help with Addvance board size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with Addvance board size

Trying to figure out the best size Addvance for me.

I'm female, 5"5", 130lbs, 45 years-old, athletic, good swimmer, been bodysurfing and body boarding South African waves all my life but only started surfing 3 or so years ago in Costa Rica. I live in New York so I'm surfing 1-4 ft wave range. I surf primarily during the summer so it's taking me a long time to progress but I'm inching forward each year and hope to start surfing into the fall this year. I mainly surf on a 9" Gnarloo because it's easy to paddle and catch more waves especially in weak, summer, East Coast conditions. My other board is a 9" Walden Performance Board (from back in the day) and I use it in Montauk when conditions are good. I do struggle a little bit to catch on this board when conditions are not ideal but I prefer it as I have way more control. Lastly, I also skateboard. I have 2 Carvers, a monster and a Green Room.

What I'm looking for: a board that is super easy to paddle, will give me a high wave count, is good for Rockaway type surf, and is good for me to start working on on trimming, turns, carving, etc. NOTE: I am not looking for a performance board. I'll never be doing any crazy cutbacks, etc. I just want a LITTLE more maneuverability than a long board and especially more than the Gnarloo can provide. I'm trying to decide between the 6"10 7"0, 7"2. I'm scared of going too big but also scared of going to small. Suggestions?

I'd be looking at a 606 if I were you. Any larger at it will be difficult to handle. It's a lot of board even at 606. If you're really concerned perhaps look at a 608, but I feel that will be too large.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. My concern with the 6"6" is that I'll struggle to catch waves in the super weak small east coast conditions. Do you think a 6"10" will still feel big for me after a 9" gnarloo log. I'm happy to buy bigger and step down as I improve.

Comment

Don't go too small. I think it is much better to get a bigger board and catch more waves and thus improve. A smaller board too soon is a recipe for unhappiness..
        Last edited by terry; 09-10-2015, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I would see you on 45-50 L max unless you stay on your longboard. Consider a DOM, uni or SF too, especially a bigger UB, as it stays narrower and may be a faster paddler in wave catching. My son and wife struggled on wider boards beyond 21,5'' width and I found narrower boards to catch easier as they glide in faster than wider fish shapes. Best of luck ! 😇

Comment

Can't go wrong with either the 6'6" or 6'8".
          Speaking from personal experience they will paddle like a canoe for you and you will be up and planing on waves nice and early.
          The wide point forward will be great for stability and the flip in the nose will prevent the board pearling on steeper takeoffs.
          Go for it.
          What you want it for fits its design brief (which was explained by Nev in the original Addvance post on the first Firewire forum) nicely.
          Once you're ready to try shortboard style surfing then have a crack at a hybrid like the dominator and so on.

Comment

I've had a 6' 10 and now a 6' 6", I'd say 6' 6' and 6' 8 if you're worried. These boards are HUGE!

Comment

thanks for all the feedback. I'm still worried about going too small but the other day I picked up a fat Walden Magic Model at 23 wide and I could barely get my arm around it. I def need the smaller width of the shorter board.

Comment

I'm 200 Lbs and my 7'2" can be hard to duck dive. You'll never be able to sink one even close to that. If the break you're riding is small that won't matter though

Comment

Working...
                X