• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• robmcn
    started a topic The right board for me?

The right board for me?

Hi,

I am a 30 year old long boarder looking for something to get me into surfing a shorter board and to be able to handle the bigger days. My current board is a high performance longboard, I live and surf in northern portugal, generally quite powerful steep beach breaks, roughly 4 or 5 times a week and weigh around 180lbs, I'd say I'm an intermediate on the longboard and don't want to abandon long boarding. I posted on the old forum regarding a dominator in the bigger sizes but was pointed in the direction of an Addvance, and was thinking a 6"6 might be the right board, any thoughts?

many thanks
    Rob

• iggy
    replied
    I would go for the 6'7".
    The beauty of these boards is that they hold so well, that after you have outgrown the board, if you decide to sell it you can still sell it and a get a good chunk for a new one.
    I would play safe cause going too small you could get frustrated. It's all about determination.

Leave a comment:

• robmcn
    replied
    Ok, max 6"7? So perhaps the 6"5 would be the best compromise, what do you reckon? Thanks for all the help btw

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    Yup, there has to be a compromise

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    The smaller you go the trickier the adjustment will be, but the window of improvement will be larger in the long run.
    If you go bigger now it'll be easier initially but you could find yourself out growing the board more quickly.

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    Too big, I will go max 6'7". It will float you more than plenty
    The fact that you surf 4-5 times a week is gonna have you getting used to that board in no time. Be persistent, remember the first session or two are gonna be to get used to it but once you dial it is fun time!!
    Last edited by iggy; 05-03-2012, 01:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• robmcn
    replied
    My thought had been 6"7, a little less volume than the 6"6 dominator or the Addvance, or perhaps the 6"9 what do you reckon or am I thinking too big?

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    The activator is basically a dominator with a tweaked tail so I think you'll be on the right path. Now you have to focus on the length.
    The transition from the longboard onto the Activator/Dominator will need some adjustment time. You don't want to go to big on either board though.
    Last edited by iggy; 05-03-2012, 01:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    Yeah I think if you're going to over size the board that refined tail of the Activator will be a huge help over the bigger, thicker tail of the Dominator. Especially if you're looking to use it in bigger surf.

Leave a comment:

• robmcn
    replied
    Well apparently there are not any coming to europe, I could make a special order but they said that would take at least a few months and didn't mention cost! I'm basically after something that will allow me to progress to surfing something shorter but handle the bigger days seeing as thats my primary motivation for wanting something shorter to compliment my LB. I'm certain the 6"6 or 6"10 Addvance was the right board but in the absence of being about to get one any time soon trying to work out the best alternative, I know it might take a little longer! The places I've spoken to in the uk reckon the dominator but i was wondering whether the tail of the Activator might cope with being oversized a little better, I'll have a look at the el fuego too, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    How long are they talking about?
    activator_boards.jpgaddvance_boards.jpg

I believe the Activator is definitely a board to consider, hard to compare with the Addvance. You'll have to go a couple of inches longer to get to the same volume as the Addvance.
    The advance has a fuller nose which will help you on smaller days as well.

Have you taken a look at El Fuego?
    el_fuego_boards.jpg
    Last edited by iggy; 05-03-2012, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• robmcn
    replied
    So it looks like I'm going to struggle to get a 6"6 or 6"10 addvance any time soon, both shops I've spoken to in the Uk suggest a 6"4/6"6 dominator, but having looked at the foils of the boards I was wondering whether an activator might be better at the larger sizes, the shape appears similar to the addvance, although obviously more high performance, and would probably be better in larger waves, am I right?

Leave a comment:

• robmcn
    replied
    Thanks, just sent him an email

Leave a comment:

• iggy
    replied
    Have you tried contact Myles?
    myles@firewireeurope.com

Leave a comment:

• robmcn
    replied
    I'm struggling to source a 6"6 or 6"10 Addvance in either portugal where i live or the UK where i am from and so I have been back looking at the other options and was wondering if the activator would be a better option than a dominator as it seems to generally come in slightly longer lengths? any thoughts

Leave a comment:

Working...
X