) Roberts V2 with SA rears and a stubby on a TT BP 5-11 my groveler
                          Ht. 6-6 190 pds all giraffe legs
                          Last edited by Fritzkat; 07-24-2015, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Try out Finatics. Basically you can ride any fins for $10 a month, switch out as much as you want. We at www.LuxBarreL.com use the service, Blair and the team over there at Finatics are great.

Originally posted by Needles View Post
                            Hi,

I see lots of mentions of people using controller rears with different front fins. Anyone use the full set of quad controllers on their BP?
                            Or how about Rastas in the front with Controller rears?
                            I ask coz I'm getting a 5'1" BP this weekend and I currently have a set of each of these fins. Wondering should I purchase other fins too.

cheers.

Comment

Working...
                            X